breeding my bitch

5 posters

Go down

breeding my bitch Empty breeding my bitch

Post by wendersbbz Sun Jul 15 2012, 13:26

hi there, i have been approached and asked if i would breed my white staffy ! i said i didnt know as she,s not even the age to breed ! dont think i will be anyway ! then someone said i cant breed a white staffy ? is this right anyone confused

Moved your post to the Staffy Chat to get more response, hope you dont mind.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Sun Jul 15 2012, 13:32; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : moved post to Chat)

wendersbbz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : echo and neka
Dog(s) Ages : echo 18 months / neka 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : both female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

breeding my bitch Empty Re: breeding my bitch

Post by wendersbbz Sun Jul 15 2012, 13:45

not at all Smile

wendersbbz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 14:09

Firstly, is she registered? If not, then I'd say don't do it. There are enough unregistered staffs in rescue without adding to the overpopulation of staffs.

If she is registered, then of course you can breed from a white bitch, but whether you should or not is another question. Is she a good example of the breed? Does she have enough vairtues to improve the breed as a whole through her puppies?

Is the sire registered & good enough to breed from? You should health test both sire & dam (L2-HGA, HC at the very least, and with a white bitch she should be tested for hearing - baer test - and so should any white pups that are born). You should also have enough suitable homes arranged before the mating so that if she has, say, 8 pups (not unheard of in staff) then you have at least 10 good homes lined up.

You should be aware of the expense that complications could bring (a ceasarian section is not a rarity) plus could you cope with keeping any of the pups yourself if you can't sell them or if a couple get returned to you for whatever reason?

Each pup has to be wormed before leaving and should also be microchipped - more expense. It certainly isn't profit making!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 14:52

I can't add anything to that. All i can say is really think hard about breeding as you will bring potentially up to 12 dogs into the world, each of which will need up to 15 years of someone life.

If you are serious about the breed, as caryll says, it will not be a very profitable thing!

Also don't be swayed when people say it is good to have a litter before you spay, this is an old wives tale and probably the cause of a LOT of unwanted/irresponsibly bred puppies.

Thank you for seeking advise before you consider it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 14:56

Please listen to Caryll and Hayley, personally if you asked me I would say no , we have enough already without even discussing the procedures and nightmares you could be bringing on Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by wendersbbz Sun Jul 15 2012, 15:38

thank you very much everyone for the feed back ! i was merely asking as i have never been asked to mate my bitch before ! i would not even consider it. as i know full well of all the dogs in the pounds Surprised

wendersbbz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 16:07

Even if you did go ahead, as you say your girl isn't old enough yet. A bitch should be at least two years old before you mate her.

I've been offered goodness knows how much over the last two and a half years to mate my EBT to various bitches (staffs, EBTs, even a dalmation!) but I've said no. Dempsey's a fantastic dog, full of character & is, in his way, a great looking boy. But I'm honest enough with myself to know that he's not a good enough specimen of the breed to reproduce, especially with other breeds!

On a lighter note, a friend with a GSD (handsome boy, good temperament) was offered £200 to mate him to their bitch (rangy, straggly looking thing). My friend said "I wouldn't anyway, but he's been castrated". The bloke then said "That's ok, I don't think she'll mind!". Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by first tri Sun Jul 15 2012, 19:07

Caryll wrote: My friend said "I wouldn't anyway, but he's been castrated". The bloke then said "That's ok, I don't think she'll mind!". Rolling Eyes

Somebody skipped biology class Laughing
first tri
first tri

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 4 (14/12/2007)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 15 2012, 19:24

Caryll wrote:
On a lighter note, a friend with a GSD (handsome boy, good temperament) was offered £200 to mate him to their bitch (rangy, straggly looking thing). My friend said "I wouldn't anyway, but he's been castrated". The bloke then said "That's ok, I don't think she'll mind!". Rolling Eyes

Where did they go to school Laughing

You just have to laugh sometimes Laughing
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:06

TBH the person who asked you to breed your staffie must not care much about the breed if he didnt even ask her age. Also whoever told you that you cant breed her cause she is white, well that says it all. I am all on for breeding if its for the right reason, enhancing the breed!! Not money or anything else. My advice is enjoy your pup and stay away from people who have not got a clue what they are talking about.
If you think that breeding your pup in a few years will enhance the breed then go for it. When done properly, breeding dogs does not make much money, when do right!!
Only my opinion!!

Staffiesrus
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
breeding my bitch Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Jul 16 2012, 09:25

Lot of ppl are motivated by money tbh, I have been approached by various ppl when just out walking my 2 locally.

Most ask if we will breed from my 2, but one said she wants to use Tank on her unregistered, staffy cross bitch. I was like, Tank is a baby, he's barely 4mths old, and I wouldn't let him touch an unreg non health checked bitch let alone a cross !

Also I was approached by a random guy who though my girl Diesel was a male, and wanted to use on his staffy x sharpei.

Crazy ppl !

Crazy
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245