Eleltrice shock

3 posters

Go down

Eleltrice shock Empty Eleltrice shock

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 19:21

Omg, kenny just had an electic shock. It was only a small one. He bit into a wire and yelped, then carried on playing!!! We keeping an eye on him. He's been in the wars today Sad . Cut his paw, now r shock. Sad

Back to top Go down

Eleltrice shock Empty Re: Eleltrice shock

Post by Steve Sat Apr 28 2012, 19:23

Sad poor kenny

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Apr 28 2012, 19:24

awwh poor baby! hope hes better soon Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 19:36

Might be a stupid question but is it worth speaking to a Vet. When a human suffers from electric shock they should always go to the doctor / hospital and get checked out due to risk of ventricular fibrilation, its a possibility that your heart can be beating sort of out of sync ??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventricular_fibrillation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 20:25

If it's just a quick, light shock a dog's body can stand it - they're tougher than we are!

I'd keep an eye on him & if he seems out of sorts/breathless/in distress then take him to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 02:09

Hope he is okay and do keep a close eye on him

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Apr 29 2012, 02:46

Probably fine if it was a smaller voltage like a regular power cable. If it was 210 or something it might be crazy, but at least here wires are rated and rarely carry more than 60 amps or so.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 08:37

yes, we got him checked, he's fine, but very lucky. We were told to keep an eye out for any neuro problems, like twitchy eye's/movements. I could'nt update you all last night, i was to concerned, but yes, he's fine xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 08:40

It was the cable going into the t.v. Luckly he didnt bite straight through. He's just broken the seal and touched the copper. It was the most frighting thing ever. And the tv still works. My hous looks a right mess, lol, we've blocked off all ways to the tv. We need to change the stand, because he keeps trying to lay on it with his ball Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 09:02

bbimson wrote:Probably fine if it was a smaller voltage like a regular power cable. If it was 210 or something it might be crazy, but at least here wires are rated and rarely carry more than 60 amps or so.

You have to be very careful with electricity , it's not the voltage , it's the current that kills and the length of time the body is exposed to it ,and the danger depends on the path through your body that it takes (sorry it's my background) , never ever assume that a low voltage is safe , your mains are 110V in the US @ 60hz so it's still more than enough to do the damage (we run at 220V 50hz which is potentially more lethal). The body has to have an entry and an exit point (power source and ground) so if for example you bridged it with 2 fingers on the same hand , it would hurt but not travel on a critical path (contained to your hand) if say you touched a live with one hand and a radiator (ground source) with the other hand then that travels straight through your body and across your heart. But for all cases , certainly in humans , any kind of shock should always be checked out due to the risk of Ventricular Fibrilation

100-200mA (0.1 - 0.2A) is the danger current level where it can prove lethal - but all testing and research are based around the human body
bit of bedtime reading for you Smile
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Don't mean to scare you and I dare say now he's done it once he's learnt that it's better not to do it again

@ Kenny D when you say the cable to the TV do you mean the mains cable @ 220V or the satellite or aerial cable ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 09:11

mains cable x it was very quick and he was'nt stuck on the wire. It worried me all night, the vet said he was very lucky,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 09:21

kenny d wrote:mains cable x it was very quick and he was'nt stuck on the wire. It worried me all night, the vet said he was very lucky,

Like I say pleased he's ok but too many people think that "low voltages" are safe (mains is classed as low voltage by electrical standards but it is a very loose term). In theory it is possible to die from a 24V shock, it really depends on circumstances. We weren't educated so heavily on this kind of thing when I was an apprentice (obviously we were taught to work safely but the research and data was not so readily available )and to be honest you tend to get a bit overconfident when you do it for a job, the real eye opener for me is in my present job I do Health and Safety at work presentations and much more research to educate employees. Up until last year when I came out of service I regularly worked with everything from 5V circuits up to 10,000V circuits and you tend to get a bit more respect. Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 09:35

Just a bit of extra info on voltages commonly found around the home

All mains standard domestic appliances in the UK 220v 50hz (so mostly 110V 60hz in US though it can be common for 220V single and 3 phase power to be found in home workshops in the US , garages etc, very rare in the UK and we run 415V 3 phase as standard in industrial applications)
Telephone lines 50V
LNB cables (satellite) up to 18V
Coax (TV antenna cables) in the range of mV unless being run through a signal booster or possibly higher if you have TV fault.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:15

I'm glad Kenny is ok, that must have hurt. I got a shock from the wire in a ceiling light fitting once, felt like I'd been punched. Poor guy had a rough day yesterday >Big Grin< Hopefully he'll know not to go near them again

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 11:30

thanks guys x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 12:20

glad he is ok >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 12:54

kaos did this on my oil filled ratiator and blew the fuses lol he was fine x

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Apr 29 2012, 14:44

davemck3834 wrote:
bbimson wrote:Probably fine if it was a smaller voltage like a regular power cable. If it was 210 or something it might be crazy, but at least here wires are rated and rarely carry more than 60 amps or so.

You have to be very careful with electricity , it's not the voltage , it's the current that kills and the length of time the body is exposed to it ,and the danger depends on the path through your body that it takes (sorry it's my background) , never ever assume that a low voltage is safe , your mains are 110V in the US @ 60hz so it's still more than enough to do the damage (we run at 220V 50hz which is potentially more lethal). The body has to have an entry and an exit point (power source and ground) so if for example you bridged it with 2 fingers on the same hand , it would hurt but not travel on a critical path (contained to your hand) if say you touched a live with one hand and a radiator (ground source) with the other hand then that travels straight through your body and across your heart. But for all cases , certainly in humans , any kind of shock should always be checked out due to the risk of Ventricular Fibrilation

100-200mA (0.1 - 0.2A) is the danger current level where it can prove lethal - but all testing and research are based around the human body
bit of bedtime reading for you Smile
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Don't mean to scare you and I dare say now he's done it once he's learnt that it's better not to do it again

@ Kenny D when you say the cable to the TV do you mean the mains cable @ 220V or the satellite or aerial cable ??

Good stuff. I only know enough to get in trouble. I wouldn't want to get hit with any, and even thought 110 is dangerous, I'm glad I don't have too many 220 hanging about. My house only has three of those (drier, oven, spa).
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 22:09

At work one time this huge and really aggressive st bernard was entrusted to me cause i'm stupidly fearless with dogs. I would walk him everyday and the like. Then one day he was sniffing about and was walking into the eletric fence and i was trying with all my power to drag him away but it was impossible and he got shocked and ever since that was TERRIFIED of me and couldn't get walked the rest of the time he was there bless him. i felt so bad cause i actually liked him and he was terrified of me and would cower in the corner and try to hide from me hahaa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30 2012, 00:51

Equi wrote:At work one time this huge and really aggressive st bernard was entrusted to me cause i'm stupidly fearless with dogs. I would walk him everyday and the like. Then one day he was sniffing about and was walking into the eletric fence and i was trying with all my power to drag him away but it was impossible and he got shocked and ever since that was TERRIFIED of me and couldn't get walked the rest of the time he was there bless him. i felt so bad cause i actually liked him and he was terrified of me and would cower in the corner and try to hide from me hahaa

Awwww, you're evil! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30 2012, 16:38

I know!!!! lol

poor big dope, i don't think it could hear. I had to go in all geared up on the last day of his visit to get him a bath he enjoyed that i think. He was incredibly happy to see his owner. I said nothing hahah

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14 2012, 15:50

Update, Kennys been his usual self, but noticed he pants more after excercise. The vet as found he as an irregular heart rhyme. He's having an ecg on wednesday. Im terrifed of what they'll say. She said it sounds slight, but have to qwait and see. Sad I just hope he's ok x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down