Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands!

+4
Rachb26
Kathy
janey
siannied
8 posters

Go down

Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Empty Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands!

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:37

Well, a quick background...
We adopted Paws as a puppy from Homeless Hounds, he was hand reared and came to us at 6 weeks, as his mother died after birth Sad He is now 7 months, (he is crossed with a sharpei) so he is quite big
He is extremely good in regards to toilet training, he is fully trained day and night.
However, we have mega issues with him, with constantly trying to run out of the door as soon as he sees anybody near it or if its opening.
once somebody comes in he jumps none stop at them and doesnt let go. The only peson he doesnt do this with is me. He does it to my little boy who is 2 and sends him flying. Sad
The other thing he keeps doing is taking things and chewing them up I(we did the initial chewing stage and got through it around 4 months and he was great) now he has decided to start again, only this time he doesnt listen.
He can get into the bins and finds dirty soiled nappies Sad he has ruined my sister blackberry also.
He is never alone at home as my husband works days and i work nights. i have been the main trainer with him, and we were doing really well, now he doesnt want to listen to me unless he can be bothered Sad
siannied
siannied
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paws
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Empty Re: Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands!

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:40

Hi & welcome.

Has he always jumped up or is this a recent thing?

Back to top Go down

Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Empty Re: Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands!

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:44

Always from day 1. I have tried putting him on his lead, removing him from the situation, bribing him with treats but he doesnt want to listen Sad
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:45

Hi & Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:47

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Do you have a crate for him ?

I ask this because we have one for Rocky who was also one for running out of our front door as soon as it was opened. Rocky has now kind of trained himself to go into the crate whenever the front door is opened. At first we used to just slide the catch across so he couldn't get out but now we dont have to do that. The crate is in the hallway near the front door.

As for the jumping up, when he does this turn your back on him and ignore the behaviour. He will soon get the message that jumping up dosn't get any response from you but when he sits down and is good he gets a reward of either a small treat or a toy.

Try to keep your indoor bins tidy and empty regularly if you can, this should stop him inspecting them.

Does he get enough exercise ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:50

What do you feed him and what sort of exercise does he get?

Sorry, I know this sounds like twenty questions, but it's best to get as much info as possible! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:09

My reply vanished . He gets Atleast 2 hours walk a day (the school run plus my husband takes him at night) plus my back door is wide open all day come rain or shine.

Crate training would be hard as I have no where to put a crate as my livin room is quite small an the front door leads straight into it Sad

He is fed on complete dry food. He also gets pasta an rice sometimes he gets meat and his dog gravy (this is what the vets asked me to give him from day 1..

He has mastered the art of getting into an old fashioned dustbin I don't have any bins in the house due to him being a monkey with them! .
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:11

siannied wrote:He is fed on complete dry food. He also gets pasta an rice sometimes he gets meat and his dog gravy (this is what the vets asked me to give him from day 1..

He has mastered the art of getting into an old fashioned dustbin I don't have any bins in the house due to him being a monkey with them! .

Next question.....what dry food do you give him?

Re: the bins, do you have bins with lids? Can you get something heavy to put on top to stop him opening them?

Back to top Go down

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:16

I give him pro plan from the vets :-)

And yes the bin has a lid! I could try putting something heavy on altho it's a slanted lid so not sure if it would stay haha x
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:23

The other thing he is being notorious for... Because of his height he can actually get onto our units in our kitchen! (we didn't know this until
I walked in and caught him on there chewing away at the tears for our babies bottles Sad )
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:30

It sounds, to be honest, as though he's going through the 'teenage years'.... knows everything, listens to nothing & nobody understands him!

Go back to basics. If he jumps up, a firm "No!" and turn away. Don't look at him, don't speak to him, all play or other interraction stops immediately. If he carries on, take him out of the room & shut the door for a couple of minutes.

Everybody must do the same thing, including visitors. It might help to put a collar & short lead on him when you have visitors so that you can easily lead him out of the room.

Whenever the front door is about to be opened (walks, school run, visitors etc) make him sit & wait. Don't open the door until he is sitting calmly & if he goes to move before you let him, then shut the door. Again, it might help to have a collar & shoort lead on him to make sure you have control.

If you can't secure the bins, then get a pop bottle, half fill it with stones & then watch him like a hawk (this may work with the chewing as well). As soon as he shows any interest in the bin (or any item that he shouldn't be touching) shake the bottle hard to make a noise at the same time as you say "Leave it!" If he doesn't respond to that, then throw the bottle down on the floor as near to him as you can without hitting him whilst you say "Leave it". The sudden shock of the sound of the stones will hopefully make him think twice about touching what he shouldn't, and will reinforce the "leave" command.

Back to top Go down

Post by siannied Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:40

I will try that starting tomorrow! That's a brilliant idea.
We were saying he is a lovely dog. Extremely loving full of kisses and loves to play. But just doesn't want to listen. I am going to get my friend who has dogs to come help me and see if she can help me solve the visitor part of things.

Thank you.i will keep you updated with how the bottle shaking goes Smile x
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:44

Caryll wrote:It sounds, to be honest, as though he's going through the 'teenage years'.... knows everything, listens to nothing & nobody understands him!

Go back to basics. If he jumps up, a firm "No!" and turn away. Don't look at him, don't speak to him, all play or other interraction stops immediately. If he carries on, take him out of the room & shut the door for a couple of minutes.

Everybody must do the same thing, including visitors. It might help to put a collar & short lead on him when you have visitors so that you can easily lead him out of the room.

Whenever the front door is about to be opened (walks, school run, visitors etc) make him sit & wait. Don't open the door until he is sitting calmly & if he goes to move before you let him, then shut the door. Again, it might help to have a collar & shoort lead on him to make sure you have control.

If you can't secure the bins, then get a pop bottle, half fill it with stones & then watch him like a hawk (this may work with the chewing as well). As soon as he shows any interest in the bin (or any item that he shouldn't be touching) shake the bottle hard to make a noise at the same time as you say "Leave it!" If he doesn't respond to that, then throw the bottle down on the floor as near to him as you can without hitting him whilst you say "Leave it". The sudden shock of the sound of the stones will hopefully make him think twice about touching what he shouldn't, and will reinforce the "leave" command.

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Completly agree with the above advice from Caryll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Mon Jul 16 2012, 10:30

Agree with Caryll too Big Grin

And you could try a water pistol. It's good for long range alongside other training. People might think I'm cruel but it works a treat and all it does is shock them enough to change their train of thought.

We've been using one to stop Saffy from chasing the cats. She's a quick little minx and this way I can re-enforce my 'leave' command without me chasing her and making it more of a game! But we always praise and treat whens she's calm around the cats too. And it's been very effective, as we have been consistent with it and manage any, cat and pup, contact closely.

Also just to point out we have been using it on my cat too, who growls and hisses at Saffy, which obviously instigates alot of it. And it works both ways.

Anyway I'm sure you could implement it in other ways too, especially with jumping up, if turning around isn't working.

And welcome by the way! Big Grin
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Jul 16 2012, 13:13

I'm no expert - these guys on here are great - but I thought I'd just share this - it really worked for us. Ralph had a fettish for slippers and feet! It was impossible to walk anywhere in the house without him grabbing me - and this did the trick!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UCH02O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001E0L5YA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1NCR5VGQ793DEZJATDMZ

Don't know what the guys opinions are on here about it - but it worked for me! More expensive than the bottle with stones, I liked it because I could keep it in my pocket and get it out when I saw him up to no good!
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 16 2012, 16:16

Jellytot wrote:I'm no expert - these guys on here are great - but I thought I'd just share this - it really worked for us. Ralph had a fettish for slippers and feet! It was impossible to walk anywhere in the house without him grabbing me - and this did the trick!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UCH02O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001E0L5YA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1NCR5VGQ793DEZJATDMZ

Don't know what the guys opinions are on here about it - but it worked for me! More expensive than the bottle with stones, I liked it because I could keep it in my pocket and get it out when I saw him up to no good!

I also have a can of this in my bag for when out on walks, would be a good deterent because of the noise it makes, and better to stop any unwanted behaviour before it gets out of hand.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by siannied Tue Jul 17 2012, 21:48

Hi.... Quick update...
Today is the first day since I posted thy we had visitors.
These being my husbands mum, stepdad and grandma...
They all came together... Before they came in the house I advised them that when they came into the house they were to ignore paws as we were training him to keep calm.
We put him on a short lead and my husband sat him infrint of his legs, til him to sit and gave him a treat.... When they came him he tried to get to them. But I told him to sit and treated him when he did.
When his tail had stoppe wagging so much we let him off his lead, they carried on ignoring him and he won't and sat in his bed Smile

This is when stes mum went to him and told him he was a good boy and have him a treat.
Apart from 2 attempts and trying to get on the sofa to kiss my husbands step dad he was a perfect little man!!! Will keep it up and see how he goes Smile

Xxx
siannied
siannied

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 21:49

Good to hear it went well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Wed Jul 18 2012, 23:26

Think you got some great advice there.enjoyed reading topic.nothing to add,haha....hope his behaviour improves soon.good luck! Smile
Kev13
Kev13
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 D.O.B = Nov 5th 2009
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 18 2012, 23:41

Progress Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Melwilk47 Fri Jul 20 2012, 09:19

Good work!! Big Grin
Melwilk47
Melwilk47
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jack & Juno
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months & 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri Jul 20 2012, 22:02

have you tried training classes?
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help Please! naughty monkey on my hands! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down