what to feed my 4 month old staffie?

3 posters

Go down

Smile what to feed my 4 month old staffie?

Post by chris_trigga Tue Aug 07 2012, 09:32

hi staffie lovers,

would someone be nice enough to write me a diet for my dog trigga for monday to sunday to feed my 4 month staffie and also the amount ? (RAW MEET DIET)

SmileSmileSmile or should i just stick to dry food for now ?
chris_trigga
chris_trigga
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : trigga
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: what to feed my 4 month old staffie?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 09:35

Here is a list of recommended dry foods. Just follow the feeding guidelines on the package and go by the way the dog looks from there.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Can't be of help with raw but someone with experience will be along shortly

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_trigga Tue Aug 07 2012, 09:36

thanks jstaff Smile
chris_trigga
chris_trigga

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Aug 07 2012, 09:50

Our Moderator Ella feeds her two boys raw, i think you may find the thread below helpful. Please have a read through, just bear in mind these two are older than 4 months:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19197-what-s-in-the-bowl-today-graphic-photos-raw?highlight=bowl

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_trigga Tue Aug 07 2012, 10:46

thanks kathy
chris_trigga
chris_trigga

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 11:14

Here are a couple of sites you might want to have a look through...

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php
http://www.freewebs.com/krisannriorawfeeding/ (GSDs, but some interesting points raised)

The raw food diet (whichever one you follow) is a bit complicated to start with if all you've been feeding before is dry/wet commercial. BUT. As you go on, it becomes much easier & the results can be quite spectacular.

Eg....At the moment I'm following the progress of a GSD bitch (on another site) that developed EPI (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency ) and was in a terrible state. All food went straight through her & she lost half her body weight in about a month, despite being on medication. In desperation the owner asked the GSD forum for advice & she was told to try raw feeding. That was about 4 or 5 months ago - the bitch is now back to her ideal weight, full of energy & is not receiving any medication.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Tue Aug 07 2012, 12:07

I feed mine Raw. The first thing I would do is sort out a decent raw supplier unless you have no problem with paying a bit more from the supermarkets. Imo though it still works out cheaper in the long run either way.

When I started Saf on raw, at first I gave her chicken thighs, chicken chunks, minced beef and a bit of offal (liver). In the beginning she wasn't sure about chewing the bones but after a couple of days she got the hang of it. I also did a cold turkey switch.

Her diet today is varied she has beef chunks, lamb, pork, rabbit, minced meats, chicken for the base of her meals. Her meaty bone meals are chicken quarters, legs, thighs, lamb necks, chicken necks and wings, ribs.

I used to give her a tiny bit of offal everyday but now I'm giving her it 2x a week. If I'm giving her minced meats, I'll add a bit of tripe just because she likes it. And I give her whole raw eggs 2-3x a week. She only likes the yolk and the shell tho.

Example food menu for Saffy: A good day

Breakfast: x2 -3 chicken thighs (depending on size)
Lunch: 1/2 pound minced meat (beef, lamb, rabbit) and a little bit of tripe
Dinner: 1/4 pound beef or lamb chunks with chopped liver or kidneys.

Or: when she's not hungry
Breakfast:
Lunch: A rabbit leg
Dinner: meat chunks (beef or pork)

She seems to balance it out for herself over the course of the week(s). Some days she will eat, what I think is very little. Others she will eat more. But over time she gets everything she needs.

I usually just get things when it's on offer as well. I try not to give her too much mince either as it's not good for their teeth, maybe 3 meals a week. Rabbit is her favourite but she's only allowed it 3x a week now. She won't eat fish, so I supplement her meat chunks with a small amount of fish oil.

Oh and if she's having a fussy day, I'll give her her meat meals as training treats! So she has to work for it! Works a treat! Lol

That's it really! I don't really think about it too much now! I just give her what I can get tbh.

Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_trigga Tue Aug 07 2012, 13:41

Rachb26 wrote:I feed mine Raw. The first thing I would do is sort out a decent raw supplier unless you have no problem with paying a bit more from the supermarkets. Imo though it still works out cheaper in the long run either way.

When I started Saf on raw, at first I gave her chicken thighs, chicken chunks, minced beef and a bit of offal (liver). In the beginning she wasn't sure about chewing the bones but after a couple of days she got the hang of it. I also did a cold turkey switch.

Her diet today is varied she has beef chunks, lamb, pork, rabbit, minced meats, chicken for the base of her meals. Her meaty bone meals are chicken quarters, legs, thighs, lamb necks, chicken necks and wings, ribs.

I used to give her a tiny bit of offal everyday but now I'm giving her it 2x a week. If I'm giving her minced meats, I'll add a bit of tripe just because she likes it. And I give her whole raw eggs 2-3x a week. She only likes the yolk and the shell tho.

Example food menu for Saffy: A good day

Breakfast: x2 -3 chicken thighs (depending on size)
Lunch: 1/2 pound minced meat (beef, lamb, rabbit) and a little bit of tripe
Dinner: 1/4 pound beef or lamb chunks with chopped liver or kidneys.

Or: when she's not hungry
Breakfast:
Lunch: A rabbit leg
Dinner: meat chunks (beef or pork)

She seems to balance it out for herself over the course of the week(s). Some days she will eat, what I think is very little. Others she will eat more. But over time she gets everything she needs.

I usually just get things when it's on offer as well. I try not to give her too much mince either as it's not good for their teeth, maybe 3 meals a week. Rabbit is her favourite but she's only allowed it 3x a week now. She won't eat fish, so I supplement her meat chunks with a small amount of fish oil.

Oh and if she's having a fussy day, I'll give her her meat meals as training treats! So she has to work for it! Works a treat! Lol

That's it really! I don't really think about it too much now! I just give her what I can get tbh.

A big thank you Caryll & Rachb26 appreciate your time and help Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

chris_trigga
chris_trigga

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_trigga Tue Aug 07 2012, 13:41

Caryll wrote:Here are a couple of sites you might want to have a look through...

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php
http://www.freewebs.com/krisannriorawfeeding/ (GSDs, but some interesting points raised)

The raw food diet (whichever one you follow) is a bit complicated to start with if all you've been feeding before is dry/wet commercial. BUT. As you go on, it becomes much easier & the results can be quite spectacular.

Eg....At the moment I'm following the progress of a GSD bitch (on another site) that developed EPI (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency ) and was in a terrible state. All food went straight through her & she lost half her body weight in about a month, despite being on medication. In desperation the owner asked the GSD forum for advice & she was told to try raw feeding. That was about 4 or 5 months ago - the bitch is now back to her ideal weight, full of energy & is not receiving any medication.

A big thank you Caryll & Rachb26 appreciate your time and help Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
chris_trigga
chris_trigga

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down