Clicker training ??

4 posters

Go down

Clicker training ?? Empty Clicker training ??

Post by Double_G Mon Jan 10 2011, 19:57

I watched a video on you tube of a man who had trained his 4month old staff by clicker training and it must of worked as the pup would sit,lay down and fetch on command,i was just wondering if any one could explain how it works and if any one uses this training method ?
Double_G
Double_G
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dave
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Clicker training ?? Empty Re: Clicker training ??

Post by janey Mon Jan 10 2011, 20:18

Not something I have ever done, although have seen it in action and seems great. Someone here can help Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 20:19

I haven't used it, though I've heard that when it works it works well. Not every dog takes to it, but it's worth a go.

There are members here who have used it & swear by it, I'm sure one of them will come on in a minute & give advice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:07

Hi there,
I can say 100% that clicker training, if done correctly is wonderful.
I am training my new puppy with the clicker....
I have taught her in 2 weeks to sit.... high 5, drop and roll over....

As soon as she sees the clicker she sits and puts her paw up.. it is very cute..
I will take a video of it today and up load for you..

You have to be spot on when you click.... that is the key.. and at the start always have some liver treats ( puppy ones i would suggest)
if you say "SIT".. as soon as the dogs butt hits the floor.. click and reward..

Keep on doing the same thing over and over.. I think i did "sit" about 30 tmes so that she got the idea that if i do as i am asked i hear that "click: and i get a treat..

If she is already sitting start there and then work on other tricks.,

at the moment I am using it to train her to use the grass, not the deck as the toilet.... so far 3 poos in the yard ")
she hears the click as soon as she is finished her poo... then comes running and sits for her treat...

once she loves the sound on the click I wont have to always use the treats Smile
give it a go...... it really is a fast learning system for animals.. as you mark the behaviour as soon as it happens Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:08

Try reading a book called "When Pigs Fly". It's a great read about clicker training 'difficult' dogs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:28

One thing I was always told with clicker training was to start with just click the clicker and give a treat, don't do any commands, so the dog learns that a click means treat.

Clicker training does work, I gave up after forgetting the clicker when we were out, and then loosing the clicker....
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:31

Cornish-Muscle wrote:One thing I was always told with clicker training was to start with just click the clicker and give a treat, don't do any commands, so the dog learns that a click means treat.

Clicker training does work, I gave up after forgetting the clicker when we were out, and then loosing the clicker....
Agree's but is the dog already knows a basic commmand like "SIT" then the will catch on quicker.

My kids are still asleep , 8.30am... they will wake about 9.30-10am.. ( yes they sleep 13hours) and i will get the eldest to video what i have done in 2 weeks with Holly x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:35

Mel Skora wrote:
Cornish-Muscle wrote:One thing I was always told with clicker training was to start with just click the clicker and give a treat, don't do any commands, so the dog learns that a click means treat.

Agree's but is the dog already knows a basic commmand like "SIT" then the will catch on quicker.

My kids are still asleep , 8.30am... they will wake about 9.30-10am.. ( yes they sleep 13hours) and i will get the eldest to video what i have done in 2 weeks with Holly x

Oh of course, when I started Molly knew nothing, so I thought the click - treat route would work best. But in the end, just treats and a quick fuss worked for us two lol.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:43

I choose to use the clicker becuase my kids are to slow in rewarding her when she does the right thing.. so if they click... and then treat they get it right.. within the 2 seconds needed x
I am always there to watch when they "train" her... I do the most and all the new things..
they just have a go at the tricks she already knows... it is cute to watch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:46

Aye, I can fully understand that.
I'm the only one that really does any training in the house, no one else seems to bother. Which just makes my life 10 times harder.
I training her every day, and if the OH is in the room, I'll force him to do things as well Tongues

9 times outta 10 when we're out and he's trying to get her to do something (Usually trying to get her to drop a toy) he'll be telling her "leave it" I walk over, gently take her collar, take the toy and say "Drop" and she lets it go. I walk off smug as anything Tongues
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:49

PMSL.... at least he could try and get the same commands as you...

Holly is the same... my OH asks her to sit camly at the door.... and she looks at him... MY 4 YO come over and yells "sit".. bang the dog sits and waits for Calahni to go thru the door first... it is rather cute lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:52

lol
I've noticed with Molly I need a stern "sit" and a pointed finger now.
There's some things that my OH can do better than me, getting her to heel is one of them, his deep voice seems to help with that.

Ya know, it's wonderful that your kids are getting involved, really breaking down the bad image staffies have there!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:54

I think they are doing a fab job with her... yesterday my eldest put her on the lead and just did change of direction with her for some time.. in the end she was putty in her hands.
She is a great pup and we are trying our hardest not to stuff that up
They take her to preschool on thursday nights and the vet works with them and her for an hour.. it is very cute

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:54

Y'gotta love the kids!

I'm the only one who trains the dog in this house! My other half yells "Dempsey, stop it" over & over & good old Dempsey just carries on. I walk in and say " Dempsey, no!" or "Dempsey sit" and he does it! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 10 2011, 21:57

That's exactly what my OH half does, I think a lot of men are like that though lol. I've noticed Molly responds to some things with my calmer voice though, like getting off the bed, yet somethings, like heel she responds better to a deeper voice.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10 2011, 23:25

just posted a quick vid on Holly's progress with the clicker
not the best but gives an idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 13 2011, 16:24

Oh my other half is the opposite. Dogs love him, they're drawn to him and as much as my girls listen to me and do as they are told he doesn't even have to tell them. He just looks at them and they know what he means, don't think I've ever even heard him get annoyed with any of them (a mean feat!).
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down