Tales from the riverbank

3 posters

Go down

Tales from the riverbank Empty Tales from the riverbank

Post by jshrew Fri Apr 13 2012, 20:04

Well my boy is feeling rather sorry for himself after giving me a bit of a scare.

In the park at the back of us is a stream which is home to a family of nesting rats and we often stop and watch them swimming and darting along the opposite bank. Well this afternoon Ledger had ventured to his 'toilet spot' on the edge of the bank and obviously spotted a rat below him, I called 'enough and come' but tail wagging he edged forward before slipping and dropping just a couple of foot into the shallow water, he scrambled out then just sat shaking and holding up his left paw looking at me with those puppy dog eyes

He wouldn't stand so I checked all his legs to see if he reacted to any discomfort, nothing, still wouldn't stand so I checked again, nothing and still holding up his left paw I was contemplating how I would manage to carry him all the way home! So I went to the bank to see if I could see anything in the water that he might have fallen onto and there it was a large bush of nettles! Back to him again and I could see some small hives starting to come up on his back legs an 'aw baby' a cuddle and a biscuit later he trotted off along the path as if nothing had happened!

Had a better look when we got home and bless he is all lumpy on his legs and tail and is clearly out of sorts but it doesn't seem to be causing him too much discomfort and seems to be subsiding he is now sleeping soundly cuddled upto me on the sofa

Got me thinking I need to really get round to setting up a doggy first aid kit and get some anti allergy stuff as he is showing alot of interest in trying to catch bumble bees so I figure its only a matter of time til he gets stung
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Tales from the riverbank Empty Re: Tales from the riverbank

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 20:11

Aw ledger big hugs from me, piraton is a good thing to have for stings and bites
>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 13 2012, 20:16

Mines a loony down the river and in the woods! I'm so glad either we don't have nettles or that she doesn't respond to stings.

I do mean to get some piriton though, just to have on hand Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Apr 13 2012, 20:25

Yeah I remembered the piriton thing afterwards but the store I checked only had piriteeze. Must make a point of going to a decent pharmacy tomorrow and get some supplies
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 13 2012, 20:42

Antihistamines are a very handy thing to have in your first aid kit. Piriton is the one you want thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down