hi all i dont know if this is in the right place

2 posters

Go down

hi all i dont know if this is in the right place Empty hi all i dont know if this is in the right place

Post by Stuart.D Fri May 25 2012, 21:58

Hi all i dont know if this is in the right place but can someone share some advice on geting a old dog use to a pupy please Smile

I am geting a pupy staffordshire bull terrier next week and he will be 8 weeks old when i get him and i can't wait but we all ready have my dads dog called Buster who is a staff corss german shepherd he is round about 13years old now but still acts like a little puppy

He is ok with dogs but don't like them when they're loud or when thay sniff his bum or jump on him is there any way i can get him use to my pupy without having to worrying ?
Stuart.D
Stuart.D
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shadow
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

hi all i dont know if this is in the right place Empty Re: hi all i dont know if this is in the right place

Post by Ben Fri May 25 2012, 22:08

Well, you are going to have to be patient with him but honeslty most older dogs and puppies can learn the ropes. I have never been in quite those shoes, but each time I introduced a dog into my pack, I did it slowly and gave them ample options to be alone as well. Take it slow, the older will teach the younger what isn't ok with him. You do have to watch carefully though and you will know when they are safe together. Some other members have done it with older dogs+ puppies so perhaps one of them will be able to help you out!
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

hi all i dont know if this is in the right place Empty Re: hi all i dont know if this is in the right place

Post by Ben Fri May 25 2012, 22:09

Steve wrote:2 males if you go out for a lojng time i would leave them alone.

I think wouldn't leave them alone together is what is meant here. I agree. Crate the puppy and you will be much less likely to have problems.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25 2012, 22:12

as above , you have to give them time , crating for the pup , and I think most importantly the old boy has to have his space and carry on as normal, pup must fit in with his routine or he may feel threatened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart.D Fri May 25 2012, 22:21

thank you all Smile
and i know it will take time ill try and keep you all updated Big Grin
Stuart.D
Stuart.D

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart.D Sat Jun 02 2012, 03:42

updating on Buster and Shadow Smile

good news about Buster he gets on well with Shadow even though i don't quite think he knows what shadow is by the look Buster gives him every time he goes near him lol

Now all i got to do is get Shadow to stop chasing him so much lol
Stuart.D
Stuart.D

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 03:46

Buster should be a great assest in training Shadow as long as they are supervised when together. Pleased to hear things are going well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Jun 02 2012, 04:25

Great update.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 05:42

glad to see that things are going okay !
My Jethro is almost 13 now and we got Winston as a 6 week puppy ( he is 14 months old now )...The main things I have done is to always have a quiet spot that Jethro can go to get away from Winston..( in our case it is our bedroom where Jethro's bed is...out of bounds for Winston! ) we always supervise them when they are playing and rolling around as it is just too easy for Winston to really hurt Jethro accidentally..as Jethro is so puny now...and we never ever leave them alone together when we aren't home...Was talking to someone at the vets a while back and their young staffy jumped on their old staffys back while playing when they weren't home ..and broke the old staffys back and they came home to that...! How devastating !

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart.D Sat Jun 02 2012, 22:36

thanx all for advice Smile
Stuart.D
Stuart.D

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down