Steve
jshrew
Pollyanna
janey
Meiko
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sleepy My STB tried to kill another dog...

Post by Meiko Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:46

First topic message reminder :

This is going to be a long story. My heart is breaking.

December 2010 I had a miscarriage, I adopted my puppy January 2011

I own a 20 month old male Staffie named Meiko, I got him at 11 weeks as his first owner was allergic to him. I tried my best to train him properly, he slept in his cage without a peep, responded well to his new name and I set up a puppy training schedule detailing what times he should be in his cage, time to eat, time to play, obedience training, toilet training and who had what responsibility when. The rules included a huge list of "do nots" such as puppy on the furniture, tug games, rough play, greeting the puppy excitedly at the door, encouraging mouthing or any other undesirable behaviour. I ensured I always walked through a door batting eyelashes first and other things to show him the pack hierarchy. I worked with him for periods every day increasing in duration as he got older. He was great at learning and I soon discovered food and treats were his favorite reward.

When I adopted him he hadn't had any jags yet so I organised both jabs, got him microchiped, wormed and even something that goes up his nose, something to do with kennel cough I think. When he was old enough I got him neutered too.

The only real problem we had with him was he was quite nervous, one of my friends were visiting and was a bit too loud, Meiko was shivering and let go of his bladder. I worked with him around people, other dogs and overcome his fear of passing lorries. I am very keen on motor sport and attend the racing every Saturday night and I'd take Meiko with me, he grew up around still saws, cars crashing, hundreds of people around him and other dogs
Meiko grew up with my partners mums German shepherd and they were best friends, they went to the same dog classes together and we're inseparable. Unfortunately Bear was 2 years old when he had an aneurysm in his spine and had to be put to sleep. Meiko was 10 months when this happened. Film's other friend is a female German shepherd Keira who he still sees regularly.

Meiko has no food or toy aggression, humans, Bear or Keira could share toys and treats with not even a blink.

About 4 months ago my partners mum adopted an 18 month old German shepherd named Max who has been abused beaten and neglected. Unfortunately I wasn't there when they were introduced but I was assured it was no problem. The next time I visited with Meiko, Max attacked him out of the blue and max has since bitten me 3 times. Meiko is terrified of max but I had been working with the two dogs (outside and muzzled) and I managed to keep at it until they could tolerate each other, they also attended the same dog classes. Unfortunately the training had to stop between the two dogs as my relationship with my partner ended.

After the attack I couldn't walk Meiko without him pulling like crazy at other dogs. No matter how much a worked with him, he'd pull and if it was a small dog and it yapped, he'd growl aggressively at it. He is still no problem with big dogs and plays fine but I little dog can't get near him. I am usually really careful to the point of my friends thinking I'm manic when I walk Meiko. I don't let him off the lead if there is another dog within half a mile of him. He has excellent recall and will return on one whistle to get his lead put back on.

Yesterday Meiko was off the lead and a bit in front of me when he saw a little fluffy dog and I couldn't get him back in time. He ran toward the other dog and started jumping up then the thing yapped and Meiko attacked it. The owner of the other dog kicked Meiko in the ribs half a dozen times and the male friend I was walking with kicked him too but Meiko wouldn't let go. These was blood everywhere. We eventually got them separated and we both left. I haven't been able to look at Meiko since, he's been feed, exercised and put in his cage because I don't know what to do.

If he turned as easy as that should I put him to sleep? I've failed him
Meiko
Meiko
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Meiko
Dog(s) Ages : 20 Months 01/11/2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

http://modelexpectations.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: My STB tried to kill another dog...

Post by Staffy lover Tue Jul 24 2012, 10:36

As I hadnt read the second page Blushing when I made the above post, dont worry about the police. You hold your head up high if you see those people about again. And as to the lead quote from brian smith, well no I dont agree with it either, however since Pixee is wary round certain people, and small dogs, I will put her back on lead. Her recall is not 100% but when we had her, it was so awful, its so much better now, that I can call her back the first time, but theres still times when she stays where she is, as if making her mind up go chase or come back to me. So lead time when its called for till then.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2