+3
Galadriel
Buster's_Mum
Jellytot
7 posters

Go down

Neutering  Empty Neutering

Post by Jellytot Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:14

I know this is not an easy question as there is no right or wrong answer and we all have different opinions...

But... we are thinking about whether to get Ralph castrated. Obviously he is still only 4 and a half months, but it’s a discussion we are having.

I’ve been doing some research and basically the first question is if we should have it done in the first place. We don’t plan to show Ralph or to breed him.

Obviously there are pros and cons. I see there is less of a chance of him getting certain types of cancer – but an increase in others.

Increase in weight is another issue? Anyone noticed this?

Does it really curb their behaviours?

The other issue is when!

Our vet said that we could have him done at 6 months, but I see vets are very pro having dogs neutered and may not be telling us the other side of the story.

Some research has said not to have them done until they are fully developed, but other has shown that it’s too late then as they’ve already developed the behaviours that you would be trying to stop!

Help please in nutshell !!! at wits end
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Neutering  Empty Re: Neutering

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:22

Firstly, neutering rarely solves behavioural issues. That's what training is for. Castrating a male may calm him down a little. But then again, it may not.

Have a read through these. Yes, I know they're long, but they're worth a look.....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t18747-couple-of-interesting-articles-in-dog-world-about-early-neutering#267334

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/spaying_neutering.shtml

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:25

I haven't had Buster done and I do not plan on breeding or showing him either. IF I do get him done it will not be untill he is at least 2 years old when he is a bit more mature, but I may not bother at all as we haven't had any problems so far and as the saying goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Our last staffy, Tyson, we had done at 6 months. He had always gone to training classes and was never nasty. After getting him done he became dog aggressive and I believe it was mainly down to nervousness. I don't know if it was down to the neutering but it was the only thing that changed. This is the main reason why I will not get Buster done yet, I don't want to risk it happening again. I have also met a lady with a collie that had a similar problem with her dog and she has said that if she ever gets another male she will wait.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Neutering  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:30

The links Caryll provided all have great information. It comes down to a personal decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:44

Buster's_Mum wrote:I haven't had Buster done and I do not plan on breeding or showing him either. IF I do get him done it will not be untill he is at least 2 years old when he is a bit more mature, but I may not bother at all as we haven't had any problems so far and as the saying goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Our last staffy, Tyson, we had done at 6 months. He had always gone to training classes and was never nasty. After getting him done he became dog aggressive and I believe it was mainly down to nervousness. I don't know if it was down to the neutering but it was the only thing that changed. This is the main reason why I will not get Buster done yet, I don't want to risk it happening again. I have also met a lady with a collie that had a similar problem with her dog and she has said that if she ever gets another male she will wait.

That's interesting. Thank you. That's the type of answer I was after - I've read all the stuff on the internet but was after any personal opinions due to experience.

We are spending a lot of time with Ralph training him to hopefully be a well behaved boy.

I was just worried that if we left it too long, it would already be too late!

The other thing that I read it helped with was roaming in a male dog. I don't want him wandering off to get his 'leg over' as his recall is what we are struggling with at the moment! Although at 4 months we still have a lot of work to do I understant that.
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:54

It's never too late unless you have him neutered & then regret it!

A friend on a GSD forum had her other dog (a lab) neutered at 5 months old. Afterwards he became nervous & fear aggressive. Even now he has his problems (he's 5 years old now). Her GSD male is intact and is very well behaved, even when her GSD bitch is in season!

My boss's old dog (GSD x Doberman x red setter!) was neutered at 7 months & his character changed beyond all recognition. From being a lively, well adjusted, friendly pup he became agressive, disobedient and nervous. He eventually died a few months afterwards because he went for another dog walker & then ran off across the road, in front of a car. Sad

I am not anti-neutering. To me, that's everybody's own decision. I am, however, totally anti early neutering. By waiting until a dog is mature you not only avoid detrimental effects, but you can also gain the health benefits.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't say, but I don't neuter at all & have never had a problem with unwanted litters, aggression or related cancers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 11:59

Yea its totally up to you....mine were done at 6 and 7 months and suffered no ill effects what so ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Jul 17 2012, 12:03

Caryll wrote:It's never too late unless you have him neutered & then regret it!

HA! Yes - you can't put them back!!!

AGGGGHHH! What to do! at wits end

Really appreciate all your comments!
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Jul 17 2012, 12:04

blaze wrote:Yea its totally up to you....mine were done at 6 and 7 months and suffered no ill effects what so ever

Can I ask what made you get them done so young?
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 12:09

If your going to get him desexed wait till his matured, and also cocking his leg, as most males done before they do this * like a girlie their whole lifes whistling
The testosterone which will cease is what makes his grow and look as a male, remove this before time and he'll have a feminine look about him too
( This i have seen myself in a male pup from Sky and Mayja, all his unsexed brothers are butch looking males yet he looks puppy/female-ish )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 12:14

I know it's different, because you have a male, but Dempsey's best friend Pneuma (GSD) was spayed at 5 months old. She is now 3 years old, is extremely leggy & narrow (an effect of early neutering as the growth plates close later), quite nervous and acts like a teenager. Cute, you may think? Not when it's a full grown, 40 kilo GSD! Also, her vulva never grew beyond the 5 month size & she suffers from urinary burn as a consequence - her lady bits have to be wiped every time she pees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Jul 17 2012, 15:09

Jellytot wrote:
blaze wrote:Yea its totally up to you....mine were done at 6 and 7 months and suffered no ill effects what so ever

Can I ask what made you get them done so young?

Pretty much every vet I've met always recommends getting them done at that age so perhaps that had something to do with it.

I'm generally pro neutering unless there is a medical reason not to. Due mainly to the fact that the majority of people aren't responsible or knowledgable enough to own intact dogs and there are far too many unwanted dogs in this country.

I also know someone who sadly lost their dalmation after he was run over chasing an in season bitch (totally out of character - he'd never shown an interest previously and was well trained, had a solid recall etc. apart from on that fateful day Sad) so for me, I'd always feel the need to have an entire dog on lead unless in a very secure area.

From the research I've done, in dogs, there really isn't much in it health wise (not including bitches here - there is a clear health benefit for bitches to be spayed) and IME, it's generally easier to handle a castrated dog when there are in season bitches around, although it does depend on the dog. I know one dog (entire) that couldn't care less, he has no sex drive but I've also heard of entire males scaling 6 foot fences to find a mate. It reduces the likelihood of same sex aggression and how other male dogs act too.

The weight gain argument is a non argument IMO. If your dogs metabolism slows down post neuter then feed less, it's as simple as that.

You've just hot to weigh it up and make the decision that you think is best for yoy and your dog.

I would however advise that if you decide to neuter, wait until the dog is fully matured if possible before, at least 12 months, preferably 18 months/2 years.

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 15:17

I personally NEVER neuter unless they medically need i.e tumour etc.

They is no health benefits in getting them neutered, and it very very rarely helps with behaviour issues.

Also if you do decided to neuter please think about waiting until he is 18 months - 2 years old to give him time to mature

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 17 2012, 15:57

I've been considering this issue too, Zeus is coming up to 6 months but I tend to agree with ella, I don't think I'd get him neutered unless it was medically needed or he had other problems.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Tue Jul 17 2012, 16:41

Our pup is still only 9 weeks, so haven't really thought about it although one of his testicles has not dropped yet.. so he may HAVE to have it done anyways, just have to wait and see what happens i guess! Didn't really want too but may have to.
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 16:42

x0gawjus0x wrote:Our pup is still only 9 weeks, so haven't really thought about it although one of his testicles has not dropped yet.. so he may HAVE to have it done anyways, just have to wait and see what happens i guess! Didn't really want too but may have to.

I wouldn't worry about the testicle yet. They can take some weeks (up to about 5 months old) to fully descend.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Tue Jul 17 2012, 17:06

I always try too stay off these threads as i know people have quite strong views on neutering and when is best I have always had bitches and as i have owned dogs for 35yrs i have had both pre and post season spaying years ago they didn,t like them spayed before one season, none of my dogs have had any ill effects i have know had alot of dogs pre season spayed and not had any problems in fact my current dog is the biggest most well musculared and fittest stafford i have owned and she was spayed at 6mnths, i like everyone believe it is down too personal choice and would never preach too anyone but i am having my little girl spayed next week at 6mnths as it works out for the best for my preferences saying that i have done alot of research on this and have been following a new study that has been taking place over the last 9yrs by the Cornell university where they have been testing all the said pros and cons for early versus older neutering, when i say pre season i do believe that a bitch shouldn,t be done before 6mnths but they have some very interesting findings. The study found "Neutering 6 months of age was not associated with any serious or substantially elevated risks of medical or behavioral conditions and may provide some important long-term benefits dogs spayed between 6 and 8 months of age did not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals spayed early than those spayed at a more traditional age

Continuing Controversy
Unfortunately, despite the new studies, the controversy continues—and many veterinarians are still very hesitant to try pediatric neutering. Concerns about obesity, stunted growth, underdevelopment of secondary sex characteristics, behavioral problems and increased incidence of both lower urinary tract disease and urinary incontinence have been addressed in the veterinary literature and found to be unwarranted. Any differences that have been found appear to have no clinical significance, or occur regardless of the age at neutering.
veterinarians who perform pediatric surgery insist that it is faster and less stressful to the animal than surgery at the conventional age. There is less body fat to contend with, bleeding is minimal and the patients are awake much sooner after surgery. the research is still going on but it does make very interesting reading
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Tue Jul 17 2012, 18:50

I for one have decided to hold off until Saffy is 2. At which point I will get her spayed just because I will be looking to buy a male then and I won't take the risk of them 'getting down to business'. My future male though won't be neutered.

However I did neuter my bitch and male Yorkies previously at 6 mths, 1.5 years and they didn't suffer anything I would consider anything unusual. So I honestly think it depends on the dog or even maybe the breed(??)
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 18:59

My favourite link for reading when deciding:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:26

ella wrote:My favourite link for reading when deciding:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Thanks, Ella, that was a very interesting read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down