and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate

+4
steve76
maria0077
goldie87
Girly
8 posters

Go down

and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate Empty and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:52

is it just because she's just over 4 months old and going through the naughty adolescent phase? she chewed it once or twice before but nothing major. i think she likes her crate, doesn't seem to have SA but the last few days she's just tearing the pillow in there apart and ripping up the mat.

she is really trying my patience! will the pass or how do i correct it? i'm trying re-directing her chewing if she goes in voluntarily but then starts destroying, but if we're not there, not much we can do. can i spray bitter apple on the spot in the mat or will that make her think the whole crate is spoiled?

ugh. Crying or Very sad it's just something new every day
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate Empty Re: and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:58

add to that problem 2 - peeing on the carpet. no problems for AGES, thought she was pretty much there with housetraining, did everything we were supposed to do with the crate and all of that (except keeping her on the lead when we took her out to pee/poo in the garden). only change in the last couple of days, because she was starting to dig in the garden, was that we are now keeping her on the lead with us, bringing her back in right away, limiting her garden time and only doing training stuff there now and not just keeping the door open for her to come and go.

guess it's back to the drawing board with crate training - but she'll destroy her crate "stuff". guess we have to take everything out of it as well

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate Empty Re: and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:26

That is a hard age. They are going through the teenage phase and teething. Bitter Apple works wonders. Old blankets are great so they won't destroy good bedding. For the nipping just ignore the behaviour or remove them from the room. We all go through it and it seems to be overwhelming but patience and consistancy do pay off in the end

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:36

don't worry.. we too are going through the exact same thing! zeus turned four months old yesterday and he nips quite a bit (probably because hes teething) and he throws his tantrums! just have a look..

before:
and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate 2aag8kp

after:
and now she's tearing apart her pillow/mat in her crate N4h4t1

at wits end

as jstaff said, i think im going to be using some old blankets for bedding now as he simply chews his beds to this point!

ive never tried bitter apple but white vinegar works a treat! i spray it on anything i dont want zeus chewing and he stays away from it!

goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:58

wow goldie! but for the pillow color and the puppy, that after picture looks VERY familiar!! old blankets - good idea. I worried that if we let it go, she would just think that's OK behavior, so wasn't sure if we needed to correct it. so it's really OK to put bitter apple on stuff in her crate?!

I've been trying to give her cold, teething soothing treats and stuff to chew, just gotta hang in there until she's through this phase! she's SO SWEET and adorable and such a friendly little pup, but every now and then she acts like she's possessed >Smile
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:59

Dempsey did the same, and still would if I still used foam bedding! I bought a couple of ex-german army blankets off ebay. They're a little expensive, but quite thick & very strong. So far he hasn't ripped them to shreds!

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:02

ex-German army blankets - check! thanks so much for all of your help everyone!! i probably sound whiny and scared - and i am LOL but i love her to bits and want to bring up a lovely, polite puppy - this is all helping very much

i hope the peeing on the carpet thing is just a one-off.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:05

Sometimes they have little 'accidents' but they become less & less. It's a bit like potty training a toddler - every so often they'll forget & pee their pants! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:13

i suppose so - it's strange how just yesterday and today, boom - accidents. but generally she's pretty good.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:25

Hi,
yes I would not see tearing dog beds apart as a problem, Stella destroyed couple of them now she has an old duvet in an old linen and so far so good Wink
I give her plenty of things to destroy like carton boxes, old balls, fluffy toys (with any hard parts like eyes removed) so she probably satisfies the "destructiove instinct" this way Tongues
I must say I admire how methodical she is when it comes to chewing toys in bits, it's amazing to watch her Love Struck
And she has not chewed anything else in the flat, just her toys and beds, which is what I was hoping for Cool
Stella is turning 1 year now.
Good Luck and don't despair, it'll get better but certain things such as fluffy beds and fluffy toys are probably too irresistable for them to leave them in one piece Love Struck
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Jun 01 2012, 13:28

giving her a box to tear apart is a good idea - i bet she would have a blast!! she's such a cutie pie, i just want her to be happy x
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Fri Jun 01 2012, 22:46

marley still does it, we only use our old bedding or stuff from charity shops as his bedding, it's not worth spending too much as it never lasts too long
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 22:53

Nope my two still destroy their beds in their crate and mine are alot older then yours, it's just a dog thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Jun 01 2012, 23:26

Totally norm. Like everyone else says. Old towels and/or blankets works wonders. Mine go crazy for boxes. They absolutely love it, but it is a bit of work to clean up. Laughing
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sat Jun 02 2012, 17:04

We have a few old polartec blankets, Callie loves them and easy to wash. We put one on the couch when we want her to know it's OK to come up and sit with us. I hadn't even consider getting Miss Jaws a bed Smile

She loves to destroy cardboard too...are you guys worried about your dogs eating pieces of it though? Maybe I could watch and see...because she will eat ANYTHING.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Sun Jun 03 2012, 03:48

I worry too, but she mostly just tore a shoe box to bits. Messy, but stopped her shredding the pillows in her crate lol
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:46

roxi's 4 and we gave up on beds in her crate, we got tiled carpet instead! she's not in there for long periods though so her main bed is inour living room and she doesn't attempt to chew that. With weeing on carpet roxi had accidents but not had one since she was around 11 months old, she still dribbles when over excited though!! I wouldn't mind but everytime i try tell her off she gives me a sorry look and a crumble which made the whole training process 10x more difficult on me haha! good luck x
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:37

that's a good point Gemma - she won't be using the crate forever, hopefully just until fully potty trained and at bed/nap time.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Tue Jun 05 2012, 19:01

Sophie has destroyed 5 beds so we use an old blanket (charity shop £5) and a quilted matress topper (charity shop £1.50).
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 19:25

If your dog isn't in a crate then these dog beds solve the chewing problem straight away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolaroo-Raised-Dog-Bed-Med-/280825949062?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item416287eb86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down