+2
janey
chelseaj
6 posters

Go down

PUPPY GROWLING Empty PUPPY GROWLING

Post by chelseaj Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:35

Hello everyone,
I have an 10 week old pup, she is gorgeous, toilet training is going well. Shes a bit nippy and chews but thats to be expected but im more concerned why she has recently starting growling , sometimes when we pick her up other times if we say no to her nipping us or our clothes. It may sound dramatic but i hope this doesnt mean she is going to be an aggressive dog. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved ! she has had her first injection 5 days ago and has been wormed Smile

chelseaj
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : chelsea
Dog(s) Ages : 10 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

PUPPY GROWLING Empty Re: PUPPY GROWLING

Post by janey Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:41

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, it certainly won't be aggression, don't fear there,she could just be uncomfortable, maybe call the vets and ask Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:41

Hi and welcome firstly there is NO worries of that a puppy of 10wks has no natural aggression in it at all, staffords are known for being very verbal dogs and pups find their voices and make all sorts of noises, you should hear the growls they make when with their litter brothers and sisters, pups can growl when being handled as they are protesting about being picked up but you should get her use too being handled just do it gradually, as long as she isn,t yelping or showing discomfort which if she is take her too the vets for a check up if not,just relax and enjoy your new addition x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30 2012, 23:56

In my experience, the growling at a puppy that age is down to frustration or simple playfulness. When I say frustration I, of course, don't mean aggression, just the puppy being moody and letting you know she doesn't agree with you. Loki will growl or bark when I tell him no when he's in a playful mood, and he'll also sometimes cry, because it's his way of saying, "Come on, play with me, I'm bored!"

So don't worry Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 00:02

As stated no worries about the growling. It's important to handle all parts of her when she is a pup so it won't be an issue when she is older.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 07:05

Again as above it is not aggression we have an 18 week old male and he often growls when picked up or when told off and it is just communication, he is picked up all the time and we just tell him off for the growling like we would a kid for being grumpy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Aug 31 2012, 09:12

Caley was the same she would growl when we tried to pick her up but we would just say to her "who do you think your growling at" in a low tone and she would then flip on her back and go silly...she hardly growls at us now only her toys lol Big Grin .
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
PUPPY GROWLING Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Fri Aug 31 2012, 16:27

Growling is communication along with body language, your pup growls when you pick him up which says to me that he doesn't like being picked up, dogs have to learn to be picked up, to them it is scary to suddenly be up in the air.

Dogs don't speak English so don't understand what No means, in many cases it can sound like a bark to a dog, if I say no to my Staffy he will bark back as me rolling on the floor .

Puppies like babies like to feel things with their mouths, how often do we have to race to our baby to get something before they put it in their mouths. Laughing I have been bitten quite a few times by a baby wanting to know what my finger tasted like. Dogs also like to put things in their mouths, usually our skin or clothes. I used to have a dog that when someone came into my house he would gently get hold of their hand and lead them into the living room.

When is your pup nipping? Once you have worked out when he nips you can then work out how to stop him.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
PUPPY GROWLING Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 18:21

I agree with all of the above!

A pup growls to communicate. As long as the lips aren't drawn back with teeth showing (highly unlikely in a pup) I wouldn't worry. After a while your pup will want to be picked up - trouble is, by that time he'll be too big! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 19:08

Caryll wrote:I agree with all of the above!

A pup growls to communicate. As long as the lips aren't drawn back with teeth showing (highly unlikely in a pup) I wouldn't worry. After a while your pup will want to be picked up - trouble is, by that time he'll be too big! Big Grin

Me too!

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sat Sep 01 2012, 14:22

mine does this too and it seems to be more so when having her mad half hour, nipping everything that gets in her way and running round the house like a lunatic, when she gets like this we put her in her crate as we have 2 small children and she hurts. Dont think its aggression at all, just playfulness and wanting to get her own way but she still has time out. She's in there now actually.

She's 12 weeks on sunday. Good luck with yours

jules xx
julespercules
julespercules
PUPPY GROWLING Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female