House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence

+2
Keith
Leicsblondie
6 posters

Go down

House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence Empty House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence

Post by Leicsblondie Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:54

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmenvfru/writev/dogcontrol/dog.pdf

Makes for interesting reading. Thoughts?
Leicsblondie
Leicsblondie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence Empty Re: House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 14:32

Can't download it on my phone - I'll look later.

Back to top Go down

House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence Empty Re: House of Commons: Dog Control and Welfare - written evidence

Post by Keith Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:25

b) Is sufficient action being taken on pets raised as status dogs to ensure their welfare and reduce their impact on communities?

No - the problem is that a lot of the people who have status dogs will not comply and conform with any legislation, it should be law that these dogs should be neutered so that they are not able to breed with them.

Lol. What?
Define status dog.
Define the boundary between owner and breeder.
Explain how people who "will not comply and conform with legislation" will take any notice of a "law that these dogs should be neutered".

That's on page 4.
Only 189 more pages to go....
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:27

I was going to have a look at this until I saw WD's post and no way can I be bothered to read all that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:32

I read quit a bit of it and got bored of it. Some of what's being said just sounds so extreme. "Hi, let me put this barcode/microchip license thing on your dog Big Grin" what's the point? I like the suggestion about inspecting training classes and behaviourists though, I reckon that's a good one, since there are so many different training methods that it'd be good to see if there's a correlation between dogs with behavioural problems, and the type of training they did.

Back to top Go down

Post by TS06 Tue Oct 09 2012, 00:03

Working dog wrote:the problem is that a lot of the people who have status dogs will not comply and conform with any legislation, it should be law that these dogs should be neutered so that they are not able to breed with them.[/i]

Lol. What?
Define status dog.
Define the boundary between owner and breeder.
Explain how people who "will not comply and conform with legislation" will take any notice of a "law that these dogs should be neutered".

The status dog concept, as a means of grouping together dog breeds for vilification, is absurd. We could define the term to mean breeds currently favoured by thugs.

The thing is that thugs, believe it or not, often lie about the true origin of the dog. Presently banned dogs are passed off as cross Staffies for starters.

Each time a breed is banned, these people will just move onto another breed or find a way round. Nobody wins from this approach.

This is a step in the right direction: http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/Dangerous_Dog_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_(web)_final.pdf

TS06
TS06

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 10:28

They just don't get it, do they? It sin't the dogs they need to tighten up on, it's the people - tougher sentencing, more vigorous policing etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 18:17

b) What actions should Government take to address these issues?
Make it illegal for anybody to breed puppies - if a member of the public has a pregnant bitch it
should be reported to the local authority wardens who could then visit them to give advice as
necessary and make the puppies are ID chipped and suitably rehomed and also give advice
about neutering.

News flash. The stork will now be bringing puppies.

c) Are further controls required on dog breeders, including puppy farms, and those
selling or importing dogs to ensure the welfare of bitches and puppies?
If all puppies had be id chipped before leaving the breeder this would stop irresponsible
breeders who don’t want to abide by rules and regulations and also keep track of all imported dogs and status dogs.

How?

Theni got bored lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 13:54

I thiink introducing Licences for dogs is the way forward. Breeders should be regulated to only provide dogs to people with a licence for one. If each dog recorded and chippe, the owner should then have to have the dog neutered or apply not to have it neutered. Police would be able to stop owners and ask to see there licence for the dog, if they don't have one the dog could be taken away for re-homing or be given back once the owner has gained there licence.

Points could be added to the licence for irrisponsable owners who don't control there dogs, don't clean up after them etc.
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11 2012, 13:58

It's been tried before & didn't work! i still don't think it would work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:01

It would if it was enforced, I'm sure it would also provide a new revenue stream for the Government as well.
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:05

But enforced how & by whom? Dog wardens are useless & there's no money to train them properly. They also have no powers of arrest or detention. The police have already said that they don't have the resources to do it.

Plus, the responsible people will comply but the irresponsible people still won't bother.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:28

Its not an immeadiate fix. I do think that this would be the only way that dog ownership could be controlled.... The police would have to enforce it, the same way they enforce drivers on our roads. If you walk the dog you must be a licence holder or face the concequences.

This is ideal world stuff though!
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:30

It's the enforcement of these things where it all falls down, sadly. I think the license would be a good idea if it is kept on top of, but who will that be down too??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:37

It would have to be the police or PCSO'sat the very least. Applying for a licence should be like going for a driving licence... assesments should be made, responsablity tests dog compatability. This would stop people getting them on a whim. Breeders should only be able to breed the dogs once they have a waiting list of clients ready to take one etc etc
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:38

Maybe I should stand for PM call me
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 14:40

How about first time owners only being able to take rescue dogs?
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11 2012, 15:45

Dan330 wrote:How about first time owners only being able to take rescue dogs?

No. Many people would fall outside rescue criteria & would tberefore never be able to own a dog.

The trouble is, all these sugestions have been mentioned before. Most of them would be too expensive & complicated to set up, and hell to enforce.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Oct 11 2012, 16:46

I do think rescue criteria should be relaxed... there are plenty of us that don't meet it yet own well loved well behaved happy dogs.
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia26 Thu Oct 11 2012, 18:26

Fully agree with most of the paper being unenforceable. Iv got two happy healthy staffs that i love a lot. We did go to a few rescues but because we both work we are not allowed to adopt. Odd because im on nights and him on days. They are only alone for shopping.
We are after two years allowed to foster for a rescue we get our other dog a week or so from now.
there is no way to enforce all of the regulations. neutering, chipping and tattoos have been used for years but even responsible owners forget to change address or other things.
alicia26
alicia26
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : sam & tess
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down