Picky Pooch?

3 posters

Go down

Picky Pooch? Empty Picky Pooch?

Post by Tylersmamma Tue Aug 28 2012, 23:58

Tyler seems to be very picky with his food!

Turns his nose up at dry food on its own! I have to mix it with something, usually gravy!
Hes not very keen on veg either, which I find a bit weird lol, but obviously its just not to his taste. He just seems to be very hit and miss when it comes to his food. I have tried different brands of food thinking it could be that, but as I say, he seems very picky.
I gave him Pasta mixed with pilchards,which he wolfed down. I was reading it was good for the skin etc, so Ive made that a once a fortnight kinda thing.
I do know he gets hungry, because he kinda hangs around us at meal times, ears up and watching us like a hawk lol. But just doesn't wanna eat his own food. As I say, Hes only been with us about three weeks now, and its all trial and error at the moment, but any advice would be appreciated Smile

Tylersmamma
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Picky Pooch? Empty Re: Picky Pooch?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 00:02

put it down for 10 mins , then pick it up , put it back an hour later. Keep lt like this and he will soon learn. Don't give him anything else , a healthy dog will not starve itself Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylersmamma Wed Aug 29 2012, 00:12

Dave

Funny, because when we came in from a walk the other day, I kept kinda coaxing him toward the bowl and since he follows me everywhere, he obviously came toward the bowl.
After a few sniffs, he finally gave in and ate!

I'll have a crack at your suggestion Smile Thanks

Tylersmamma

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 00:54

Dave wrote:put it down for 10 mins , then pick it up , put it back an hour later. Keep lt like this and he will soon learn. Don't give him anything else , a healthy dog will not starve itself Smile

Agree with Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 07:54

Well in 3 weeks mister Tyler sure knows how to work you whistling
Clever bugger knows if he dont eat he'll get something tasty added, so his hanging out each meal time till you deliver the goods Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kandn Wed Aug 29 2012, 08:30

Agree with Dave too. If he doesn't learn the drill in a couple of days it will require more investigation, but I doubt he will starve himself. Avoid any treats, table scraps etc. Like a fussy child. I don't give them my table scraps either Wink you know what I mean! A good quality, healthy dry food should be enough to temp him. Just check out his teeth and gums to make sure that's not an issue Smile
Let us know how you go Smile

Kandn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nike
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 29 2012, 20:11

I have recently changed Rockys food to Barking Heads from JWB. All I do is cooked of some chicken and add a little, once cooled, to his kibble. I also put some water in the tray when cooking the chicken to make a little stock for him too. Once this has been the refridgerator a while it will set and seperate. I then just take the fat of the jelly and add a little of the jelly to his dinner too. Rocky loves it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down