Weird behaviour - one off or a problem?

4 posters

Go down

Weird behaviour - one off or a problem? Empty Weird behaviour - one off or a problem?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 07:01

Hey guys,

As I've said a million times, Charlie is the perfect dog. He was so easy to train, he's very well behaved (now that he's matured) he has excellent social skills and loves every one and every dog he meets ..... Until yesterday.

We were on our way back from a walk and we bumped into two oldish guys walking Jack Russells. Charlie started pulling, wanting to say hi. One of the guys said it was fine, his dog is really friendly so we approached. They were fine at first, then out of nowhere, with no provocation from the other dog, Charlie started growling and snarling at it. Thank god he was on the lead, so I pulled him back and apologised to the owner.

The other guy asked if he was people friendly so I said yep, he's great with people, and usually other dogs! The man approached, said hi to Charlie and went to stroke him, and Charlie started growling and snarling at him! I was absolutely gob smacked! Again, I pulled him right back, and apologised, explaining that he's never done that before.

The man was great about it, and said he was probably just protecting me, but Charlie has never ever growled at anyone like that before, and there was nothing aggressive or confrontational about the man that would make him feel the need to react like that.

My main worry is, when we're out, children always ask me if they can pet him and I always say yes, but what if he reacts like that again? I don't think he would ever hurt a child in a million years, but then until yesterday, I would have said he would never growl and snarl at a person/dog without serious provocation and in less than 30 seconds, he had done it twice.

I know you're all probably thinking its no big deal, he just had an off day, but honestly, he has NEVER growled at anyone before, and I don't want it to happen again, it was SO out of character for him Sad

Back to top Go down

Weird behaviour - one off or a problem? Empty Re: Weird behaviour - one off or a problem?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:13

Suki is very well socialized with people and dogs which is something we work hard on everyday and has always gotten along with everyone. That being said there is one guy at the dog park that she will bark and growl at everytime she seems him.

I wouldn't worry too much but maybe just socialize more than normal for a few days.

Back to top Go down

Weird behaviour - one off or a problem? Empty Re: Weird behaviour - one off or a problem?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:30

shon maybe charlie was picking up a funny sence coming from them they seem to know if something not right ??????
in the first instance carlie may not have been growling at the jrt it may have been the owner all along may just have been something in his body laungage he didnt like.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:49

I'm inclined to agree with J and Big, Moo is ultra friendly but when I worked at the club there was one old guy that she just didn't like, I worked it out that it was his cap she didn't like, not him, maybe it could be something like that. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 09:55

was there something offensive on his cap janey
(barstewards can only pull pints) Surprised Surprised >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 11:08

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. If he's never shown any aggression before he isn't going to start now.

There are some people that certain dogs just do not like. No reason that we can find, it's just there. Dempsey has a down on two particular guys round my way. One is a guy who delivers papers & is often a little drunk. With him, I think Dempsey doesn't like the drunk aspect & he'll only growl at him when he's had a few. The other is a different matter. This guy is, admittedly, a bit weird, but that doesn't normally bother Demps - he actually gets on very well with people with learning or physical disabilities . BUT. Demps only has to see this guy & he goes on the alert. If the guy comes withing 5 yards of us he snarls, really nastily & will go on full attack if the man comes any closer.

However, with all kids, disabled people (mental & physical) he is absolutely 100%.

Dogs sense things we don't. Alec Waters said to me, many years ago, "If my dog doesn't like someone, neither do I - he has more sense than me!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 19 2012, 11:43

Were the Jack Russells staring at Charlie and I know this can set things off it has with Rocky. We just cover his eyes for a few seconds or block his view for a while then he is fine.

Charlie isn't in pain is he ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 11:45

i total agree with the final statment caryll
im going to use memphis to pick which lads are aloud in the house when the doughters get older >Smile ( Surprised not be long oldest 12 in a few weeks Crying or Very sad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:08

Caryll's last statement thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 12:49

Thanks guys. I think and hope it was just a one off. Everything was fine with the other dog, both had great body language, I always watch everything cos Charlie can get a bit over playful sometimes, there was seriously no provocation from the other dog to warrant Charlie's behaviour and I'm at a loss as to what caused him to snarl at a harmless old guy. I'm just going to forget about it and just keep a close eye when we're out, hopefully it won't happen again.

Thank you all for the reassurance Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Jul 19 2012, 14:02

Dogs do sense things we dont. Pixee always growls at the ones I find threating, and yet she does not like certain people, mainly grey hair ones, and oh yes as I am finding out the last few weeks, red hair people, now those she goes crazy growling over. I put it down to her history too. Sometimes you have to trust your dog. They do know best Smile I wouldnt worry about it for now.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 14:09

Dogs can take an instant dislike to others, and in that state of mind it isn't advisable to let a stranger come and stroke them.

Back to top Go down

Post by first tri Thu Jul 19 2012, 15:13

Strangely enough I've been trying to add a signature to my posts.. the one I want to use is "If your dog doesn't like someone perhaps you shouldn't either"
WHY? Because I know it to be the truth
Our Dal Cassie (adopted at 8 years old and adored until she passed at nearly 18 (still adored actually!)) used to growl and snarl at a friend of mine everytime she saw her.
Even put in another room she would sit behind the door grumbling until the woman left.
When she even moved to attempt to pet her Cassie would snap her teeth in warning and her hackles would be up and she would walk away and watch from across the room.
We put it down to her life before we got her ... we were wrong ... the friend turned out to be no such thing!
Cassie knew from day one!
And Benson?
Well, the former friend visited our neighbour the second week - I know because it was the first time I'd heard Benson growling and I rushed outside to see what was happening.
He was on his own having just gone out to toilet otherwise I would have put it down to negative signals from me, but I was totally unaware of her presence until it tippled to me what had set Benson off.
He has never "growled in anger" at another person or animal in the nearly 7 weeks he's been part of our family.
I'm convinced dogs know when something or somebody is just not "right".
Sorry, this has been a really long post. I do go on sometimes. Excuse me. Blushing
first tri
first tri
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 4 (14/12/2007)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 15:16

first tri wrote:Strangely enough I've been trying to add a signature to my posts.. the one I want to use is "If your dog doesn't like someone perhaps you shouldn't either"

Sorry, the only 'signatures' allowed on the forum are those of the Staff - We don't have them on other members' sigs because of the space they can take up on the website!

first tri wrote:I'm convinced dogs know when something or somebody is just not "right".

Totally agree!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 17:45

Thank you all for your input. Charlie has been completely normal today, I think there was just something about that dude and the dog that he didn't like.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 19 2012, 17:56

Most likely hun Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 21:06

He might not have been in the mood. By which I mean, maybe he was sick or injured? I'm not saying there must be something wrong with him, but dogs get bad days as well as people, and people snap at others when they feel like that, so maybe he did too. Failing that, maybe he picked up on something that made him want to protect you? I read that animals can pick up on emotions very well, so they'll know when something is off about someone or not. I believe that. Or it could be as simple as him overreacting to something. I wouldn't worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down