stella
micheled
janey
Lola
8 posters

Go down

Spaying my dog Empty Spaying my dog

Post by Lola Wed Apr 04 2012, 22:16

Can anyone please tell me the pros and cons of getting my dog spayed. I was going to breed her once but after reading lots of topics on it I have decided not to do it as I dont want to lose my girl on a operating table.

Does anyone know how I go about it such as what care will she need after, will I have to take time of work or would she rather be left alone, how much does it cost and how can I trust the vet that he/she will do a good job and not just after my money. Sorry if i'm sounding stupid I just want to cover all the angle and that I will be doing the right thing for her.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Lola
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Spaying my dog Empty Re: Spaying my dog

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 22:19

How old is she?

This might be worth a read...

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

and...

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/neutering_definitive.shtml

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola Wed Apr 04 2012, 22:22

She is 6 months old thank you for the links I'll take a good look

Lola

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 22:24

There are so many different opinions on neutering. My own dogs are never neutered, but I'm not against neutering as such - it just isn't for me.

I would advise, though, that you wait until your bitch is fully mature before she is spayed. This won't be until she's at least 2 years old & has had at least 2 seasons. Just my own opinion of course!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:26

Had my first done before her first season and Moo done after (she came into season the day of her op!). Personal choice Smile

Its a very routine op and I found it harder to keep her stilll afterwards! Nothing to worry about, honestly I think you'll be more worried. Xx

Do your own research, it was a must for me and always will be.

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:45

We just had Tilly done a couple of months ago, scar all healed up now (because we gave he extra love Love Struck )
Hardest thing is to keep her calm, gentle exercise in garden for a few days, lead walks only for 2 weeks and then BANG staffy's back. Tilly is absolutely Top Banana now and we would never know any difference . Like women , bitches always have their mood swings (sorry girls) and Tilly is no different , but for us it was so nice to see her not having to go through all the lady traumors.

As far as care and costs are concerned then
1) we paid £120 however if you have a rescue you may find that the vet does a deal with the rescue for reduced costs
2) bitches generally in season once every 6 months so the vet should insist on 3 months after season
3) Lots of different opinions on when , rescues will do at 6 months (our vet will too) but we waited until 18 months (personal choice)
4) If there is no other care in the house then I would recommend time from work, ( (maybe crating could be an option but we nevr crated Tilly after 4 months so couldn't comment)
5) The VET you can only go on reputation

Hope this all helps

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:27

Guys fantastic advise and I thank you all for you’re input I will take this away and have a very hard long look.

Its good to see so many caring people for these misunderstood animals as they are wrongly accused of so many issues.

Lola

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:11

Im personally an avid fan of desexing. Not only will it stop unwanted puppies and the chance of dogs being around your house, it wil also make your dog less "valuable" to theives and I actually have a tag on lexi saying "Spayed"

Also the mess is less lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:16

I've nothing against neutering at all - I just feel that it should be done (if at all) once maturity has been reached. In my opinion 'mess' shouldn't come into the decision!

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Apr 05 2012, 14:40

Hello,

Just FYI our breeder requires that any female puppies remain intact for at least one year. Feels that this is a good balance between the risks and benefits. My impression was that allowing at least one or two heat cycles--some exposure to hormones--is of benefit in terms of cancer and orthopedic issues, although it doesn't sound like there is hard evidence for a perfect time (a year? two years?). She also has her females spayed once done breeding--GYN infections in older dogs (pyometra) if they are not.

I am a people doctor Smile so tried to sort thru the evidence.

Hope that's helpful.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 20:06

Caryll wrote:I've nothing against neutering at all - I just feel that it should be done (if at all) once maturity has been reached. In my opinion 'mess' shouldn't come into the decision!

No, it shouldn't. but its a little bonus Big Grin Lexi wasnt done until she was 3, she definitely calmed down after it though. I always wonder though if she would have been calmer from the start if she had been spayed at say 8 months. I'll never know obviously, and i wouldn't like to be taking bits out of them before their first heat, esp as the first heat lets you know they are healthy in the first place and everything that should work does Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 00:43

Equi wrote:I always wonder though if she would have been calmer from the start if she had been spayed at say 8 months.

I can only quote from experience - my aunt had her bitch spayed at 7 months & she became a nervous wreck, really, really bad (she was ok before). My boss's old dog (red setter/doberman/GSD cross - had the body of a dobe, the coat & colour of a GSD & the brain of a red setter!) - was castrated at 5 months on the vet's advice & was never the same again. He began to be very disobedient, was aggressive towards other dogs (he wasn't before) and eventually ran off & got run over. My boss's present GSD was spayed at 5 & a half months. She's a beautiful girl, but she's 3 years old now & acts as though she's still 6 or 7 months old, really scatty, and physically she still looks as though she's only abot a year old, very lanky & lightweight. Also, her vulva never grew beyond puppy size due to lack of hormones & she has to be cleaned every time she pees or she suffers from urinary burn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 08:58

Ty was done at 6 months and Kaos at 7 months - no ill effects there but definatley has not calmed them in the slightest lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 09:31

Thats shocking Caryll! I can understand why it all happened though.

Dogs are a bit different though they arent getting their insides messed with lol. I wonder what hormones effect a dog apart from the obvious? Carly, do you think your dogs are leaner than an entire male? I just wonder if the hormones effect their bulk?

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Apr 06 2012, 09:50

we had to have sasha spayed as she had a pyo and prob would of died other wise,we were always gonna get her spayed as she kept having phantom pregnancy's and it just was'nt fair on her,i think it's such a personal decision for every owner,you know your dog and what is best for her,just do your research and you will come to the right decision,as for calming her down,she's a staffy,dont think they ever calm down thats why we love em! Love Struck
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 10:28

Equi wrote:Thats shocking Caryll! I can understand why it all happened though.

Dogs are a bit different though they arent getting their insides messed with lol. I wonder what hormones effect a dog apart from the obvious? Carly, do you think your dogs are leaner than an entire male? I just wonder if the hormones effect their bulk?

No not at all....I dont think neutering affected them at all. Ty is in lovely condition and shape he is quite lean but with perfect mucsel (sp?) formation imo anyway lol Kaos is a bit of a chunky monkey (not anything to bad lol) but he always has been from a pup. I think some dogs like people are more prone to a bit of chunkyness hehe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Apr 06 2012, 10:50

my xena is huge i cant keep her weight down.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 16:37

I had Ty done at 7 months on advice of my vet. To be honest, I would have waited until he was more mature based on advice given in this forum. I do feel that his male bits still look a little like a puppy's but I have not seen him be any less of a dog. He has the lovliest nature, is very boisterous and gets on very well with other dogs. Loves humans of course.

I cannot say that he would be any different if he was intact. We go to training with three other Staffies. A female another neuterd male and an intact male. The intact male has a male handler and is a lot of dog but to be honest, I am a little envious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 19:00

I agree with those that say that a dog should be mature before neutering/spaying, but like always, it's personal preference.

My boy is now 18 months old and I've always intended to have him neutered at this age, but I'm not so sure if I will bother at all now. He is not dominant, he has never once showed any interest in bitches, he's not a humper, and tbh, his temperament is absolutely perfect and I'd be really worried about it changing him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Thu Apr 26 2012, 11:11

Hi there - this is indeed a very hot topic and one that I have to address within the next 3 weeks as I have a small window of opportunity. I don't have any choice but to get Lily spayed Sad as it was part of the agreement that I signed up to at the rescue. They would have had her done while she was there but she came into season just after she was picked up and I understand that it has to be done between 2 seasons. Anyway, that's the decision made as to whether to or not but I have another decision that I have to make. I wonder if anyone has had expreince of keyhole spaying which takes the ovaries but leaves the uterus. Appreciate any advice you can give. Many thanks x worried
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Spaying my dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 11:19

Pollyanna wrote: I wonder if anyone has had expreince of keyhole spaying which takes the ovaries but leaves the uterus. Appreciate any advice you can give. Many thanks x worried

My vet won't do it. He says that it's easier on the dog to do the whole lot & avoids mistakes such as a small bit of ovary left behind that could produce eggs, or even turn cancerous! Mind you, that's just one vet's opinion and like spaying in general, they all seem to have different views! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Sat Apr 28 2012, 07:48

Thanks Caryll. My normal vet doesn't do it either although I haven't taken her to see him yet. I have an initial consultaiton with the 'keyhole' vet on Monday and will also speak to my own vet and then I gues its just a judgement call - I hate decisions.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
Spaying my dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 10:18

Just try & weigh up the pros & cons of both. Even the full operation is fairly routine nowadays & they recover quite quickly.

As you say, you have no choice, being part of the rescue deal, you just need to work out the best way.

I think I'd go for the whole thing (as long as I trust my vet) so that there's no chance of anything getting left behind.

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Sat Apr 28 2012, 20:08

when i had sox done it was distressing as when i picked her up she was crying,i actually stayed on the settee with her as to comfort her all night,when we went back following morn for check they kept her there ,i was a bit concernd but when we had her back in evening YES sox is back trying to keep her still and with the lampshade on was hard work,now you wouldn't know any difference back to staff world, thumbs up
eskidavies
eskidavies
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 20:18

They do get over it very quickly. The crying on the first night/ day is mainly the effects of the anaesthetic. They're normally given quite strong painkillers for a couple of days at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Apr 28 2012, 20:27

wow iv got alot to think about aswel ive been told scarlett oesnt need a season and when shes 6 months they can do it but i think im going to let her get a bit older and let her have some seasons!
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Sat Apr 28 2012, 23:09

Its all quite traumatic isn't it -my friend said she didn't put this much thought into it when she got herself done Big Grin
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
Spaying my dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Apr 30 2012, 12:52

I visited the vet this morning and Lily is getting spayed in 2 weeks. He says that he does more by keyhole spaying than normal spaying now. I was going to ask him about the advantages / disadvantages of just taking the ovaries and he said no, nothing is left as they take the lot. She will have 3 incisions with one stich in each - he didn't forsee any problems and the cost would be £300 in comparison to £230 by the normal method. I suppose at the end of the day you just have to have faith in your vet - although I will be a nervous wreck come the day Sad
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
Spaying my dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content