things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz

+2
Steve
krik1690
6 posters

Go down

things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz Empty things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz

Post by krik1690 Wed Mar 21 2012, 18:58

With my fussy pup not a big fan of eating dry food on its own i was wondering if ther our any things that i could mix like egg etc but im sure eggs our only ok once a week. Any ideas????
krik1690
krik1690
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz Empty Re: things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz

Post by Steve Wed Mar 21 2012, 19:03

you can add abit of water but i wouldn't mix it with anything else

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz Empty Re: things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz

Post by janey Wed Mar 21 2012, 20:11

Have you considered swapping foods?

I add gravy to Moo's, not all the time but when she needs enticing Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Wed Mar 21 2012, 20:19

Ive had him on jwb tried a tester of fish for dogs and tried barking heads. Hes just fussy Sad
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Mar 21 2012, 20:27

as most dry food is complete you'll have to be carefull with whatever you add or you'll end up with a chubby puppy unless you ruduce the ammount of dry. buy what ratio is anyones guess unless your really good with a calculator.
When marley goes of his food I usually mix a spoonfull or two of low fat plain yoghurt in which does the trick for him.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Mar 21 2012, 21:22

Hes just fussy
I'll sound completely horrible here but my attitude is let him starve. Trust me Romeo used to be as fussy as anything and I literally gave up enticing him.
Put his food down for fifteen minutes, if he doesn't eat it take it away. He won't starve himself. You have to be firm.
If he hates dry food that much mix it with wet. Any will do, just a small amount.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Wed Mar 21 2012, 22:21

Il try the starve aproach lol. Hes a wee skitter lol
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 10:04

Have too agree with jade, i would too he will soon see that thats all he is getting, no sane dog would let themselves starve.
Tara use too be a fussey little bugger and my mum would change her food all the time and even then she stuck her nose up at it cos she new she would get summit different if she didnt eat it, here she gets her biscuits, mixed in with cooked prize choice meat, vegtables, garlic now and again and oil with some herbs now and again aswel. Too start with she needed encouraging too eat but now she eats and polishes the bowl off everytime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 10:42

yeah I read there is a 10 minute rule - take it away if they don't finish it in 10 min, then don't give them any treats or scraps before next meal time, and do the same, they will soon realise that they need to eat that food now or they are going to starve. it could take a few days to get them to realised so you need to be strong.

(lucky for me I have a guts of a dog who will chow down anything infront of him in less than 2 minutes) so I have never had to try it and I would probably give in and mix in wet food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 13:48

I'v yet to known a dog to turn down webbox sausages, yes they are not the best nutrition wise but mixed with a good brand dry biscuit, it goes like a paste and covers the individual biscuits. The smellerer the better for dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Thu Mar 22 2012, 19:00

Is webbox sausages ok for pups? And how much do you mix?? Half one per meal??
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 19:15

i used to feed lemmy wnything just to get him to eat. i would cook him mince, liver, kidney and mix with allittle dry dinner but then he started getting it maybe once a week as a treat now ther are 2 of them it is deffinately only once a week for a treat. anyway i use what ever we are having. yesterday we had pork steaks so because I oven cook them there is the juices in the tray. I oput a couple of spoonfuls of the juice on their usual dinner and they ate it. anything like that. they think theyre getting something different every time. but i agree no dog will starve themselves so if you want him on the dry dog dinner only then dont give him anything else he will eat it eventualy

Back to top Go down

things to mix with dry food?? HELP plz Empty I know the feeling

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 07:24

I'm also an owner of a 'fussy' dog where food is concerned. He just would not eat the dry food.
I tried the moist with water - didn't work.
I tried the 'leave the food down for 20 minutes' - it didn't work.
I tried the starve method - it did not work - all that happened was he lost weight, looked ill, became lethargic then cost me in getting him checked out with the vet.
I was getting very frustrated with it indeed.
So I started to mix bits in with his food i.e. gravy, mince, tuna, sardines, pasta, boiled egg, cheese. Bit expensive as I have 2 dogs but at least he ate. Slowly I tried to ween it away - he stopped eating again Crying or Very sad
I decided to buy some wet dog food trays - Tripe & rice, Fish & rice, Chicken & rice.
The feeding guidance on the tray was for 1x tray a day, I gave him a quarter of a tray & reduced his dry food by a quarter. Mixing the 2 together - he ate Big Grin
I then started to feed twice a day again, giving him a third of his food in the morning. Then I monitored his weight and appetite to ensure that the mix was balanced.
He is now 17 months old and weighs a nice 20.2kg - I thought this was heavy for a Staffy but the vet assured me that he is not overweight for his body/build

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Fri Apr 06 2012, 23:12

I now feed him raw minced beef in the mornings and barking heads mixed with wet or sardines or egg or doggy gravy in the evening i just swop about but hes doing realy well and is 6 months and 14.8 kg
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Apr 07 2012, 09:36

I mix a raw egg with shell in with Baileys dry food, and also give him sardines mixed in occasionally aswell!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down