A start on raw...

3 posters

Go down

A start on raw... Empty A start on raw...

Post by Jellytot Mon Sep 10 2012, 14:30

You guys have been great answering some queries I've had about raw food for Ralph.

Today I'm going to take the plunge and see how he gets on with some chicken wings, as advised for his dinner tonight Smile

So, Ralph had his normal dry food this morning, and at lunch time. Going forward, I would still like the option of being able to feed him this when it suits me, like if we're away camping, or we go out somewhere for the day and I take him a 'packed lunch' because he's still on 3 meals a day - only being 6 months old. It would be easier to take some dry food, instead of a whole chicken! Laughing

Would someone help me with the following questions, as I can't see a definitive answer in the research that I've been doing.

1. If I make the move to raw, do I have to commit to feeding him that all the time.

2. Would a mix of dry and raw upset his tummy as I belive they digest at different speeds? The two won't be mixed together in one meal - he may have the meat in the evening for example.

3. How much shall I give him - how do I know the equivalent of his normal daily allowence in raw meat?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

A start on raw... Empty Re: A start on raw...

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 10 2012, 14:37

Sorry I cannot give any practical help to you about feeding raw as I never have to my dog. I hope the info sheet below may give you some of the answers you need.

Caryll, Ella and a few of the other members do feed raw so I'm sure they will be able to help:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14864-barf-and-raw-diets

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10 2012, 16:20

Jellytot wrote:You guys have been great answering some queries I've had about raw food for Ralph.

Today I'm going to take the plunge and see how he gets on with some chicken wings, as advised for his dinner tonight Smile

So, Ralph had his normal dry food this morning, and at lunch time. Going forward, I would still like the option of being able to feed him this when it suits me, like if we're away camping, or we go out somewhere for the day and I take him a 'packed lunch' because he's still on 3 meals a day - only being 6 months old. It would be easier to take some dry food, instead of a whole chicken! Laughing

Would someone help me with the following questions, as I can't see a definitive answer in the research that I've been doing.

1. If I make the move to raw, do I have to commit to feeding him that all the time.

2. Would a mix of dry and raw upset his tummy as I belive they digest at different speeds? The two won't be mixed together in one meal - he may have the meat in the evening for example.

3. How much shall I give him - how do I know the equivalent of his normal daily allowence in raw meat?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I personally think that if you want to feed raw i'd either feed full time or continue to feed a few meals a week for the sake of the dental benefits.

If you do want to feed dry and raw make sure you feed one meal of each and as you've said don't mix them.

When feeding raw the amounts depends on the expected adult weight of your dog, and then feed 2-3% of that. So if feeding one meal of raw then half it so you feed 1% a day of raw meat and adjust the amount of dry you feed. Of course nothing needs to be exact and adjust according to the body condition of pupster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Sep 10 2012, 20:40

Ok, so I worked out that Ralph should have about 350 grams a day, divided into 3 meals so that's about 115 grams per meal. That sound right?

Anyway, I gave him one chicken wing weighing 110g.

He sniffed it, walked away from it, came back. Looked at me. Licked it. Ran off. Came back, circled it for a minute. Picked it up. Tried to run into the front room onto the sofa. Was told to get off, took it back to the garden, licked it. Sniffed it, carried it round a bit. Looked at me as if to say 'where are my biscuits', burped, and finally started to chew on it!

Once he'd started chewing it looked like he was enjoying it. Nice crunching sounds and then it was gone.

Thanks for your help. Big Grin
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10 2012, 20:41

Yep that sounds about right to me Smile just either decrease or increase depending if pupster looks thin or porkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 10 2012, 20:43

Well it sounds like a positive start anyway Laughing

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Sep 10 2012, 20:48

I haven't a clue on raw feeding but you could cut to 2 meals a day at 6 mnths, may make things easier and Ralph will be fine Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Sep 10 2012, 20:54

janey wrote:

I haven't a clue on raw feeding but you could cut to 2 meals a day at 6 mnths, may make things easier and Ralph will be fine Smile

Thanks Janey. Was wondering when to do that. Was going to leave it a bit longer, but will do that. Smile
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10 2012, 21:18

Laughing Laughing I remember Dempsey's first raw bone - he did a very similar little 'dance' to Ralph!

Mind you, even now he looks at his bones as if he can't believe he's so lucky! Never gets bored with his food.

I considered feeding one meal dry & one raw, but it was a nuisance so I switched completely. When we went on holiday I sought out the local butcher & he was more than happy to put aside some off cuts of meat & a meaty bone every day. the only day we had a problem was on the sunday because the butcher was closed - so we just bought a lump of meat from Spar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down