9 month old staffy is behaving badly

+2
janey
steplce
6 posters

Go down

9 month old staffy is behaving badly Empty 9 month old staffy is behaving badly

Post by steplce Thu Jul 19 2012, 08:36

my nine month old staffy has just started chewing things, he is pulling more on the lead, jumping up more and licking and nipping, if he picks up a stick, you havent got any chance of getting it off him not even with treats
steplce
steplce
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : alfie (staffy/mastiff cross)
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

9 month old staffy is behaving badly Empty Re: 9 month old staffy is behaving badly

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 08:55

He is entering the teenage phase so back to basics. If he nips turn around and ignore him. If he pulls turn and walk the other way. Make sure he is getting at least 2 walks that are 5 minutes in length per month of age.

Back to top Go down

9 month old staffy is behaving badly Empty Re: 9 month old staffy is behaving badly

Post by janey Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:57

Yep, he is going to push his boundries! Keep up with the training and be very firm, he'll soon learn who is boss again as long as you are consistant, feels like you've taken a step back, but it doesn't last forever Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 10:53

Can't add too much more, tbh. Most of them go through a rebellious 'teenage' stage - know everything, listen to nothing & nobody understands them.

Go back to basics & be firm & consistent. Don't allow something one day but not another.

You will also need to work on a really strong 'leave'. In the meantime, if he picks a stick up & won't drop it, put him on the lead & walk him around briskly, lots of turns, stops, about turns. Eventually he'll drop the stick through being dizzy - the instant he does, you say "Leave, good boy" & give him loads of praise. Walk him a few paces further & then reward him by letting him off lead again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:10

What are you feeding him on?

Sometimes behaviour can be a refelection of inappropriate diet, not saying it is in this case, just something else to consider. Excellent advice given above.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by steplce Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:13

wainwright dried dog food mixed with a bit of predigee chum wet food
steplce
steplce

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:32

Wainwright's is fine, but I wouldn't give the pedigree! If you want to use a wet food with the dry then I'd go with Wainwright's own.

Back to top Go down

Post by steplce Thu Jul 19 2012, 13:44

ok, thanks for the info
steplce
steplce

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Melwilk47 Fri Jul 20 2012, 09:15

Hey Alfie looks like a nice boy Smile
Yes he's a teenager so it's a difficult time, but with the chewing make sure he has lots of toys or chewy things to chew on like bones or pigs ears.
As for not dropping the stick, maybe you could give him something that he's not really fussed about, like an old toy that he's a bit sick of and practice "give" in a familiar surrounding, maybe in the house. So when he has the thing in his mouth offer him a treat, put it right up close to his mouth, a high valued treat works best, when he drops it say "give" and let him have the treat. This will teach him that when you say give he gets the treat after dropping, eventually you will be able to say "give" whilst offering him the treat and he will drop it, then after a loooong time without the treat.
Hopefully this will work for you, as not all pups are the same it may not but it's just an example of what I did with mine.
Good luck Big Grin
Melwilk47
Melwilk47
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
9 month old staffy is behaving badly Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jack & Juno
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months & 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:57

Buster is also going through the teenage stage. We were finally getting somewhere with training and then the hormones kicked in and we went back to square one! I am pleased to say though that he seems to be getting it out of his system fairly quickly as now we have more good days than bad. His worst thing is jumping up but this is taking longer to sort out due to nobody listening to me when I tell them how to make him stop banghead He doesn't jump up me at all, if I go out somewhere without him (which is rare) when I come back he will now come over and sit of lie infront of me (the best he can with a super wiggly bum! Laughing ). Just keep up with the training, it will pass eventually Smile
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 20:43

jstaff wrote:He is entering the teenage phase so back to basics. If he nips turn around and ignore him. If he pulls turn and walk the other way. Make sure he is getting at least 2 walks that are 5 minutes in length per month of age.

Good advice

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri Jul 20 2012, 21:57

chester is also going through teenage years if we are out and its safe to let him off he has started to ignore me when i call him back! so ive decided to keep him on lead for now but yes it seems all the training goes out the window how long does this "teenage" phase usually last? (my daughter it was years) Crying or Very sad
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down