Bad press putting you off another staff?

+6
micheled
Deebee
Ben
dave g
stella
Steve
10 posters

Go down

Bad press putting you off another staff? Empty Bad press putting you off another staff?

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 13:40

SO much bad press. I have to admit i don't think i will get another stafford due to it, but not because i am fearful of them. They are the best dogs in my opinion. But because i am fearful that when they eventually ban them (gets closer every day) it would be taken away and murdered. I could not handle that at all. however if they finally pull the large sticks out of their bums and introduce some hard laws about ALL dogs (i.e. always on a leash apart from designated areas) i would definitely consider another one.

Back to top Go down

Bad press putting you off another staff? Empty Re: Bad press putting you off another staff?

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 13:44

I wouldn't consider a different dog after Tilly and more because of the bad press, and there's going to be some fighting if anybody ever tries to take her away from me

Back to top Go down

Bad press putting you off another staff? Empty Re: Bad press putting you off another staff?

Post by Steve Mon May 21 2012, 13:48

don't matter if they get banned i will always have staffy

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 14:03

Steve wrote:don't matter if they get banned i will always have staffy
rock on! rock on! rock on!
We'd have to form an underground resistance to the government and live in the sewers ..............cool day dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 14:05

I didn't get a staff this time for two reasons; one, my oh didn't want a reminder of our last dog - they were so close, and two, the staffs around here are mainly owned by idiots & chavs & I just didn't want to be associated with that.

I don't give a fig about the bad press & I doubt that they'll ban the staff.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon May 21 2012, 14:17

would never put me off getting another staffy,and god help any one that tried taking my girl away from me,what our breed needs is some good press for a change,more famous celebs needed to give some positive press,i know paul o grady speaks well of them as he has a couple Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 14:36

Really do need more good press, i loved the fact they did the agility at crufts. Someone needs to get a puppy and train it to win BGT ! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 18:29

I would definitely have an other Staff in the future. Bad press doesn't bother me in the least. I adore Saxon and every other Staff I've met and internet-met. Also, BSL is losing in the US. Several areas have repealed their BSL in recent years and I think they will continue to do so. I will always have a Stafford or other bully breed in my life. I don't care what anyone thinks of me and my dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Mon May 21 2012, 18:37

If they ban the breed they are not going to take your dog off you and put it down, all the ban will do is stop future breeding...
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon May 21 2012, 18:43

I am over the bad press here. People still cross the road, turn and walk the other way etc, but my doggies are fantastic and I am learning to just ignore other people. Like Cat says, it is actually losing ground here, and maybe Europe will follow!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 18:52

Hope so, I would definitely get another one

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Mon May 21 2012, 19:08

I'm not a Staffie owner (yet!) but I was worried about getting one incase they got banned and taken away. When I went to the rescue home I mentioned it to he guy who was helping us. He said they speak to government ministers and he government know that bsl doesn't work. He did put my mind at ease and I am still v keen on my new dog being a Staffie. Smile
I do think I might have to develop a thicker-skin when I get the Staffie. I already get horrible looks and stupid comments when I walk my Boxer.

Deebee
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years & 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 19:19

I'll always own staffie ban or not no talking
and god help anyone that tries to take my guys from me, infact it'l be me they have to PTS to get them angry

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Mon May 21 2012, 19:42

I agree with Catstina that public opinion here is moving against BSL. Here's a nice article about the reaction to the recent BSL-type court ruling here in MD (which hopefully will soon be overturned). I was happy to wake up and see this--my husband left it out for me this AM.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/advocates-parade-in-support-of-pit-bulls/2012/05/20/gIQAYpzFeU_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop&sub=AR

It's about pit bulls, but here in MD Staffies are considered pits. Positive article in either case.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon May 21 2012, 19:46

micheled wrote:I agree with Catstina that public opinion here is moving against BSL. Here's a nice article about the reaction to the recent BSL-type court ruling here in MD (which hopefully will soon be overturned). I was happy to wake up and see this--my husband left it out for me this AM.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/advocates-parade-in-support-of-pit-bulls/2012/05/20/gIQAYpzFeU_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop&sub=AR

It's about pit bulls, but here in MD Staffies are considered pits. Positive article in either case.

Great article. Weird how they use pit bulls as a type instead of referring to the APBT, but even my bulldog was often mistaken by people as a pit. Thanks for sharing this!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Mon May 21 2012, 20:12

Great article. Weird how they use pit bulls as a type instead of referring to the APBT, but even my bulldog was often mistaken by people as a pit. Thanks for sharing this![/quote]

I think it's a Maryland legislation thing. From what I understand the "pit bull ban" passed in PG County years ago referred specifically to APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffords. So I guess anything else in Maryland will follow that precedent. It does look like the dogs "on parade" were mostly APBTs, don't know how many Staffs..but hey, I'm supporting them all.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Mon May 21 2012, 20:23

i was always wary of Staffy's, due to bad press and never knowing one (and also an incident of watching a stray Staff take someones top lip and part tongue in one go, but thats another story for another time...) but after meeting one of my friends and seeing how soft and loving it could be, i decided to give them a chance. i got to know two others, who eventually had a litter between them, and i ended up with Lola (almost spitting image of her mother)

i can honestly say i would struggle to recommend another dog to anyone, and rules or not, i would never allow Lola to be taken from me. i'd just re-register her as a cat or something...
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 20:53

Lol size of some of the cats ive seen lately you would have no problem doing that!

Back to top Go down

Post by J_NOLAN Mon May 21 2012, 22:01

no body will every take my dogs away from me they are like my kids lol i love them both to bits and it irritates me that they get bad publicity but we all know how loving and family freindly they are soo stuff the rest off the idiots who beleive the rubbish about them. they need some body to show how loving the staff breed is but how doo we doo this ??
J_NOLAN
J_NOLAN
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : TYSON, BUSTER
Dog(s) Ages : 5month, 9years
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 23:39

bbimson wrote:Great article. Weird how they use pit bulls as a type instead of referring to the APBT, but even my bulldog was often mistaken by people as a pit. Thanks for sharing this!
In the US, the term "pit bull" is increasingly being used by legislators and (misguided) advocates alike to refer to any dog with a blocky head and short hair. The Animal Farm Foundation, Bad Rap, Love-A-Bull, Positive Pit Bull and several other "pit bull advocacy" groups no longer actually advocate for or care about American Pit Bull Terriers. Here's AFF's "Company Overview": "We currently dedicate our resources to securing equal treatment and opportunity for "pit bull" dogs... "Pit bull" is not a breed or breed mix, but an ever expanding group that includes whatever an animal control officer, shelter worker, dog trainer, politician, dog owner, police officer or newspaper says it is." They literally say in there company overview that a "pit bull" is any dog that someone calls a "pit bull." I don't know why, but many advocacy groups in the US are going that route. That is one of the many reasons that I like the group The REAL Pit Bull, Inc. They actually advocate for Pit Bulls, not "pit bulls."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 23:57

Bad press putting you off another staff? 62816513_2-2-CKC-Chihuahua-Puppies-HamiltonIn that case i wish to call this a pit bull.

Rolling Eyes people these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 00:33

I never let the media influence my decision over anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue May 22 2012, 03:06

Equi wrote:Bad press putting you off another staff? 62816513_2-2-CKC-Chihuahua-Puppies-HamiltonIn that case i wish to call this a pit bull.

Rolling Eyes people these days.

Is that one of them mini pits? Laughing
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 10:00

Thank goodness we dont have BSL here (At least I dont think so) and the breed predjudice is not at all intrenched. Staffies are the third most popular breed here and I would say German shepherds and Rotties have much more of a bad rep here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 20:17

bbimson wrote:Is that one of them mini pits? Laughing
They call them "pocket pits." Rolling Eyes Here is Bad Rap's version of a "pocket pit" At 20lbs, the dog is clearly a Frenchie, Chihuahua, or Boston Terrier mix, but these days it's a "pit bull."
Bad press putting you off another staff? 529321_10150707743542399_21764607398_9879187_1254205648_n
Bad press putting you off another staff? 402693_10150548823132399_21764607398_9329388_64327734_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed May 23 2012, 15:58

Staffies are known to be 'chav dogs' around my ends due to the idiots that have them, though it is not everyone of them of course.

However, I always had my eye on a Staffie and don't give a dam what people think, Troy is great and I love him. If people think I'm a chav for owning a Staffie then thats their problem.

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Wed May 23 2012, 17:24

Equi wrote:SO much bad press. I have to admit i don't think i will get another stafford due to it, but not because i am fearful of them. They are the best dogs in my opinion. But because i am fearful that when they eventually ban them (gets closer every day) it would be taken away and murdered. I could not handle that at all. however if they finally pull the large sticks out of their bums and introduce some hard laws about ALL dogs (i.e. always on a leash apart from designated areas) i would definitely consider another one.

The only one getting murdered would be the person trying to take my dog ,id go down fighting,obviously it wont come to that, but thats my thoughts on the matter as im looking at her curled up beside me on the sofa having a bit of shut eye,so cute she aint going anywhere.
eskidavies
eskidavies
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down