what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :(

+2
janey
chmieloaf
6 posters

Go down

what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :( Empty what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :(

Post by chmieloaf Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:35

what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :( P1020570_zps1c638c01
chmieloaf
chmieloaf
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : kobi
Dog(s) Ages : 17 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :( Empty Re: what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :(

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:38

Boomer ball because they can't get their teeth round them if its big enough Smile

Back to top Go down

what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :( Empty Re: what balls can i buy that doesnt wear a dogs teeth? :(

Post by janey Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:46

Great pic, Moo can only have balls that she can destroy so just tennis balls on the shed load! She hates her boomer cause she can't destroy it!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:46

preferably looking for a ball he can put in his mouth so when i throw it he brings it back otherwise ill constantly be chasing the ball to throw it again BUT thanks for that i will get 1 for different activities to use it for x
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:47

and tennis balls are very bad for dogs teeth, if kobi keeps having tennis balls he will have to have his 4 front teeth pulled out because theya re wearing his teeth so much x
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:50

What on earth is he doing to them?!?!

Moo has them, tears the fur off and and chews on a very soggy ball, without popping it! It's fine for her teeth
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbowraine Wed Sep 19 2012, 17:56

I buy kong balls from amazon. The small one has a hole going through it that you can stuff a chew treat in. My staffy carries it around like a lollipop!! He also will not go out without the ball and doesn't like to drop it so I have 2. Then he drops for me to throw the other one lol He's had one for nearly 2 years now and has not managed to wreck it. :-)
Rainbowraine
Rainbowraine
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Sep 19 2012, 18:49

Rocky has the Chuck It balls from amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chuckit-Ultra-Ball-Medium-2-5-inch/dp/B000F4AVPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348076963&sr=8-2
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Sep 19 2012, 18:55

Bailey has 2 kong squeaky balls. Just like a tennis ball but with a squeak.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Wed Sep 19 2012, 19:50

janey wrote:

What on earth is he doing to them?!?!

Moo has them, tears the fur off and and chews on a very soggy ball, without popping it! It's fine for her teeth

hes just bitng them as any other dog would, but kobi will have atennis ball to play with on a walk all the time every day and the vet has said that are wearing the teeth. tennis balls are very bad for dogs teeth you are lucky your dogs havnt worn down. i will buy a couple suggested but will not buy the squeaky 1 as its the same as a tennis ball and he cant have them anymore
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Sep 19 2012, 20:04

Well Moo plays with hers most days, she has perfect teeth, playing with a tennis ball is not going to effect there teeth, for most staffs they split the ball when playing with it as there bite is powerfull. Moo plays fetch with hers outdoors and destroys it when home.

Any ball/toy with a squeak in she will destroy and get the squeaker out, it does her teeth good chewing on something!

I would disagree with your vet there!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Sep 19 2012, 20:19

I was in the same dilema ... Max gets through LOADS of tennis balls cus after a couple days, instead of bringin them back, he'll just sit down and tare it to bits doh ... so I got him a solid rubber one from Pets at Home, but when he bites down on it, his canines go right in and it gets stuck on his teeth!! ... so I stopped using that cus I could see him breaking a fang nail biting .. so I ended up just going back to tennis balls ... lots of um Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Thu Sep 20 2012, 01:32

sorry i was wrong to say your lucky, because majority of dogs dont suffer from it BUT unfortunately maybe kobi is 1 of them dogs....after talking through and narrowing it down i, we, couldnt think of much else but the tennis balls. ive had to watch how he uses his mouth for a while now to see how he bites and chews and he pretty much only uses his 4 front to chew on the balls, kobi may not have as strong teeth as most dogs due to his problems, his allergy and steroids hes been on since a pup,and there has been other people on this site who have had the same problem, so although it may not be that common to most, it does effect some of them.
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:46

I don't really understand what you mean? What problems is a tennis ball causing? I could understand a hard ball wearing down a dogs teeth, kind off, but not a soft ball, just curious as I have never heard of this problem with tennis balls from anyone before.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Thu Sep 20 2012, 12:13

ask your vets, do a lil research on the internet. the fibre that is situated on the outside of the tennis ball can wear a dogs teeth down, NOT the rubber but the fibre surrounding the ball, and as i say kobi may not have as strong teeth as most dogs. puppies, as kobi is still only just cuming up to 2 and has had them since a lil pup everyday, puppies are more common to recieve this sort of wear 'BUT NOT TO A CONCERNING AMOUNT' but unfortunately kobi HAS! which is why i am askingf or different types of bals for him, with all due repsect i am not looking to debate whether my vet is right or not as i put 100 percent trust into her, she has basically bought kobi up aong with me due to his amazingly continuous adventures to the vet on a weekly basis since i bought him home hes not a very well dog in terms of his immune system, his strength in teeth and bones aswell as other things so please dont take the comment b4 as i was saying it effects ALL dogs because thats obviously not the case but in mine and a few others it si Sad
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 14:47

janey wrote:

Great pic, Moo can only have balls that she can destroy so just tennis balls on the shed load! She hates her boomer cause she can't destroy it!

ditto with Ty

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Thu Sep 20 2012, 16:49

un fortunately for me kobi cant have tennnis balls but i am deffo gunna get a boomer ball and harder rubber balls from now on
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 20:50

I think you're all lucky! Dempsey doesn't see the point in chasing balls, let alone bringing them back!

He'll scoot around with his boomer ball, but any other balls he just ignores.

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:57

im deffo not lucky considering the vets want his 4 front teeth out if they get worse Sad
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 10:31

here a link showing what damage tennis balls can do but also you will notice it says the kong tennis balls that have been mentioned are ok so no need to give up on them totally Big Grin

http://www.manteega.com/packlunch/articles/tennisballteeth.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by chmieloaf Fri Sep 28 2012, 12:25

thank you for posting that i now know i can get kong balls lol x
chmieloaf
chmieloaf

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down