raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times?

Go down

raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times? Empty raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times?

Post by ardvark Wed Jun 01 2011, 18:35

I've taken the plunge earlier than planned to go raw as our processed food ran out and I don't see why my parents can't feed raw seperately and cleanly away from their 2 dogs to Milo when he says there in 3 weeks whilst we are on holiday....also hope they see how good and easy it is too Wink Laughing

Milo's been on 3 meals a day since we got him aged 4 months, he's now almost 6 months so I've given Milo 2 wings for lunch OMG how quick did he munch them lol!! He's got beef mince for tea, I was going to give him 150g in a mo. unsure about how much is right, just playing things by ear now! Does it sound enough?

He has a good hour walk a day sometimes 3 hours out and about but that's not proper walking just tagging along with our 3 small kids playing in the woods and walking at a snails pace Rolling Eyes .....lots of miandering and stopping for tree climbing lol!!

I would like to go to 2 feeds per day in the next few weeks to fit in with my mum and dad's dogs but unsure of quantities!!! any advice/info. welcome x
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times? Empty Re: raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 08:56

Caryll will be along soon, she is the expert, but they say to feed them 2-3% of the adult weight, so if you think he might weigh 20kg when he gets older then you feed them around 400 - 600g a day.
this can be adjusted, just see if the dog is putting on or losing weight and up or down the quantities

Back to top Go down

raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times? Empty Re: raw diet - how much do you feed your 6 month old pup and times?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 13:12

I don't see a problem with 2 meals a day at 6 months.

As to amounts, I've never bothered with weights - I go by the 'look' of the dog. If they're gaining weight at that age & growing well without looking podgy, then the amount is right, if they lose weight & start to get too much covering, then adjust the food accordingly.

Don't forget that dogs need slightly less raw than they do commercial food, so don't overdo it. Your dog may seem a little hungry still after his food for a week or so because his stomach wil have to adjust to the different type/amount of food, but don't be tempted to overfeed - it's easily done.

By the time he stays at your mum's you should have a good idea of what amounts suit him best.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Jun 02 2011, 22:31

Hi Caryll, tbh I am worried I'm not giving him enough. Is 2 chicken wings and 150g of beef mince really enough just now?! I'm thinking not but???
I've not had him weighed for about 3/4 weeks now so don't have adefinitive weight to go on. I mean he seems settled enough in himself and as energetic as ever but it's only been 2 days lol!! HELP lol!!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 22:40

If you're not sure, then increase the amount you give him - either the meaty bones or the mince.

If it's too much, you'll notice quite quickly because digs 'use' the raw food much quicker than the commercial food & it'll show on his ribs very quickly, probably as little as a week or so. Better to be safe than sorry at that age. I'd much rather see a slightly chubby pup than a skinny one!

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Jun 02 2011, 22:44

Ahhhhh thanks feel happier I'm not going to be starving the poor little fella now as he'll be getting extra tommorrow lol phew! >Big Grin<
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 22:48

I've never been obsessive about weighing food, and always gone by the 'look' of the dog. After all, a dog's appearance reflects what the owner wants to see - some like a staff to be 'ripped' with the ribs (but not the backbone) showing clearly. Some prefer to be able to feel, but not see the ribs.

It's a personal thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Jun 02 2011, 23:07

Hi, I know what you mean and appreciate as I get used to raw like any feeding in general really pets, kids, husband (!) etc it'll be a doddle and won't weigh an ounce but didn't want to deprive him of what he needed from the start only to discover in a weeks time I have a skinny pup! Thanks for all your help, I know I've been kind of obsessive over this but wanted to it all right from the start!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 23:11

Better to be a bit obsessive & get it right, than not bother at all and get it totally wrong! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down