Tail Chasing and injury

4 posters

Go down

Tail Chasing and injury Empty Tail Chasing and injury

Post by dollaqie Wed Aug 01 2012, 06:39

Hi guys, I have a 5 month old bull terrier male. He started chasing his tail and cannot stop. He is injuring himself and it was suggested that the tail be amputated. Is there anyone with the same problems and how do you handle it? I need help, urgently!!!

dollaqie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Filla
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tail Chasing and injury Empty Re: Tail Chasing and injury

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:16

Hi & Tail Chasing and injury Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Tail Chasing and injury Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:17

I haven't had that problem before. Have you tried either correcting him when he does it or distract him with a toy when he tries it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:18

Hi welcome to the forum.
I seen you posted this twice so I deleted the other one, just in case you were wondering were it had gone.

What normally starts the behaviour?
What sort of exercise does your dog get daily?

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:20

It seems to start when he sees me making ready to go to work, or if he cannot see me, not much exercise really

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:27

Honestly at 5 months old i would never even DREAM of amputating. This is a behavioural problem and 99% of behavioural problems can be sorted with training and exercise. How much is he getting? Is he crated a lot? When he is doing this what state is he in, calm or excited?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:28

Sounds like it's probally a lack of exercise compouned by seperation aniexty. At 5 months he should be getting a minimum of two walks per day of 25 minutes each which will increase by 5 minutes for every month of age until he is walking at least 45 minutes at a time.

The lack of exercise could be increasing the nervous energy from seperation aniexty and causing him to chase his tail. I would try to take him for a good walk before he has to be left alone and see if that helps the situation.

Back to top Go down

dollaqie wrote:It seems to start when he sees me making ready to go to work, or if he cannot see me, not much exercise really

Why? Do you not have the time or what?

A dog needs at LEAST 30min walk 2 or 3 times a day, esp when they are younger.

Last edited by Hayley on Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:29; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

It will be a form of separation anxiety. You will do something which will trigger his mind into knowing that you are going out for a length of time.

The best advice I can give you which will change his behaviour the most in the shortest time would be to get up an hour earlier and take your dog out on a good long walk before you go to work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:30

Missed he was only 5 months old. Not opened my eyes fully yet Laughing

Great advice from jstaff thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:46

I dont think that amputation is a solution. You do need to excercise your dog with energy draining activities on a daily basis. It is optimal to have at least 3 periods of a minimum of 45 minutes each. Walking is a good excercise for both of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:52

I leave home at 05:30 in the morning for work and cannot take him for a walk that time, is there any other form of activity that I can practice in the morning before work. In the afternoon I get home at 14:00 and will then take him for a long walk

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:02

Unfortunately not. Anything else will just get him excited and worked up, which will make matters worse. Where is he during the day is he in a crate or has free run of the house? 30mins is all it would take in the morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:04

He stays outside in the garden. Walking in the morning is not possible, I stay in JHB South Africa and if it was summer that would be a different story but it is still picth dark 05:00 in morning and not safe at all.

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:19

Do you have a friend or neighbor that could take him out for you. If not you could look into a dog walker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:22

Dog walker might be an idea. Im afraid the only way to sort this out is more exercise. Several walks a day are much better than one large walk.

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:42

It might sound that I do not want to take him for a walk in the morning, but here we do not have dog walkers and neighbours not interested in each other.

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 12:49

Harv used to chase his tail all the time as a pup but never injured it, he grew out of it very quickly though

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Aug 01 2012, 14:15

Bull terriers are susceptible to OCD behaviours particularly tail chasing. Caryll knows a lot about this I expect she will be along soon. For now take a look at these articles.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/ocd.htm
http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/canine-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-treat-it-968477.html

I wouldn't recommend amputation, its not curing the problem just removing the result and the cause will still be there. He may just start doing something else obsessivley as sounds like it is linked to seperation anxiety as others have said.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 14:28

dollaqie wrote:It might sound that I do not want to take him for a walk in the morning, but here we do not have dog walkers and neighbours not interested in each other.

I dont know where in JHB you are but I also live here and dog walkers are ten apenny. Take a look on your local Spar notice board. If walking in the morning is impossible try leaving him with activities that will engage his mind. For example a cong stuffed with treats. You can also cut holes in a 2ltre plastic drink bottle and put his breakfast in it. he could spend a few hours trying to get the food out. A car or motor cycle tyre is also a source of amusement.

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Thu Aug 02 2012, 05:13

ella wrote:Harv used to chase his tail all the time as a pup but never injured it, he grew out of it very quickly though

Hi Ella, when did he stop chasing his tail on what age?

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:17

A dog will use his tail in many ways. One will be to read another dogs body language and if the tail is not there signals can be missread and messages get confused. This can then cause problems with aggresion because the wrong signal has been given/received.

Another use of the dog tail is balance for when he is running and control.

Rocky has a kink in his tail but we would not consider having it removed unless it was casuing him pain.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:30

dollaqie, i don't mean to presume anything but i know Ella and i know that she exercises her dogs a lot. I don't believe you can just "wait this out"

Back to top Go down

Post by dollaqie Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:34

Hayley, I am not waiting this out, we did go for a walk yesterday afternoon, as this was the first time ever for him to walk on a leach it did not went that well and he was very anxcious after we came home and started to chase his tail even more. We will go again this afternoon and I take all the advice everybody has given here and tried to practice it towards him.

dollaqie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:49

Well just a lot more work and training. At 5 months a lot of dogs walk on a lead, your's just needs to catch up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 13:05

dollaqie wrote:Hayley, I am not waiting this out, we did go for a walk yesterday afternoon, as this was the first time ever for him to walk on a leach it did not went that well and he was very anxcious after we came home and started to chase his tail even more. We will go again this afternoon and I take all the advice everybody has given here and tried to practice it towards him.

Please persevere with the walking. It will take time and a lot of patience on your part but it will be well worth the effort as you will reap the rewards of a happy dog. You also need to be calm when working with him as your energy may increase his anxiousness. When he chased his tail when you got home, did you try and distract him with other activities?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 13:19

Hi & welcome. I also have an EBT, but he's 3 years old, now.

EBTs are known to suffer from OCD, and that is what your dog is experiencing & it must be stopped asap before it becomes life-threatening. Not just damage to his tail! OCD tail chasing (and/or spinning) will overtake everything else if you allow it to go on. Amputating his tail won't stop it - if you do that he'll likely just start spinning & that's even harder to stop.

dollaqie wrote:Hayley, I am not waiting this out, we did go for a walk yesterday afternoon, as this was the first time ever for him to walk on a leach it did not went that well and he was very anxcious after we came home and started to chase his tail even more. We will go again this afternoon and I take all the advice everybody has given here and tried to practice it towards him.

This is going to sound harsh, but I hope you take it the right way - you have done your dog a great diservice by not exercising him properly. Has he never had regular walks? At 5 months old he should be walked at least twice daily (preferably three times) for at least 25-30 minutes each walk with some off lead running & playing during those walks. He is going crazy. Literally. He's bored, frustrated and sounds like he has seperation anxiety to go with it (you say it's mainly when you've been out).

I am not an expert on OCD, but I can point you to a forum that will have several people that know what you should do. However, they will also tell you that your dog needs regular exercise & that not to do so is, quite frankly, cruel. The forum I mean is this.........
I hope you've read this far & that you've taken the above as me trying to help you rather than overly criticize you. You must act now, or you could end up having an insane dog that may need to be pts.

Last edited by Caryll on Sun Aug 12 2012, 16:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link to another forum removed.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 13:41

dollaqie wrote:
ella wrote:Harv used to chase his tail all the time as a pup but never injured it, he grew out of it very quickly though

He would have been about 7 months old when he 'grew' out of it and has only done a handful of times since

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 13:43

ella wrote:
dollaqie wrote:

He would have been about 7 months old when he 'grew' out of it and has only done a handful of times since

Unfortunately, Ella, there's a difference. EBTs are notorious for OCD tail chasing & spinning, both of which can lead to very severe mental & physical problems. He will not grow out of it, as it's anxiety based & has become a mental problem rather than a physical problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Aug 02 2012, 14:13

Zeus chases his tail and spins almost everyday, but nowhere near the point of injury. He stops when he gets hold of it and he does get his required walks daily. I thought this was just him mucking around? I didnt realise it was actually an issue that has to be stopped?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 15:48

regarding Zeus above I would be trying to distract him now while he is young..as you can see it can develop into a really bad habit..
Winston chased his tail alot when he was younger , he has such a long tail, but we always distracted him or made a noise..anything to break that train of thought, and now he rarely ever chases it. If I were you I would try to nip it in the bud now. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Aug 02 2012, 16:10

vanessa wrote:

regarding Zeus above I would be trying to distract him now while he is young..as you can see it can develop into a really bad habit..
Winston chased his tail alot when he was younger , he has such a long tail, but we always distracted him or made a noise..anything to break that train of thought, and now he rarely ever chases it. If I were you I would try to nip it in the bud now. Smile

Ok, thanks for the advice Vanessa, will get right on it!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 16:25

Caryll wrote:
ella wrote:
dollaqie wrote:

Unfortunately, Ella, there's a difference. EBTs are notorious for OCD tail chasing & spinning, both of which can lead to very severe mental & physical problems. He will not grow out of it, as it's anxiety based & has become a mental problem rather than a physical problem.

Yer i no they are was just well stating a point Wink

It does certainly need addressing and now, amputating the tail will make no difference and you need to correct his behaviour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down