Dogs not well at all!

Go down

Dogs not well at all! Empty Dogs not well at all!

Post by Hollie C Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:19

My old girl tasha started off coughing and chocking about a week ago. We thought due to her old age she was just reacting to the cold but now Sukie has caught something. She is just lying on her bed next to the radiator and the fire and hasnt moved at all even when i mentioned her ball she never moved. Although i got her to get up for the toilet nd she was very lame on her back legs and i had to lift them up for her until she got strengh, i wasnt too sure if this was because of her being over weight. She has been off her food and was not drinking although we put a bowl of water next to her now. Her nose is also running and you can hear her struggling to breathe through it. Now Al has started coughing abit and i am scared incase they have got some thing bad! does anyone have any suggestions what it may be?
Hollie C
Hollie C
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Al
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dogs not well at all! Empty Re: Dogs not well at all!

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:33

not to sure Hollie but it could be para-influenza commonly known as kennel cough. it is a highly contagious and is spread through direct or indirect contact with a dog that has this condition. it will affect dogs of all ages that have not been vaccinated against this disease. while this condition is definitely a serious one. it is self limiting usually lasting only 2 to 4 weeks. the symptoms are loss of appetite, high fever and intense harsh coughing that brings up mucus. as long as your dog sees a vet immediately, the chances of their recovery are excellent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:37

Thank you yes Tasha has been bringing up mucus and there has been kennel cough going round the dogs down at the club. I had Al down at his training class and they said it had been going around. We are going to make an appointment for the vets.
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:43

Hollie C wrote:Thank you yes Tasha has been bringing up mucus and there has been kennel cough going round the dogs down at the club. I had Al down at his training class and they said it had been going around. We are going to make an appointment for the vets.

yeah you would be better off to go to the vets, from what you're saying is does sound very like kennel cough, but the vet can easily treat this problem and eradicate it forever by giving your dogs the proper treatment. let us know what the outcome is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:45

The last time i was up with all three they had their injections and als breeder took him and got him up to date before we got him.Dont think this snow is helping the matter much either!
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 02 2010, 23:56

Hollie C wrote:The last time i was up with all three they had their injections and als breeder took him and got him up to date before we got him.Dont think this snow is helping the matter much either!

yeah the snows a nightmare cant do too much in this climate, yeah but they still need the booster for kennel cough every 12 mths.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 04:19

Kennel cough vaccination is stupid really say there are 14 factors of kennel cough but the vaccines only prevent 10 of them so its never a guarantee the vet will prbabilly put her on cough medicine. untreated it could lead to too much fluid in the lungs which can be an even more serious situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Fri Dec 03 2010, 09:14

Yeah we have been giving her flu and cold relief which seems to be helping sukie. I took her out on a short walk last night when the snow was off and she run about for a while then came back in with the other dogs. Thank you for the info Smile
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03 2010, 09:34

MissRogue wrote:Kennel cough vaccination is stupid really say there are 14 factors of kennel cough but the vaccines only prevent 10 of them so its never a guarantee the vet will prbabilly put her on cough medicine. untreated it could lead to too much fluid in the lungs which can be an even more serious situation.

So, you would allow your dog to get one of the 10 that the vaccination prevents? What sort of owner are you? Have you ever had a dog with kennel cough?

It can be very distressing & for an older dog very dangerous. It can lead to complications such as pneumonia. I get Dempsey vaccinated every year (it isn't a vaccination, actually, it's drops up the nostrils - at my vets, anyway).

Sorry, Hollie C, get your dogs to the vet & get the appropriate treatment - once you start the treatment you should start to see signs of improvement within a day or so. Let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollie C Fri Dec 03 2010, 10:12

Thank you, yes my mum is taking them all up to the vets tonight.
Hollie C
Hollie C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down