Gentle Leader

4 posters

Go down

Gentle Leader Empty Gentle Leader

Post by Gee Sat Mar 31 2012, 14:07

Just bought one of these and tested it with Troy on a short walk.

Positives:

+ It works, he would stop pulling immediately once at the end of the leash and would walk nicely on the walk.
+ Cheap

Negative:

- Seems a bit flimsy, not sure if it would definitely would stay on if Troy REALLY wanted to get at something.
- He still did pull a bit and just walked with his head sideways when after the noise of a dog or seeing a cat etc
- Looks like I am leading a horse when his head pulls to the side.
- He tries to take it off, paws at it and rolls on the floor.
- It just seems cruel, I can tell he just does not like it and looks sad
- I feel like a prat and cruel knowing he isn't having a fun time

Granted, I have only been on ONE walk and I guess he should get used to it more and more but I am not convinced. Anything from anyone here that has one? How has your dog got on with it, are they used to it now etc?

Thanks.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Gentle Leader Empty Re: Gentle Leader

Post by Lizzie Sat Mar 31 2012, 16:11

I bought one from Amazon earlier this week and have to say I feel exactly the same as you do, so was glad to read your comments. Have put mine back in the box and shoved it in the drawer, my boy hated it and looked so upset I just didn't have the heart to continue with it, especially as i wasn't convinced it was very strong.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat Mar 31 2012, 17:50

I went back out with it on again and he stopped trying to get it off. It does make a huge difference but he just looks so unhappy with it on.

I'm taking it back, though it more or less cured the issue I dot want my dog feeling unhappy.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 17:51

You have to give it at least a couple of weeks and the key is always using it on every walk so they dont get confused. I have found it best to take the whole thing of when letting oflead tho. It took Ty ages to get used to it but thats all it is......its a strange thing at the moment and he just wants it off. Eventually it will become as normal as a lead. Ty also spent most of the first week trying 2 claw it off on walks and we didnt get very far. I found lots of praise and very quick walking helped as well as a toy or treats which ever suits. Honestly i wouldnt be without mine now, its made walking them on lead (speacially in busy places like at the beach) a pleasure and not something to dread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 17:52

oh and ive had mine for ages now and no sign of weakness at all.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 17:53

Gee wrote:I went back out with it on again and he stopped trying to get it off. It does make a huge difference but he just looks so unhappy with it on.

I'm taking it back, though it more or less cured the issue I dot want my dog feeling unhappy.

lol u really need 2 give it a chance....of course he isnt going to like it u have only used it twice! Up 2 u tho.....lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 17:57

I use one for Charlie and it makes such a massive difference. He HATED it the first few times I used it, but that's because it was strange to him. Now, he gets excited when I get it out, cos he knows it walk time. I tried him without it the other day, just to see how he was, and he pulled something awful so I'm going to keep using it.

I've had mine for a long time too, I did have to get a new one, but only because Charlie chewed the adjuster clasp.

They do get used to it, I'd stick with it for a while to give them and it a chance, but it's your call.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:00

I know I need to really give it a chance but he still tries to pull in it anyway when he really wants to.

I don't even like the feel of it to be honest and it doesn't feel very secure. I'm scared if he jolted it would come off and he would fly into on coming traffic.

It's a shame really, because when I take it off again he pulls straight away as mentioned above, but doesn't that prove that it really doesn't train them to not pull?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:08

It gets them used to walking to heel but doesnt really fix the problem and is a last resort. I used the stop start method with mine for over a year to no affect and this was a life saver for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:10

We got something similar for Rocky it's called a Canni Collar:

http://www.cannydogcollar.co.uk/?gclid=COzK8q7Qka8CFUcntAod5zLawg

It does stop him pulling on the lead,
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:17

You;re right that it doesn't correct the behaviour, but when you've tried everything else, like Blaze and I have, it really is a lifesaver.

I started to really dread walks with Charlie before I got the gentle leader, now I look forward to them again Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:48

Well I've only had Troy 2 months so definitely not enough time for such a head strong dog and I have not tried many a things so im not in a last resort situation. Maybe I'll get another if it comes to that. For now I'll keep trying with the training.

I can appreciate why some may use them and maybe I might have to one day! Wish me luck.

Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 20:16

Good luck Gee! Hope you find something that works for you and Troy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01 2012, 01:39

I'v used the head halti i think thats a little more secure than the gentle leader, my lot didn't like it but i put it on them in the house fed them their food/played with them, they played with each other and pretty soon they got used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sat Apr 07 2012, 21:26

I use a Susi all in one halti n lead, on my other dogs, I find it feels stronger, more secure and comfortable in my hand. I only use it to walk the dogs to the park safely, (I have a shoulder injury so can't have them jolting or pulling on that), then I just slip it off and off they run... normally like loons Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Gentle Leader Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sun Apr 08 2012, 08:55

I use a Susi all in one halti n lead, on my other dogs, I find it feels stronger, more secure and comfortable in my hand. I only use it to walk the dogs to the park safely, (I have a shoulder injury so can't have them jolting or pulling on that), then I just slip it off and off they run... normally like loons

Can you post a link of what you are referring to please?

We got something similar for Rocky it's called a Canni Collar:

http://www.cannydogcollar.co.uk/?gclid=COzK8q7Qka8CFUcntAod5zLawg

It does stop him pulling on the lead

Just got round to looking at that. I do like that actually! It looks like even if the strap over the snout came off, because it looks to have a nice size conventional collar, you would still have control of the dog.

Troy sits at the road nicely without a queue but can get impatient and tries to walk before I do and I have to pull him back. My worry with the gentle leader is that it would come loose.

Think I might look into getting one.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Apr 08 2012, 17:16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Susi-Combi-Lead-Head-Collar-All/dp/B00595JYUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333901571&sr=8-1
This is the one i use, obviously be careful for the first few days as they can get it off over their nose, but i've not had one get it over the top of their head, but once they get used to it i find its really comfy, some of the others i find are very thin nylon and it rubs n cuts the skin, this is nice and padded, good for owner and dog Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Gentle Leader Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down