Staffy pup bed suggestions..

3 posters

Go down

Staffy pup bed suggestions.. Empty Staffy pup bed suggestions..

Post by smasha Sat Sep 01 2012, 23:55

Ok, so it didn't take our 9wk old staffy long to chew through his hand-me-down bed. For his crate, he just uses a light blanket that is usually kicked to the side while he sleeps. While he's out of the crate, he loves his comfy dog bed! Unfortunately, he's chewed through it in less than two weeks.
Now, I know there's no such thing as 'puppy-proof' dog beds, but does anyone have any suggestions for beds that'll (hopefully) last longer than a couple weeks.. months even? I've looked up random ones that CLAIM they're chew-resistant and all that, and of course, they're ridiculously over-priced. I'd much rather hear your opinions instead of falling for silly marketing tactics!
Much appreciated:)

smasha
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Syrous
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy pup bed suggestions.. Empty Re: Staffy pup bed suggestions..

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:03

No sugestions, I'm afraid. Dempsey is a power chewer & has destroyed every type of bedding I've given him. He just has his crate (that's his den/bed/comfort zone), and I put two large ex-army (german - they're cheaper & a bit thicker than the british ones!) folded in the bottom of the crate & on top of a large square of Vetbed fleece. He's chewed one or two holes in the blankets, but generally speaking they're lasting well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:09

No suggestions. Until Loki grows out of chewing, or at least cuts it down a bit, I'm afraid he'll have to tough it out on some stuff I have lying around. I did buy him a bed, but he thought we'd just left him a giant gift in his cage for him to chew, so...no. Currently we use a big padded thing. I don't even know what it is; a blanket, a giant coat. I don't even know, but it's lasting. I suggest you just use cheap stuff for the time being. Cheap but comfy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by smasha Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:11

That's probably the best (cheapest, too!) thing to do. Maybe I'll check out some thrift stores and see what they offer there Wink
Thanks!

smasha

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Syrous
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:12

We use old blankets as well and a hard plastic bed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Sun Sep 02 2012, 10:02

Ralph chewed everything I put in his crate, but I got this from PAH and it's been in there 6 weeks now and is still in one piece!

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/durable-dog-mat-by-ruff-and-tuff-37274

Cut the label off as Ralph was trying to chew it, and once he makes a little hole that's it!

Only thing is the cover doesn't come off for washing, so I just scrub it with washing powder and water with a nail brush ever now and again and it comes off fine.
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 10:10

s said above whilst a pup keep it cheap, we had a big cushion for Tilly as an alternative and cut that in half for Tommy 2 crates ( 1 up 1 down) and he has been fine with them but if he killed them they weren't so big a loss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:10

All mine are on vetbed, plus i use an old double quilt thats been cut into 4 with the cut edges stitched.
They did once have a large bean bag, which Leyla loved but Mayja killed ... it looked like it had been snowing in the dining room that morning i discovered it had died, and the culprit pooped white polystyrene specked poo for a few days after wards Laughing
So while your little ones in the chewing stage i would not recommend you get them a comfy bean bag Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by proud papacass Mon Sep 03 2012, 17:20

I'll second Jellytots post. The Pets at Home Ruff and Tuff range is brilliant. we got the slightly larger version and Buster has slept so well since getting it. That's in addition to throwing it, chewing it, dragging it and attempting to dig it up! Really good quality and hard as nails.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/durable-dog-mat-by-ruff-and-tuff-37274

Really warm too x
proud papacass
proud papacass
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster (aka Piglet)
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks DOB 04.07.12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03 2012, 17:25

Denise wrote:All mine are on vetbed, plus i use an old double quilt thats been cut into 4 with the cut edges stitched.

Yes, I use a vetbed inside Dempsey's crate, but I have a couple of folded ex-army blankets on top. He's chewd it a bit, but hasn't destroyed it yet! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down