Walkies :D how you do it.

5 posters

Go down

Walkies :D how you do it. Empty Walkies :D how you do it.

Post by Taryn Tue May 22 2012, 11:11

I have tried sooo many different methods of walking Romeo. Normal Nylon Collars, Leather Collars, Semi-Check Collars, Check Collars, Head Collars and Harnesses. And so far the one's he likes best are normal Collars and the harness. For most of Romeo's life he has had a normal collar, although when he was a wee baby he had a little harness... it was so tiny Big Grin
Now that he is bigger and older.... meaning stronger when i walk with him, he walks like a little angel, but when we walk with another dog, this is not by a strange dog, but walking WITH a dog he knows, he tends to act a fool, bouncing and just being an idiot wanting to play with them while we walk. Often i could se him chocking himself on his collar and i felt so bad about it, because he really is a doll, but... an idiot when in a group... you know, numbers breed stupidity Laughing
So i tried all sorts of things. the Check didnt work, he would litterly pull and hang himself until he almost passed out, even when i had some one who knew what they were doing with the check try and work with him, nothing happened. the head collar he FREAKED out about. Scratched at it tossed his head and would plant his face on the ground and try and rub it off. The normal leather collar he has, his show collar he is fine with, but like i said, be tends to get silly, especially with Matilda (black and brindle 5yr old staff) So, we tried the harness. and while he is still a *, he is so much more manageable and i feel so much more at peace with it on him since he doesnt hang himself anymore Big Grin
and he likes it, so Bliss.

What about you guys, what is the best method you have found works for your dogs?
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Walkies :D how you do it. Empty Re: Walkies :D how you do it.

Post by bobs Tue May 22 2012, 11:18

Like you we have tried all sorts. We can't use a harness though that is how she walks well, as one time, thankfully we were just indoors and she somehow went backwards and took it off like a jumper Sad Should she try this strategy whilst we were out, we wouldn't get her back.

She walks beautifully with her pretty pink coat on, no idea why. Perhaps the strap at the front inhibits her slightly, either that or she just says to herself, aren't I gorgeous, look at me. Big Grin

The latest thing we are working with is making her carry a 'valuable' toy. She has three 'special' toys, a rubber bone, a squeaky thing and a ropey thing. She is not allowed them at any other time and they are exchanged at the front door for a treat, at the moment a piece of chicken.

Whilst it doesn't stoph her pulling, it is stopping her lunging and also whilst she is carrying something she is not scavenging off the pavements or grabbing at bushes or berries Laughing
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue May 22 2012, 11:21

Moo isn't a puller so we just have a lovely handmade collar Big Grin and lead.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 11:44

We use a harness and a half check collar. The harness is the primary option but if we need control of her head we use a collar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 13:50

have you tried a head halti,

they are supposed to be evry good

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 15:35

Harv is walked on a harness and Chance has his dogmatic headcollar if we are pavement walking

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue May 22 2012, 19:43

lynne wrote:have you tried a head halti,

Smile

I did thats what i mean by head collar, thats the one he had a break down about Laughing
Romeo isnt a puller. and i run, so its much nicer with him on the harness. Romeo is more of a ... stopper. he will just stop dead for no reason. when he see's other dogs he just stops. he is clearly not afraid but i have to drag him on past.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue May 22 2012, 22:09

Romeo wrote:

Smile

I did thats what i mean by head collar, thats the one he had a break down about Laughing
Romeo isnt a puller. and i run, so its much nicer with him on the harness. Romeo is more of a ... stopper. he will just stop dead for no reason. when he see's other dogs he just stops. he is clearly not afraid but i have to drag him on past.

I had the same response with Monte and the head collar. However, I went back to it as walking 3 at a time is a right nightmare when they are pulling. I have endured his antics with the head collar and he is finally getting over it but I have to stear clear of grass or he goes ballistic trying to get it off. He also went on strike for a couple weeks at first and wouldn't walk, but he now seems to be over it and is getting used to the thing even if he does give sad eyes when I put it on him. I am convinced it is probably the only way I can walk all mine at once. You have to get through the tantrum stage.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 23:58

Romeo wrote:

Smile

Suki is a stopper as well. Gets right painfull if you are going very fast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed May 23 2012, 09:30

oh i know jstaff, he nearlly ripps my shoulder out of the socket while i'm running!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 09:49

Tyson walks brilliantly now but I had a time of it with him pulling in the early days. Used a Halti for about 4 weeks and use a semi check collar now but it is not necessary so I am looking to fit a normal collar soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed May 23 2012, 20:25

I have had alot of people tell me that the harness will encourage him to pull. but Romeo has never really been a puller... he just stops alot. but i have noticed that he will act up and be a hassle if some one besides me walks him, he knows how's the boss Big Grin
but the harness is working great for me, romeo. we have had it .. what 3 days and he already comes and steps into it for me Love Struck
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu May 24 2012, 22:47

i'm lucky in that i now live in the back end of nowhere, so its very rare that i have to leash her up, but from living in the city she knows how to walk on lead, and as soon as i pull the lead out of my pocket she's there ready for it to be clipped on.

i used to have to walk her and an older weimeraner, and it was 95% lead walking so i used a harness as the lead would rub her neck. if either dog pulled, that lead would get a quick tug, i'd stop walking and both would get the "heel" command, and after they had stopped the walk would continue. much easier to get Lola to stop pulling with a harness i found
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sat May 26 2012, 12:09

lucky for me i live near a forrest too and romeo can run free, but in the city... noooo i live in the capital of my country
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 20:03

all three are walked on slip collars/leads.

I find using these best because if they get destracted by another dog a check into place and they carry on, stan use too stop but since using the slip he dosnt. tara use too be a steem train and was a nightmare when she first moved in as soon as i started using the slip shes so much better thats what i have found with my 3 anyway. Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sun May 27 2012, 17:51

Romeo fights check chains like crazy. he with either stop dead or try and hang himself with him. normal collars and harnesses are about the only way i get around it
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 18:04

The last couple of weeks I've been using a head halti with Bella. She will paw at it occasionally and rubs her face on the grass but if I tell her to leave then she will. She's getting a lot better with it. It makes life a bit easier when I'm walking the 2 dogs. Before if they decided they were going somewhere then I had to follow Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down