sega's back legs

3 posters

Go down

sega's back legs Empty sega's back legs

Post by jordanb91 Sat Jun 30 2012, 21:58

hi, i have a 9 yr old staffy and the last couple of days he has started ti limp a lil bit on his back legs and is struggling to get up and down the stairs and on/off bed. it's like they are getting lazy. does anyone have any ideas about why this could be happening?

jordanb91
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sega
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

sega's back legs Empty Re: sega's back legs

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 22:25

Could simply be a sign of aging. Is he getting alot of high impact exercise such as running on concrete?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 22:26

Hi & sega's back legs Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

sega's back legs Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
sega's back legs Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
sega's back legs Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
sega's back legs Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
sega's back legs Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
sega's back legs Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
sega's back legs Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by jordanb91 Sat Jun 30 2012, 22:40

he gets walked once a day and has to go on the pavement for about a 3 min walk before he gets to the grass
i was thinking it was his age but im not sure.
when he gets off my bed he drags his back legs off rather than jumping off

jordanb91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 22:49

Suki drags her back legs all the time as well and she isn't even two yet. Have you talked with your vet or looked into a joint supplement yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by jordanb91 Sat Jun 30 2012, 23:19

no havent done anythhing. i thought he might have hit his legs off something when jumping and it needs time to heal.
he has slipped his disc because he ran into a fence in the past and he couldnt move at all.
and all we could do was let it get better on its own

jordanb91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01 2012, 01:13

Hi & welcome.

It could be several things. It could be his age, but he's a little young yet to be struggling from age-related lameness; it could be the start of arthritis; it could be a knock he's received that's bruised his hips; or it could be HD.

I'm afraid the only way you'll find out for sure is by a trip to the vets.

In the meantime you could try some Glucosamine capsules with Chondroitin. That could aid joint mobility.

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyn Mon Aug 20 2012, 16:22

Hi,

I found this post just now because exactly the same thing has happened to my Staffie. His name is Charlie and he will be 9 this October.

On Saturday afternoon for no apparent reason he started dragging his back left leg. He doesn't appear in any discomfort and no amount of poking and prodding will illicit anything other than a lick on the face. It seems as though he is no pain at all but clearly is trying not to put weight on it. Its the strangest thing because he doesn't react at all - as though it's numb. It seemed to improve a bit on Sunday and was slightly better this morning.

I took Charlie to the vet this morning but they just prescribed an anti-inflammatory and said see how he is in a week - I'm worrying this might make it worse.

jordanb91 - did you have any luck with this?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ant

anthonyn

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kandn Wed Aug 22 2012, 10:23

My Nike has a lot of stiffness in her back legs. Since starting her on Sasha's blend powder I have noticed a difference. It doesn't bother her too much. She just takes a little bit of time to get around. Nike still runs and jumps. But sometimes when she's at full speed the back right leg gets pulled up. Nike is also 9. Try a massage, just softly around the muscles paying attention to his reactions. Nike groans in ecstasy and tries get closer and closer when I hit the right spot!
Whatever it is, sudden onset of symptoms always warrants a trip to the vet in my opinion.
Good luck Smile

Kandn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nike
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 23:42

My girl is not even 5 years old but for the last week she has been hobbling around quite a bit and at first I thought she might have just taken a knock but it seems clear now that it isn't improving.

She has always shown signs of being stiff after lying down for a few hours but generally looked normal after a minute or two and a good stretch. Now it's different and at first I thought she was stiff legged at the back but now I think it may be the front as well.

This evening I met another Staffie owner and the dog was ten but sprinting around like a puppy and they said they gave it something called joint powder for dogs, which had helped a great deal so I'm going to pop in the vets tomorrow and give that a test run for a few days to see if it helps.

She still seems happy enough and she doesn't complain but this isn't right, though we took her to the woods the other day and she seemed absolutely fine that time so I am not quite sure what to make of it. Tonight she seemed more like a 14 year old on her walk and she has always been fantastically fit and active in the past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down