Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance.

+4
StuW
Kathy
janey
pheasant plucker
8 posters

Go down

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Empty Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance.

Post by pheasant plucker Mon Sep 24 2012, 12:17

My name is Gary,

I bought this puppy when he was eight weeks old and need some help identifying what breed he is. Here are lots of pictures to help, also I have stood him up straight and measured him at withers using a spirit level and he currently stands at 16.5 inches, thanks.

These pictures are at nine weeks.

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Cutebaby

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Nineweekseating

These pictures are from around four months.

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Fourmonthssmiling

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Fourmonthssitting

These pictures are from 7.5 to 8 months.

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Field75months4

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Field75months3

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Field75months2

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Field75months

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Playingwithcat75months

Any help identifying his breed is much appreciated.

Last edited by pheasant plucker on Mon Sep 24 2012, 12:40; edited 1 time in total
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson Fury
Dog(s) Ages : eight months
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Empty Re: Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 12:36

Hi & welcome.

He's a beauty, isn't he? What were you told he was?

Back to top Go down

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Empty Re: Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance.

Post by janey Mon Sep 24 2012, 12:38

Hi and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 24 2012, 12:41

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

This little fella looks very much like our dog Rocky who is supposed to be Staffy/Border Collie cross, he maybe the same cross. Very handsome whatever he turns out to be.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Mon Sep 24 2012, 13:19

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

I was told he was a full staff and that he was the result of an oops litter between two family dogs that were presented to me, both of which appeared to be full staffordshire bull terrier. I took a friend who has two k.c. reg. staffs with me to view the pups for peace of mind.

I have to say that he did look full to me until he hit five months, he is obviously very large for eight months old at 16.5 inches. I phoned the guy I bought him from and explained that I love the puppy and would not be looking to create any issues for him but that I would just like the truth and he said "I don't know what to tell you, they are full staffordshire bull terrier."

I love my pup, my six year old son chose him and named him "Tyson Fury" and I hope nobody gets me wrong, I am not concerned about what breed he is, but I feel I would like to know and before sending off a very expensive DNA test I thought I would try my luck here.

I don't know if this helps but he weighs over 20KG, can jump and grab branches up to 6.5 feet, sprints at about 20+mph and loves to playfight with any dog, usually until the other dog is laying on the floor knackered and Tyson is walking around them in a circle barking in a friendly play type manner. I met a girl yesterday who had a two and a bit year old 3/4 staff 1/4 bull terrier and my pup was exactly the same size but with a slightly bigger head.

pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 13:29

I'd say he certainly isn't a full staff. Definitely has staff in him, no question about that! Maybe staff x Labrador? Looks a bit too big for a staff x collie.

If he was the result of a staff x staff lying then I would almost certainly say that one of those staffs had something else in them!

He is a beautiful dog, though & in great condition. He's a credit to you!

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon Sep 24 2012, 13:53

Same as Caryll, I thought staff x lab aswell? 4th pic he looks like a lab! Lovely looking dog though
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 13:56

P.S. I really wouldn't bother with DNA testing unless you intend to sue the people you got him from. It's expensive & doesn't change anything. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Mon Sep 24 2012, 15:14

Hi to everybody, thank you to you all.

To everybody that is thinking that he may be crossed with labrador can I please ask what features you believe resemble labrador?
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 15:27

pheasant plucker wrote:
Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. Field75months2

The idea of him being a Labrador cross is just a guess! His general size and shape/ head shape remind me of other staff x labs I've seen.

Whatever he is, he's a very striking & handsome boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Mon Sep 24 2012, 16:23

[/quote] The idea of him being a Labrador cross is just a guess! His general size and shape/ head shape remind me of other staff x labs I've seen.

Whatever he is, he's a very striking & handsome boy! [/quote]

Thanks, yeah he is wonderful, with regards to the DNA, wisdom panel do a mixed breed test for £40 which is pretty reasonable.

Is it possible that one of his parents had some lab in them that was completely invisible and has been passed on or is it more likely that the people are fibbing?
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 16:27

pheasant plucker wrote:
Caryll wrote: The idea of him being a Labrador cross is just a guess! His general size and shape/ head shape remind me of other staff x labs I've seen.

Whatever he is, he's a very striking & handsome boy!

Is it possible that one of his parents had some lab in them that was completely invisible and has been passed on or is it more likely that the people are fibbing?

It could be either. Although I'd be more inclined to think that the dog they showed you maybe wasn't the father? Were all the pups similar?

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Sep 24 2012, 17:15

That tail and the length of his body plus the fact that you say he can run so fast hints at a Greyhound or maybe a lurcher ? there are a good few lurchers out there cross bull have a look at this one see what you think , it's a staffy x lurcher

Last edited by Caryll on Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link deleted - sorry, we don't allow links to other staffy forums.)
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa Mon Sep 24 2012, 18:10

Maybe a male snuck onto the guy's property when he wasn't looking... Did you pay a lot for him?
Tessa
Tessa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Amado
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/amado.richardson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 19:25

Hello and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin

Stop worrying about what he is and just enjoy him Smile but for the record I could go with Lab or Lurcher in his make up but you should be proud of him for what he is Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:38

I'm no good at guessing crosses, but my first thought was Staff x Labrador too. Either way, he's a beautiful dog Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:13

Hi and welcome from us and Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:16

Dave wrote:Hello and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin

Stop worrying about what he is and just enjoy him Smile but for the record I could go with Lab or Lurcher in his make up but you should be proud of him for what he is Wink

Hi,

I do love him to bits, I did explain earlier in the post that I am not concerned what he is but that I am keen to find out and if people cannot ID his breed by sight I am more than happy to pay the £40.

Sorry I did not do the multi quote thing but to the guy that asked what I paid for him £150

Once when I was waiting outside a supermarket with him when he was about three months old a posh lady tried to get me to name my price in the street for him, people always stop me and say "what's he crossed with?" and I can't find out for myself.

Beast of a dog though, he is very very powerful.
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:21

so it's just pure curiosity ?? It's quite well known that these DNA tests can be quite unreliable

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:22

pheasant plucker wrote:Beast of a dog though, he is very very powerful.

Yes, he looks it. Fantastic condition - his coat really gleams!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:25

pheasant plucker wrote:I do love him to bits, I did explain earlier in the post that I am not concerned what he is but that I am keen to find out and if people cannot ID his breed by sight I am more than happy to pay the £40.

For the DNA test to mean anything you would also have to test the DNA of his sire & dam. The DNA tests that purport to tell you what breeds of dog your dog is made up from are so unreliable that they are little more than a scam. A short while ago a lady with a pure bred spaniel did a dna test just for the fun of it. Her dog was, without doubt, pure bred for at least 30 generations and yet the test came back that there was Great Dane in her! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:40

Caryll wrote:

For the DNA test to mean anything you would also have to test the DNA of his sire & dam. The DNA tests that purport to tell you what breeds of dog your dog is made up from are so unreliable that they are little more than a scam. A short while ago a lady with a pure bred spaniel did a dna test just for the fun of it. Her dog was, without doubt, pure bred for at least 30 generations and yet the test came back that there was Great Dane in her! Rolling Eyes

wow you just never know what you are going to turn up do you, fascinating.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:56

That's what I mean - it was total rubbish! Even before the breed had been recognised there was never any great dane used!

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Mon Sep 24 2012, 22:00

Looks like my old staffie x lab, at 13 months he was 26kilos and behaved exactly the same. Very nice doggie though x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB-19/08/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25 2012, 10:17

Hello and welcome from me & Tyson.

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Tue Sep 25 2012, 11:02

Thank you so much for all the welcomes, I can't believe how friendly everybody is, then again it is always dog walkers who stop and talk for twenty minutes when you are out and about with your dog/s.

To answer Dave, yes it is pure curiosity as I am not going to breed any bull breed ever, my Tyson will be neutered but I believe I should wait until he is older as he is a good boy anyway.

I looked up the Wisdom panel DNA test and many people review it as they know the lineage of their dogs and it has turned up a result, they actually sued and got another company shut down on patent rights so for £40 I will take a punt, they have no details of the dog so if it comes back staff cross lab/lurcher or similar I know it's good and if it comes back staff cross jack russell I know it's a load of old pish.

To Caryll thank you, at night time his coat reflects any little bit of light, he loves sardines in tomato sauce as a treat one or two times a week, I think this might of contributed. We first found out he loved fish when he was about three months old because my wife eats peppered mackerel and he went mad for the skins.

Also Caryll, I didn't answer you before, yes all the pups looked like little clones with Tyson being the biggest, my son chose him, then changed his mind to the smallest of the litter and then went with the biggest, I didn't have much coice in the matter.

I would estimate his weight to be close to twenty kilo's, for anyone who is interested in what he does eat.

He eats 250 grams of Lifestage (link at the bottom) for early breakfast. (which is his whole bowl piled up)

Then he eats a level bowl of raw tripe for lunch. (which is the proper blood and guts stuff not for humans, doesn't smell bad unless cooked)

Same as breakfast fo tea at about six P.M.

Eats a big bone from the butchers once a fortnight and a bit of fish here and there as a treat. That Lifestage food is great, I first started using it because my Norwegian forest cat had an extremely sensitive gut, we are talking a big alpha boy cat who would not eat chicken, used to turn his nose up and this food transformed his life.

The puppy food has a zero wheat count and I believe it is the best thing I could feed my dog, he has never had anything that I wouldn't eat, I have eat the tripe, chewed on a cow knuckle once and I regularly eat a couple of his dog biscuits, I imagine myself to be like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon but I know I am not Mel Gibson so I think this is okay.

http://www.jollyes.co.uk/lifestage/dogs
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mac82 Tue Sep 25 2012, 12:20

if this is any help my spikes mam is full staff his dad staff x amstaff, spike is 9 months next week he is 19 inch to the withers and he is 20kg plus, not weighed him for a while, i will put a recent pic on tomorrow for you to have a look at.
mac82
mac82
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 11 jan 20112

Back to top Go down

Post by pheasant plucker Tue Sep 25 2012, 14:06

mac82 wrote:if this is any help my spikes mam is full staff his dad staff x amstaff, spike is 9 months next week he is 19 inch to the withers and he is 20kg plus, not weighed him for a while, i will put a recent pic on tomorrow for you to have a look at.

Hi, surprised I never thought of this as a guess, we used to have a full Amstaff called Jake, was also incredibly strong and fast with a head like a breeze block, pictures would be great, thanks.
pheasant plucker
pheasant plucker

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mac82 Wed Oct 10 2012, 21:26

sorry for the late reply, here is a recent pic of spike, not the best pic i have but most recent 1 i could find Laughing

Hi, I am new and need some advice about this puppy, thanks in advance. 37794_11
mac82
mac82

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 11 jan 20112

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down