Introducing a pup into my home

Go down

Lightning Introducing a pup into my home

Post by thehvacdude Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:54

Ok so i'm hoping the people who frequent this lovely forum can help guide me into bliss LOL Smile

I previously had 2 dogs, a male & a female both desexed whom grew up with each other from pups also i must mention they were not related at all. So after about 3 peaceful years of my dogs getting along one day things changed & violent fights would break out daily & after seeking advice + training from numerous trainers we made the decision to part with the female (who was an American Staffy).

Since just having the one male english stafford things have been a bit rough, first there was the separation anxiety for the other dog, then separation anxiety from us when we were working & lastly the panic attacks when we have storm & we are not home. The separation anxiety was easily overcome by sending the male off to a kennel for a fortnight this cured him 100% but the storm panic attacks are a little more difficult to manage & i don't want to drug the dog up with ACP whenever there is a storm. Currently we have a run which we put him in when there is the possibility of a storm which doesn't calm him down but at least he cannot escape or harm himself. I must mention when we had the 2 dogs the storm freak outs were non existent as the 2 dogs would cuddle together in the kennel & provide comfort for each other.

So now 1 year after getting rid of the American female we have decided to introduce a new female into the home but this time she is a pure bred english stafford who's siblings have no history of freaking out when there is a storm & a very placid dogs by nature, i'm pretty confident this will assist with the storm freak outs our male is currently having but i'm concerned about ending up back at square 1, that is with 2 dogs that fight.

I would like to ask for your help & ideas about how i should go about introducing the new dog into the home (she is due to arrive in 4 weeks). At this stage we are planning on sending the male away to a kennel for 2 weeks prior to the introduction of the new dog so as that the both come into the home together. Can anyone suggest anything i should do to minimize the chance of aggression or jealousy?

Should i feed them together or seperate?
Should i feed them 1 in the house & one out?
Should they have 2 kennels or 1?
Should i play fetch with them at the same time or seperate
Which dog do i feed first?
How do we avoid jealousy? im sure my partner will smother the puppy with a little too much love LOL

Any feedback, guidlines, advice, help etc would be very much appreciated Smile

For your troubles in assisting me here is a pic i snapped of the new puppy!!!

Introducing a pup into my home 43112410

thehvacdude
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Punkin
Dog(s) Ages : Maxwell
Dog Gender(s) : 8 Months & 3 Years
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Lightning Re: Introducing a pup into my home

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 07:27

Hi & Introducing a pup into my home Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Introducing a pup into my home Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 07:31

If it's possible the dogs should be introduced before bringing the new pup home to see how they get along. It also helps if you can get something with the new dogs scent to bring home so your current dog can get used to it ahead of time. If not I would say not to fuss over the new pup too much because it could create jealousy. It's best to have two of everything. Soem people think the older dog should eat first but I don't see the harm of doing it simultaneosly. It's also a good idea to keep them seperate if you are going to leave them alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 10:21

well i did write a whole long message on what i did but skye decided to stand on my keypad and rub it all out lmao. doh .. so il bullet point now ha!.

*Try introducing outside of your home so that your current dog doesn't have familiarity i.e his house and smells to protect .. if you cant then possibly introduce in the garden.

*I removed all toys at first to watch body language of both dogs while been introduced, after they got used to each other a little i added toys for them and watched there body language again while playing with them both (remember some pups wont play straight away as there surroundings are unfamiliar)

*I feed them both separate skye in her crate and vinnie in the same room but not in a crate as he dont have one .. This stops the older dog stealing food or the pup stealing food which can lead to jelousy and protective behaviour of food etc.

*As said above its best to have two of everything, HOWEVER this dont mean the pup will not prefer to have the older dogs things, pups will be pups lol.

*When ever your dog leaves the room and leaves you with the pup or your pup leaves the room and leaves you with your dog .. DONT make extra fuss of the dog or pup because then the other one will think oh well when they arent in the room i get more fuss! and then you will get jelousy.
I always do one walk with my guys alone so they have alone time and another together.

Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by thehvacdude Sat Mar 03 2012, 22:51

staffy-lover89 wrote:well i did write a whole long message on what i did but skye decided to stand on my keypad and rub it all out lmao. doh .. so il bullet point now ha!.

*Try introducing outside of your home so that your current dog doesn't have familiarity i.e his house and smells to protect .. if you cant then possibly introduce in the garden.

*I removed all toys at first to watch body language of both dogs while been introduced, after they got used to each other a little i added toys for them and watched there body language again while playing with them both (remember some pups wont play straight away as there surroundings are unfamiliar)

*I feed them both separate skye in her crate and vinnie in the same room but not in a crate as he dont have one .. This stops the older dog stealing food or the pup stealing food which can lead to jelousy and protective behaviour of food etc.

*As said above its best to have two of everything, HOWEVER this dont mean the pup will not prefer to have the older dogs things, pups will be pups lol.

*When ever your dog leaves the room and leaves you with the pup or your pup leaves the room and leaves you with your dog .. DONT make extra fuss of the dog or pup because then the other one will think oh well when they arent in the room i get more fuss! and then you will get jelousy.
I always do one walk with my guys alone so they have alone time and another together.

Good luck Smile

Ok thanks for taking the time to respond, so i guess feeding them separate is the go Smile

thehvacdude

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by thehvacdude Sat Mar 03 2012, 22:53

jstaff wrote:If it's possible the dogs should be introduced before bringing the new pup home to see how they get along. It also helps if you can get something with the new dogs scent to bring home so your current dog can get used to it ahead of time. If not I would say not to fuss over the new pup too much because it could create jealousy. It's best to have two of everything. Soem people think the older dog should eat first but I don't see the harm of doing it simultaneosly. It's also a good idea to keep them seperate if you are going to leave them alone.

We have introduced the dogs already at the breeders house & in fact we are going back for a 2nd play date today, great idea about bringing a scent home i think i'll take an old shirt as a scent rag.

thehvacdude

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content