playful biting

Go down

playful biting Empty playful biting

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Jun 14 2012, 11:25

i have just been for a quick walk with Buster. He was off lead as there were no other dogs about and I had Lewis with me so I let Buster off so he could have a bit of a run (we have to walk really slow with Lewis)Someone came out of one of the gardens that back onto the field with a dog (that also wasnt on lead) Buster saw the dog come out and I called him, but he just stood there. He then started to turn towards me, but stopped and lay down when he realised the other dog was going over to him. The other dog is a golden retriever (sp?) but it is quite old. I ran over to where Buster was as he can be very bouncy with other dogs. By the time I got there they were sniffing eachother and wagging tails. The other owner also got there about the same time - just as Buster started to get carried away and tried to get him to play, by jumping about and biting. I told Buster no, and put him back on the lead. He didn't hurt the other dog, who didnt seem in the slightest bit bothered by Buster's bounciness, but his owner was going "oh no, no biting, let go" and making quite a bit of fuss. I did apologise, for Buster and said he was only young and a bit boysterouis, but not at all nasty, and she just gave me a dirty look and walked off.

How can I get Buster to calm down? He loves playing rough, and there is a staffy x boxer that he plays with quite often, and they both play rough but neither are ever hurt or draw blood. Buster also plays with my brothers tiny 11 week old jack russell puppy and is gentle and has never hurt him so I know the biting is never nasty, but I also know that people panick when they see a staffy getting rough.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
playful biting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

playful biting Empty Re: playful biting

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 11:28

Other than keeping him on a lead when there are other dogs around, there isn't much you can do.

Maybe the other owner should have thought about not letting her retriever come up to Buster if she's so worried about rough play? Let's face it, two dogs playing (any breed) mouth each other! That's the way they play!

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Jun 14 2012, 11:46

He is normally on his long line, but I dont take him out on that if I have Lewis with me as it becomes very hard work.

I know that is how dogs play, but unfortunatly some people just think because Buster is a staffy he is being aggressive Sad I have seen both the lady and her partner walking the retriever before, and neither ever have him on lead. He wonders around the field and goes up to who ever he wants. This doesn't bother me, he is a friendly, placid dog, but it does bother me when I see him walk up to onlead dogs. I used to have a DA staffy (but not with every dog) and so I kept him onlead, yet people always let their dogs come over. If I see an onlead dog I will always ask if Buster is ok to greet the other dog first, before letting him get close. Anyway, that is off topic as Buster was offlead at the time this happened Blushing I am hoping that at some point Buster will realise that not every dog wants to bounce about and play rough, but I wont hold my breath!
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
playful biting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 11:55

This is a constant bug-bear of mine. angry

Dempsey isn't aggressive, but is very dominant & won't take ny nonsemse. If a dog goes too far or tries to be dominant over him he'll have it! So I keep him away from dogs I don't know (and some that I do know!) & if I have to go near them he goes on a lead.

But do people take any notice? Do they f*ck. Up comes off-lead retriever/spaniel/doberman/heinz57 & the owners make no effort to stop them. I call out, "could you take your dog away, please?" They call out "It's ok, he/she's friendly". I say "Maybe, but mine isn't always" & then all hell lets loose because the stupid person's retriever/spaniel/doberman/heinz57 has tried to hump Dempsey & he's gone berserk!

Then, of course, it's my fault. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and my staff (Bandit) was DA as well - it's a pain, but if other folk will just listen to you, it really isn't a problem, is it? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 15:32

Suki has started to realise when dogs don't want to play and for the most part has given up on barking at them. She will still do it with dogs that do want to play but are just tired.

We never let her on anything other than a short lead unless it's a closed in area or the others dogs around her have handlers that are okay with her play just to be on the safe side

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down