jamesbeil
7 posters

Go down

Breeding Empty Breeding

Post by jamesbeil Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:24

Whenever I take the little man out, people make two remarks:

1) "Look at the size of his feet, he's going to be huge!"
2) "He'd make an excellent stud dog!"

Since I know people on here have the dogs interests at heart, can anyone give any advice towards responsible breeding? We're going to make sure his temperament stays calm and polite as he reaches adulthood and get a blood test done to see if there's anything wrong with the chap, but because he's a mongrel and we've not got any records of his parentage, he's never going to produce any little thoroughbreds.

Obviously, I plan to make sure any potential breeders are responsible, but at the moment I'm torn between knowing how many staffies and staffy crosses end up in rescue, and the thought of adding some healthy genes into the breed. Any thoughts or input would be welcome!

jamesbeil
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 17th December 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Breeding Empty Re: Breeding

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:28

The only way to breed responsibly is to have a fully health tested dam and sire and ever have experience or work with someone who has a lot.

Staffords have health issues that can be passed on through irresponsible untested breeders and the pups will suffer as a result.

There are very few reasons to breed other than to stick to the standard and better the breed, however, there is a myriad of reasons not to.

I for one don't have enough experience etc and will at this stage of my life never even consider it. Even though I have been asked myself about Logan.

Have a read through this Smile
http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/do_i_need_to_breed

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:38

jamesbeil wrote: but because he's a mongrel and we've not got any records of his parentage, he's never going to produce any little thoroughbreds.

Dont breed him there far to many staffy x in recuse these day!!

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:45

If he's a cross, you won't be adding good genes into the breed, just into the non-registered dogs, which doesn't really benefit the breed itself at all. Best to leave the breeding to the people with healthy, KC-registered dogs. Although it's good of you to want to have the health checks done and etc., which shows you're thnking about it properly as opposed to simply being greedy, as you said yourself, there are lots of Staffs and Staff crosses in rescues, and you'll only be contributing to it with more crosses/non-registered dogs. Although healthy, they'd only ever be pets, they wouldn't be shown and wouldn't be recognised as good examples of the breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:51

^^^^ I agree with above, best leave it to the professionals, there are far to many staffy & staffy x's in rescue centres that need forever homes Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:12

Don't do it!

As already said, there are far too many staffords/Stafford crosses in rescue centres as it is. To my mind the only reason to breed is to better the breed - I'm afraid you can't do that with a cross breed.

Anyway, why on earth do people think he'd make a good stud dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:20

I wouldn't recommend breeding any dogs that aren't KC reg, only because I find it hard to believe that anyone can breed a dog that isn't matched in 1 rescue centre across the county. There are thousands being put to sleep every week just because there are too many and some of them are real crackers. If you do want to reserach into it don't forget to include a few trips to different rescue centres to see some of the staffys unhomed and unwanted Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:23

Sorry forgot to say well done. Only 17 and already has the sense to research it and ask for advice. Not many at 17 do that so hats off to you thumbs up
Thats includes myself. I was a bit of a know it all at 17........come to think about it don't think I've grown out of that yet Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:42

Have to completely agree with Tara's and everyone elses advice here. Don't do it! If you go to any rescue you will see a bunch of beautiful staffy's that "would make perfect stud dogs" but they get put down because they can't find a home. There is just too many of them. There is no need for anyone but professionals to breed. I have nothing against cross bred dogs as I am very passionate about rescue dogs but there is no need to add to it and I would say the exact same thing if your dog was pure bred.
At the pounds around here there is heaps of pure breed staffs with papers that are good examples of the breed and they still can't all find a new home, the situation is even worse for the cross bred dogs unfortunately.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Breeding Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:45

Agree with everyone else.. Leave breeding to the experts Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:55

Nooo dont to it, leave it to the experts!

I agree with Mike...make sure you include visits to rescue centres to see how many need to find forever homes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 22 2013, 09:56

Totally agree with those above.

If any one was to ask me about breeding a Staffy cross I would advise them to go and have a good look around a few rescue centres and talk to the staff there. I'm sure they would all agree there are far too many Staffy crosses around already and to definitely not add to the already huge problem of finding loving, caring homes for them all.

Leave it to the professionals.

I'm sure you, as a dog lover, can see this all makes sense.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Apr 22 2013, 10:08

totally agree with whats been said,we all think our dogs are the best looking dogs and to be fair they are to us!you say he's a mongrel so how could you be bettering the breed by breeding him?please dont get me wrong sasha is a cross and i would'nt have her any other way,please go to any rescue centre and see how many staffys/staffy crosses there are,please leave it to the professionals Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 11:49

cant add anything as all been said deff agree not a good idea Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:48

Can't add anymore even if kc reg I would think seriously as a lot of kc dogs are not to standard
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:02

I agree with everyone else, please leave breeding to the professionals, well done for asking for advise first though Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:14

Agree with everyone else to be honest, nothing more I can add! I've been asked about breeding my girl plenty of times because of how big she is; from those comments alone I know they're not interested in her for anything more than breeding her for looks and size. I wouldn't ever breed, and never could because she's a rescue (been spayed) and I'd much rather leave it to the breeders. Apparently 3/4 pups from an unregistered litter end up in rescues by their 1st birthday; even KC registered ones come in at some point too, so really do think hard about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:24

Yeah I read a while ago, I think it said that only 40% of all staffy pups make it to their 4th birthday? can't say if it's true but I wouldn't be suprised and it's very sad Sad
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:33

Please reconsider it is not the right thing to do and will only add to the problems

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:03

No, please don't even consider it! I'm so glad you have come here for advice and that your aim is to rear Tyson to happy and healthy adulthood - that is your first priority.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would look at a puppy and immediately think in terms of breeding from him - maybe they were trying to flatter you? Please don't let their admiration for your pup turn your head in that direction.

As an indication of what can typically be expected from breeding non-KC registered dogs/Staffy crosses, I can do no better than tell you about my own pup's litter mates. There were 5 of them, born to pet-owners (or backyard breeders as they are more commonly known) who had both Mum and Dad. Dad was a typical Staff - Mum wasn't! The only bitch in the litter had already been sold when we saw them - luckily to a good home and we see her often. Of the 4 dog puppies left, we chose a pup who died four days after we got him from congenital emphysema; un-noticed by the kindly but novice breeders (or us until we got him home). We were given Kuchar as a "free replacement". The other two dog puppies were sold (one at a hugely cut-down price) to young lads. Both pups had lovely temperaments originally - I saw both of them in the next few months and one had turned "nasty" and the other was being shouted at and was being dragged cowering at the end of his lead. Both dogs have now "disappeared", one of them reputedly being put down for killing another puppy. 5 lovely puppies - only two surviving in good homes.

Please don't add to the misery! Just concentrate on bringing your own puppy up to being the friend and companion you undoubtedly want him to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down