Advice on jumping and biting?!

4 posters

Go down

Advice on jumping and biting?!  Empty Advice on jumping and biting?!

Post by KatieD Tue Apr 03 2012, 17:55

Ok so any advice on this would be great, Kaiser will be 6 months sometime this month and keeps jumpin at people and biting but not aggressively just really really giddy! I've already tried turning my back to him to ignore him and he nips my legs!! phbbbbt And I've tried saying "NO" and trust me I say it stern, I've even tried yelping so he thinks he's hurting me but he's just not getting it! at wits end the worse thing is when passers by stop to pet him and he's jumping and nipping them and going for my face and kids face!
KatieD
KatieD
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tess & Kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : Tess- 13 years. Kaiser- 7 months.
Dog Gender(s) : Tess- Female. Kaiser- Male.
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Advice on jumping and biting?!  Empty Re: Advice on jumping and biting?!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03 2012, 21:29

Have you tried using an obedience command instead of ignoring? Every time he jumps or tries to bite (or looks like he's going to) try telling him to sit. Then make him stay put until he relaxes a bit, then gentle praise & maybe a treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 00:13

I think you are doing the right thing it just takes awile for it to work sometimes. Is everyone in the house doing the same thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Apr 04 2012, 05:36

Honestly, just keep doing it and try what Caryll suggested. I find giving a sit command and waiting till the mayhem stops is the best strategy. However, when they really get going it can be tough. I have the leaping dogs of terror when I get home from work. Three bouncing staffs all trying to say hi and make sure I notice them first. Laughing Keep at it and in a few months he will get it.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Wed Apr 04 2012, 09:21

I have the same problem, when she's having a "freak-out" ignoring her doesn't work she just bites my legs or feet... I end up putting her in her crate for 5 mins to calm down which seems to work best, even though I read advice against it?
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Getstaffed Wed Apr 04 2012, 12:09

I have been dealing with the same thing with my pups, both 6 months old, I tend to walk toward them if they jump up, they are invading your space and a pack leader would not tolerate it, pack leader would growl as a warning then move toward the pup if it didnt listen. You could also try a squirter nottle with water in it.

Getstaffed
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 12:25

Getstaffed wrote:I have been dealing with the same thing with my pups, both 6 months old, I tend to walk toward them if they jump up, they are invading your space and a pack leader would not tolerate it, pack leader would growl as a warning then move toward the pup if it didnt listen.

This may work with some dogs, but could also be seen as an invitation to play! Turning away & ignoring is usually the best way to deal with jumping up. Please don't forget that we are not 'pack leaders' in a dog's eyes. Yes, we are the 'boss' but your dog will not see you as another dog & it's therefore different. If you have more than one dog, they will sort out their own 'pack hierarchy', but you will still be the boss of them both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Apr 04 2012, 13:18

Gabbiadini wrote:I have the same problem, when she's having a "freak-out" ignoring her doesn't work she just bites my legs or feet... I end up putting her in her crate for 5 mins to calm down which seems to work best, even though I read advice against it?

It normally isn't best to use the crate for punishment but it all depends on how you do it. If you simply
use it as a time out place but the dog is happy to go in, I don't see a problem with it. However, if you scoop up a dog and toss them in, that is bad. I'd say if it is working an your dog still likes the crate, no harm being done.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieD Wed Apr 04 2012, 16:24

Thanks guys I'll keep at it a while longer and if its still not working I'll try the other strategies Smile thanks
KatieD
KatieD

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tess & Kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : Tess- 13 years. Kaiser- 7 months.
Dog Gender(s) : Tess- Female. Kaiser- Male.
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:29

Patience and consistancy are the keys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down