puppy feeding

4 posters

Go down

puppy feeding Empty puppy feeding

Post by nobby123 Wed Jul 11 2012, 15:47

been do some research on here for feeding my new puppy seems to be scrambled eggs or weetabix in morning followed by dry food for the rest of the day and goats milk but some people say goats milk should not be given just wondering if this is ok!!!! AT WHAT AGE SHOULD I START WEENING ON TO DRY FOOD ALONE ?THE PUPPY WILL BE 8WEEKS WHEN I GET HER cant wait also does anyone think wagg dog will b ok to feed her know its not the best food but will it be ok thanks everyone this site is really usefull and full of good dog people to many dogs in shelters at the moment so it is good to see responible people on here thanxs Big Grin

nobby123
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : roxy/china
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

puppy feeding Empty Re: puppy feeding

Post by goldie87 Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:02

Zeus has been on dry food ever since we got him at 8 weeks old.
From 8 weeks to 12 weeks, we fed him four times a day (8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm), then 12 weeks to 6 months, it'll be three times a day (8am, 2pm, 8pm) and then twice a day up until a year old.

Occassionally, I give him scrambled eggs or boiled egg but I've never given him weetabix. I always give him puppy milk from Pets At Home before he goes to sleep which he loves and is fine with his tummy. But I gave him goats milk one night as it was a little cheaper and the next morning, he puked everywhere in his crate. After that, I switched back to PAH puppy milk.

There are alot worse foods out there than Waggs but I wouldn't recommend it. Have a look at the list of recommended dry foods:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:16

Aww I bet you're right excited!

I think I've heard people on here say porridge is better than weetabix? And goats milk ok, I give Saffy a little bit everyday. You could water it down with water if its too rich.

Anyway you can feed your pup on total dry food straight away. She probably won't eat much at first anyway as she will be adjusting. I'd recommend probably something like Wainwrights if you're on a budget. Saffy was weaned on it and others on here say it's pretty good.
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:29

Rachb26 wrote:Aww I bet you're right excited!

I think I've heard people on here say porridge is better than weetabix? And goats milk ok, I give Saffy a little bit everyday. You could water it down with water if its too rich.

Anyway you can feed your pup on total dry food straight away. She probably won't eat much at first anyway as she will be adjusting. I'd recommend probably something like Wainwrights if you're on a budget. Saffy was weaned on it and others on here say it's pretty good.

Zeus is currently on Wainwrights at the moment. I did move him onto Applaws which is much dearer and a better quality food IMO, but he wasn't suited to it. It was too rich for him and he couldnt digest it, hence why hes back on Wainwrights.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:48

A pup should be fully weaned at 8 weeks so you should be able to just feed dog/puppy food.

Avoid Wagg! It's really is a bad food. Skinners field and trial is the best for that kind of price Smile

ETA: I wouldn't give weetabix, it's just wheat and dogs don't get anything from it, it can also cause allergy problems.

You should be feeding whatever the breeder is feeding for a week or two until the pup settles in then gradually change over to the food you want to feed.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 17:00

No, I wouldn't give weetabix either. If you want to give a 'soft' meal then porridge in the morning is ok, preferably made with goats milk instead of cows milk.

Last edited by Caryll on Wed Jul 11 2012, 17:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down