dominance issues

2 posters

Go down

Angel dominance issues

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:00

Hi everyone

I haven't posted for a while, had tons going on with the humans of the household lol!

However, now Zac is starting to exhibit dominance with other dogs and just wondered how I should handle it. He used to sniff and wag his tail but now I've noticed that with males he has started to growl and bark too. He did it today with a lovely rottie who he knows and usually greets nicely! He was trying to put his paws on the other dog and raise himself up.

He is 1 next week and I'm wondering if this is an age thing and what I can do to stop him from doing it?

Any advice gratefully received Smile x x

Irene
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Angel Re: dominance issues

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:09

Probably an age thing. I'd verbally correct him & give him something else to think about - a command, or a little training - then try introducing him to the other dog again.

It could, of course, be the start of da, but only time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:14

He is a teenage hooligan going through his second fear period, this has nothing to do with dominance, more about being a teenage hooligan, trying to see what he can get away with.

I am assuming he isn't neutered so is approaching maturity, it is normal for many entire dogs not to be nice to other entire dogs. You know he does this, distract him before he starts so he doesn't get the change to practise this behaviour, he may do it to a dog that will turn on him so the quicker you distract him the better.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dominance issues  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:20

Caryll wrote:Probably an age thing. I'd verbally correct him & give him something else to think about - a command, or a little training - then try introducing him to the other dog again.

It could, of course, be the start of da, but only time will tell.

Thanks Caryll, I will try the distraction thing and continue with the verbal correction which I did when he has done it.

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:26

I agree that its an age thing. Charlie started doing the same thing at that age and sometimes still does now, although he does stop when I correct him or if the dog makes it clear that it isn't happy with it. I would just correct him if he does it and praise him when he stops. It is hard at that age, Charlie drove me nuts between 8 amd 18 months! Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:30

Cyril baby wrote:He is a teenage hooligan going through his second fear period, this has nothing to do with dominance, more about being a teenage hooligan, trying to see what he can get away with.

I am assuming he isn't neutered so is approaching maturity, it is normal for many entire dogs not to be nice to other entire dogs. You know he does this, distract him before he starts so he doesn't get the change to practise this behaviour, he may do it to a dog that will turn on him so the quicker you distract him the better.

Thanks for the advice, ill def try and distract him as well as correct. You are right Zac has not been neutered x x

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:32

shontelle wrote:I agree that its an age thing. Charlie started doing the same thing at that age and sometimes still does now, although he does stop when I correct him or if the dog makes it clear that it isn't happy with it. I would just correct him if he does it and praise him when he stops. It is hard at that age, Charlie drove me nuts between 8 amd 18 months! Good luck Smile

Great another stroppy teen in the house lol ... I already have two human ones! I guess ill just have to keep correcting him till he gets it Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:36

Irene wrote:
Great another stroppy teen in the house lol ... I already have two human ones! I

I sympathise! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:05

Thank you Caryll lol x x

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:08

I don't suppose you want another two? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:09

You are on the right track with distracting and a verbal correction. We also stopped all interaction and had Suki sit until she was calm before reintroducing her to the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:15

Caryll wrote:I don't suppose you want another two? Rolling Eyes

Noooooooooooo Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:15

Damn! Thought I might be able to get rid of them..........

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:19

You can have my two and Zac if you like Tongues x

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:26

Nooooooo! Surprised

Like you, I think two are enough!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Tue Sep 04 2012, 21:30

Yeah the teenage years are a nightmare -and Zac has now decided to join in with the attitude lol x x

Irene

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:16

The ideal situation with positive training is your dog never gets into a position were you need to correct him because you have anticipated what he is going to do. Written down that looks easy but it isn't, it can be very hard to do. even saying "No" is a correction and ideally the dog shouldn't be in the position were we have to say no.

Only you know your dog, you can anticipate when he is going to do this so step in before he does by distracting him, he never learns that he can do it then. If a dog doesn't learn he can do something it doesn't develop into a problem.

When I read "Correction" I wonder what has been done to the dog, to some it just means saying no, to others it can be a jerk on the lead, a poke, back healing etc.

Positive training means we never have to correct our dogs, there are consequences to the dog if he doesn't do what we want but that is different to a correction. Dogs like us humans like to be rewarded, the consequence to a dog is no reward, this encourages a dog to do what we want, a correction doesn't and if done wrong, a correction can spoil the bonding with our dogs and confuse them.

Nobody is perfect, life would be very dull then, I usually shout "NO" when I see Dolly disapearing over the fence to see her auntie Laura.- at wits end Dolly doesn't understand why I suddenly shout, she probably doesn't hear me because she is focused on Laura. Dolly is 10ins high and the fence is over 5ft.

When a dog is focused on something like trying to hump another, saying "No" won't have any effect because your dog is so focused that he doesn't hear you, same if he has his head down a rabbit hole. Once focused everything is shut out apart from what he is doing.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dominance issues  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down