UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post.....

+4
Kathy
Steve
janey
hollymolly
8 posters

Go down

UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post..... Empty UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post.....

Post by hollymolly Thu Apr 12 2012, 16:25

As some of you will know i recently asked if any one else had experienced a spayed bitch being very swollen behind...

I have had a second opinion on why her bits are always big (swollen)... and it seems that possibly Inca was showing slight signs of either a false pregnancy or was already coming into season when they opened her up to spay her and decided to spay her whilst she was opened up but it also means that she could possibly now have a hormonal inbalance and she could be in a state of permanent false pregnancy. The vet said she could be put on hormonal meds but they might not overpower her hormones in the long run..

He said things like phantom pregnancys can sometimes be a behavioural problem... She does sometimes try to make a nest out of the cushions on the couch and loves her bed to be full of fluffy toys (she has done this ever since her bits started to get swell at approx 8 mnths old) ..

But i am worried that he also added that he hoped it isn't enough of an issue to cause her major health problems confused .. I know i should have asked there an then about WHAT major health problems might she encounter !!

They have asked me if i want to put her on 'hormonal' meds but as she is a happy go lucky dog with a good appetite and not stressin in any way or hurtin or in pain .. I'm not sure what the best thing to do is ..would the meds mess about with her skin/coat worries that we have gotten on top of !!...

Don't know what to do ... nail biting nail biting nail biting
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post..... Empty Re: UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post.....

Post by janey Thu Apr 12 2012, 16:57

If I was in your shoes (and I have never experienced this with either of my girls) I would be inclined to leave her how she is, I'm not a fan of giving meds unless it is 100% needed.

What are the health risks? You could always phone and ask and just talk it over. Please try not to worry, I know its not happened to me and thats easier said than done >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post..... Empty Re: UPDATE... From Slightly Curious Post.....

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:31

I'm torn I would suggest leaving her alone because she is happy healthy and i wouldn't want to give my dogs chemicals if i do not have too, (are they chemicals as a such?) but mentally she is not happy or healthy constantly being in a state of pregnancy/welping(collecting things) its a very stress full time for bitchs during pregnancy and welping, but like you said this has not affected her in a way she has shown obsession/aggression/confusion/depression, so maybe leave her alone until something does arise, but then maybe it'll be too late, Or you could do a trail with the hormones if it does start affecting her in the wrong way then stop them with vets advice of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:36

I would make the vets paid for the med! that is poor Surprised i would report thatvet to someone it could cost £££££ Surprised

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:43

I totally agree with Steve comments above. The vet should be reported to the RCVS link below:

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/home/
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:43

I am truely sorry that you are having to go through this! I would complain to the original vet as well. So sorry for you and Inca. However, you have to move forward and think of what you can do to make it as good as it can be. >Big Grin<
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Thu Apr 12 2012, 19:58

I do not understand what you have been told, does not make sense from the physiology point of view. Spaying involves removal of uterus and ovaries unless something else has been done. The body thus no longer produces female sex hormones. There will thus be a lack of these just like in a human female after the menopause. Why has imbalance been mentioned to you, are they suggesting HRT for your dog? The second opinion vet needs to clarify this and the first vet should have explained what exactly they found during the operation. Then decide if you want to report him/her. Let us know what they say.
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 12 2012, 20:01

you cant spade a female dog if he coming on season or if the female do is having false pregnancy, im not a vet i know that..

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Thu Apr 12 2012, 20:33

Really feel for you and poor inca, like others have said though it's been done now so just try to get the best information you can now and do what you think is right for her, if she's not in pain and seems happy then I wouldn't bother with meds right now.
I would also report the first vet - what they've done is appalling
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:07

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd leave her alone unless you feel that she's suffering.

8pawprints wrote:I do not understand what you have been told, does not make sense from the physiology point of view. Spaying involves removal of uterus and ovaries unless something else has been done. The body thus no longer produces female sex hormones. There will thus be a lack of these just like in a human female after the menopause. Why has imbalance been mentioned to you, are they suggesting HRT for your dog? The second opinion vet needs to clarify this and the first vet should have explained what exactly they found during the operation. Then decide if you want to report him/her. Let us know what they say.

I echo that. I don't understand why she is swollen - it doesn't look like her vulva that is swollen, but the skin around it - I may well be wrong about that, though. To me, it just doesn't make sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diwrnach Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:37

Cant help with the swelling or anything like that I'm afraid, but I do know that when i was young my Dads rottweiler kept having phantom pregnancies and had a toy that she thought was her puppy basically. She was put on the hormone meds, which did sort her out, only problem was her weight ballooned, she ended up really quite fat due to the meds.

Diwrnach
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 23:37

My dog had a phantom preggo once and she went quite mental. She was a labxcollie and was very placid but timid, but she went totally shy and very scared of anyone and wouldn't allow anyone but us to go near her "den"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down