Introducing a second dog into the home..

2 posters

Go down

Introducing a second dog into the home.. Empty Introducing a second dog into the home..

Post by Rachel33 Thu Aug 16 2012, 13:47

Hey guys! I was wondering if I could get some of your views on this topic as it's something i'm completely new to..

As some of you may know, Biscuit hasn't been well for a little while and before I make any decisions i'm going to wait and see if this third tumor comes back as being cancerous (the first was a melanoma, the second 6 months later was benign..) But if she's in the clear, I was thinking of introducing a little friend.

I work at a rescue centre and had a little male staffy come into my care about 6 weeks ago, he's coping pretty badly with kennels and is a bit of a mess. He's extremely quiet and doesn't give much away but is very affectionate when he knows you and loves other dogs but is very submissive with them on first meetings and just lies on his back until he knows they're safe. Biscuit's got some fear aggression (with people and dogs, had a very undersireable start to life..) and will either submit fully or try to mount other dogs (!!) but loves other dogs when she's comfortable with them and will play beautifully with another quiet dog. She's a bossy little madam and can be quite pushy initially, but is such a beautiful, gentle little soul after that initial boisterous behaviour, seems to be a bit of a defense mechanism.

Do you think this sounds like a good match up? And how would you go about introducing them into the home? Biscuit's my first dog so i've never had to do this before! Thanks Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Introducing a second dog into the home.. Empty Re: Introducing a second dog into the home..

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 14:21

I think with work it could definitely work Smile

I'd take biscuit to the centre for a meeting with the male and see how they go, if you decided you want him introduce them somewhere neutral near your house, and go for a walk before going home

Back to top Go down

Introducing a second dog into the home.. Empty Re: Introducing a second dog into the home..

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 16 2012, 14:38

Completely agree with Ella, take her along to the centre, as I'm sure you would advise this to any owner anyway Wink

There's only one way to find out for sure, let them have a meet up and see how things go. This is best done within a controlled environment, which you have at the centre. Then if things don't go as planned there's no harm done.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Aug 16 2012, 14:42

Thanks for the advice guys! Big Grin I was thinking of letting them meet out on a walk initially, just because Biscuit was at the centre for a long time before I adopted her and she gets into a state of panic even walking past the doors! Was hoping to get some advice on introducing them within the home, anything to look out for? Should I separate them while i'm out for the first few weeks? etc
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 21:32

A walk together would be good. Also bring something home with the scent of the new dog on it so Biscuit is used to the smell in the house. Walk them together before taking them home and don't pay more attention to the new dog. I would definately keep them seperate if you aren't there to supervise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down