Sad story

3 posters

Go down

Sad story Empty Sad story

Post by whmon Fri Dec 17 2010, 21:05

Last May we had a holiday in Curacao (Caribbean - just off the coast of Venezuela) On the way to the hotel I saw 3 dead dogs by the side of the road in separate locations, they didn't appear to be roadkill. Later, I spoke to a Dutch resident (It's a Dutch Island with many ex-pats) I asked about the dead dogs. He said there are dead dogs all over Curacao. He said that unfortunately, dogs in Curacao are just something for people to kick. I asked if there were any rescue centres and he told me that there were, but that they were overwhelmed.

First or second day into the holiday we saw a dog in the city in a state I have never seen before. She was all ribs and pelvis with teats down to her knees and covered with established ticks. Her back legs were constantly scratching her belly.

We had a coffee, then took the biscuits we got with them and went to find her. I tried to offer the biscuits but then had to throw them infront of her. Even then she wouldn't take them. She looked so nervous when the biscuits were on the ground infront of her, she wanted them but was worried incase it was a trick. She danced around infront of the biscuits but didn't take them until we were safely away down the street, she watched us all the way for a long time before she took them. By the time we left Curacao she was eating out of my hand.

Every day I went to find her and fed her sausages and steak, I named her Suzie. She always had a look in her eyes that still haunts me. Those eyes...if they were human they would be crying. You could see in those eyes that she had never known love, or the concept of play. Her whole existance was about trying to alleviate her misery.

Why I hadn't thought about it before I don't know - but I've just googled dog shelters in Curacao today. I've told them were she lived (under cars in the carpark by the seafront in Willemstad) what she looks like (maybe cross lab or cross pitbull - difficult to tell with that amount of starvation), and I've asked them if they will go and look for her. If they find her I can pay for her food and treatment. Wish me luck!

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad story Empty Re: Sad story

Post by janey Fri Dec 17 2010, 21:09

Well that sure bought a tear to the eye. Sounds awfull, so sad but with a twist of happiness at the end. Good luck to you and Suzie.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Sad story Empty Re: Sad story