Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls

5 posters

Go down

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls Empty Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat Feb 11 2017, 23:02

Two years ago, Rupert swallowed one of these by accident. I went to vet, she did x-ray - there were actually two inside. He needed an operation. It was horrendous and ... there are no words.

Yesterday, the same thing happened. It was another dog's ball and I recognised the danger but, sensing my urgency, I think he got more excited and accidentally swallowed it.

He is now in surgery.

I feel absolutely disgusted with myself for having let this situation arise again.

I would really beg you to keep your dogs away from these balls as they can't get out via any of the normal channels once they are in. Plus, they don't biodegrade.

I hope this is useful to some of you. Just chuck those balls out, if you have any.

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls Empty Re: Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2017, 08:13

Firstly, you really shouldn't feel disgusted with yourself, you reacted as soon as you saw the danger. I hope Rupert's ok after his surgery.

Thanks for the warning. The problem with these mini tennis balls is that they're made for pets! Fine for a chihuahua but not for a staffie. I find it really strange that there aren't more laws on what can be a dog toy. Our guys were given some toys for Christmas that within seconds were shredded into swallowable stuffing. Needless to say they were binned (what a waste of money).

Dogs swallow the most extraordinary things - like here but don't look if you're eating http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230529/Dog-swallowed-26-golf-balls-one-wins-competition-craziest-things-pets-eaten.html. And don't forget the one who ate a string of fairy lights.

Back to top Go down

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls Empty Re: Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls

Post by gillybrent Sun Feb 12 2017, 09:57

don't blame yourself! You really did do everything you could.

please do let us know how he is after the operation - such a scary time for you!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Dukes Momma Sun Feb 12 2017, 10:06

I am so sorry for you and Rupert but please don't feel bad as you did try to stop him, but I know what they are like when they are determined!
I hope he recovers quickly from his op .
Thank you for the warning and I wouldn't buy a small ball, but there is one inside the kong jumbler toy, and duke ripped it open so l threw the tiny ball inside straight in the bin. You have to be so careful , but accidents do happen
Dukes Momma
Dukes Momma
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : born May 2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Feb 12 2017, 10:58

Oh no!! You saw the danger and did what you could but we all know what Staffies are like so please don't blame yourself.

There are so many things that are dangerous for our dogs to play with, my Flo loves to chase wooden sticks on walks but then proceeds to eat them, I mean proper eat as well as rip up. We don't throw them any more, she has a plastic one that she adores and I don't worry that she'll end up in the vets, you can only do what you can Sad

Do let us know how Rupert gets on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Feb 13 2017, 23:04

Hope rupert ges on ok with his operation . U have nothing to blame yourself for.xx

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Feb 16 2017, 12:37

Hi everyone

I progress report: Rupert is out of pet hospital, where he was on a drip, and back at home, on antibiotics, and - I hope - on the mend.

If you could spread the word about these balls. There is just no way, once swallowed, they can get out of a dog's system - if I hadn't witnessed what happened... I don't even like to think...

I have been told to feed him little and often. He also needs the most incredible amount of affection and wants to be hugged and stroked all the time - even more than usual. Dogs are such profound creatures. It is good, at least, to be able to give him that attention and reassurance.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Dukes Momma Thu Feb 16 2017, 15:32

I am so glad to hear that Rupert is on the mend, bless him x
Dukes Momma
Dukes Momma
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : born May 2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Feb 16 2017, 18:46

Thanks for the update and great to read he's on the mend Smile

Please don't let your dogs anywhere near mini tennis balls B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down