Jackieb
Bruno311210
wentzer
Ben
lmjc90
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need help not getting any sleep... Empty Need help not getting any sleep...

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:25

Does anyone know how I can stop scarlet yelping at night since Tuesday night I've had no sleep as its all she has done in her crate. She has a small bowl of water, and her chew toys with her favourite blankets but she yelps like shes being murdered! I have tryed everything I know but if she doesn't stop I can't keep her as none of the family is getting any sleep Sad I don't want to have to give her up as I love her to bits but 4 days with about 2 hours sleep is not doing me good. Please any help would be much appreciated! My lab did this for one night then he was fine but this is going on all night.
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Need help not getting any sleep... Empty Re: Need help not getting any sleep...

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:29

Did you place a blanket over the crate? You could also try not to force her inside but let her go in on her own or lure her with a treat. Wait with her until she is setteled and then close the door

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:33

Tryed that all jstaff but as soon as you walk away even if her eyes are close she's wide awake yelping and howling Sad my partner and I both check on her and there's never anything a wrong with her
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:37

Have you tried leaving an article of clothing with your scent on it inside with her? Also maybe a TV or radio on nearby her so there is some noise in the background?

If she whines you just have to ignore it. Going to check on her makes her think that if she whines long enough you will come to her. It's hard the first few nights but they do settle

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:40

Yeah I stuck a jumper of mine in with her and my partners computers on, might find an old tshirt wear it allday and stick it in tomorrow night but the jumper tonight didn't seem to make a difference
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 01:55

with water, is it possible she has to pee? thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Feb 25 2012, 02:22

She is really quite young and it does take a few days or even longer for some small ones. She isn't used to being all alone. I personally let my dogs sleep in bed with me as I am a light sleeper and wake with every move so I can take them out to potty. I know that may be a bit controversial, but there will be a couple trying times when raising a pup and if you can get through it the whole family will be repaid in spades. The few trying periods are: young pup - sleeping and house training, terrible twos, teething, teenage stage. They aren't the easiest times but can be a real bonding opportunity. It is a lot like raising kiddos. Hang in there and don't give up on the gal, it will pass.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Sat Feb 25 2012, 03:57

have you tryed putting her crate in the same room as you so she can see you, and know its ok?
wentzer
wentzer
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need help not getting any sleep... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 04:27

I can understand how frustrated you are....our Jethro has been a bad sleeper on and off and I know what it is like to be tired due to the dog not sleeping and keeping us all awake.
Leaving a radio on can sometimes lull them back to sleep...even now I leave a radio on for Jethro and Winston ( they sleep in different areas..so I have 2 going all night! ) Jethro can't stand it when there is complete silence...
I would cover the crate for sure make it more like a little cave..they seem to love that......does she get lots of playing time and exercise during the day..and especially before going to bed..I know she is only a baby but a happy puppy is a tired puppy.... She is only a little baby and I wouldn't put water in her crate. going overnight without a drink won't hurt her...let her out to do a widdle or whatever before you put her to bed..they only have tiny bladders..and if she is feeling uncomfortable she will let you know! Winston cried and yapped the first few nights in his crate.. I knew he had already been to the toilet before bed, so as hard as it was I ignored him...after a few nights he must have thought..well she aint coming out to see me so he just slept! Phew!
I have even resorted to earplugs when Jethro was going through his bad phase.. I tried rescue remedy drops to relax him too..a puppy might only need one drop..
Hang in there !

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat Feb 25 2012, 07:18

aww bless you

Went we got bruno, we had 1 night of it because the second night we gave bruno a cuddly teddy bear and left the radio on low enough for him to hear and this seemed to do the trick

Anne and Bruno Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Feb 25 2012, 08:18

Personally never used a crate, Diesel has her bed in our room but 99% of the time she snuggles upto us on our bed at night, I don't mind tho.

U will be surprised the amount of staffy owners share their bed with one !

I would try moving the crate to ur bedroom, if she can see/hear u I reckon she would be more settled.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by john and sonia Sat Feb 25 2012, 08:59

Leia sleeps at the bottom of our Bed we dont have a crate as yet and we would only use a crate for when we have to leave her on her own for awhile. I know she is being spoilt but thats just us lol. We have a training pad at the side of the bed and if she needs to go she uses this and then cries to be lifted back on the bed when shes done. Other than that she sleeps straight through and is no trouble. I also think putting the crate in the same room as you while shes still so young is a good idea Smile
john and sonia
john and sonia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need help not getting any sleep... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Leia
Dog(s) Ages : 12 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:17

we dont have crates for ours. they have their beds in the kitchen and they just go to bed when theyre tired. we also have a big bed i made in the corner of the living room. Lemmy will somtimes get up with me and Lottie will sleep where she wants but the biggest part of the time they get in the same bed together and sleep there all night. but really cant advise on crate training

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:20

Try letting her sleep in a regular dog bed rather than the crate. She may be seeing the crate as a punishment and so she would not settle in there.

Make sure she has a good play before bedtime so she is ready for some sleep.

She is still very young and would have, until recently, had the company of her siblings with her all the time and of course her mother.

I am sure things will work out in a while sounds like she needs to get in a bit of a routine this will help.

Keep going you will get through this stage. Fingers crossed for you.

Ps another trick is at nighttime to put a ticking clock in with the puppy. This sounds similar to mums heart beat and would help to get her of to sleep.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:22; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:21

We put Billy in a crate when we first got him and he cried for a few nights, we ignored it and it did stop, you just need some patience and preservation and it will stop. Where does Bella sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:30

All great tips guys! But I tried the cuddly bear, and left the tv on and she still cried Sad I would love her to sleep on my bed but she still being toilet trained and she's still having a few accidents here and there so the partner wont have her up till then. She also has a bed of her own for the day but she chews so much she can't really be trusted at the moment but I've found some old sheets so I'll try making a den out of it Smile and she also get played with a hell of a lot in the day time and she always having long naps through the day she is so tired! But last night we got her to sleep most of the night and woke up to poo lol but she's a very very clingy puppy she hates being left alone and I hate when she crus it upsets me Sad

Lynne - she sleeps upstairs in my sons room on a night she always hides up there and sleeps
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:32

Could you put the crate in there as well, it might stop it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:57

Awww .. Skye was the same dont worry some dogs do some dogs dont .. Skye would have me up at 12 2 4 and 6 which is when i would have her on my bed untill about a week later she stopped waking up every 2 hours and it was just 4 and 7 she was a howler too, where as vin only did it 2 nights ..i put her crate in my room with a sheet over it and one of my tops in it and her teddy bear etc she had her last drink before bed because there bladders are very small and weak at that age.
She grew out of it in about a week or two! Hang tight! She is getting used to her new surroundings and smells aswell as leaving her parents and litter Mates .. Its all alot for her still, give her time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:01

yeah im thinking if i take her up to my room it might help shes just seems to be terrifed of eveything though bless her! shes got over outside now and knows nothings going to hurt her, its just cracking this
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:03

It does take its toll on you i had to have a night off now n then n i took the couch n got me mom on puppy duty haha .. It will just give her reassurance its ok your still there because she can see you and then a lil later you can always move her crate back when shes settled Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:08

yeah but my partner doesnt want to help me and im doing this all on my own and he wonders why im snapping at everyone, im so tired. i dont think he understands. but i only putting her this crate because everyone told me its the best way for them to get used to sleeping by themselfs but i want her to sleep in my room its just i dont trust her out and about on a night she will just chew everything even if her chew toys are near her but its understandable because she is still learning Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:20

Yeaaah .. I think if you put her crate in your room it likely to calm her down Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:23

my partner was jumping on the gun of giving her away but im not ever going to give her up! she is a lovely pup and he has even admitted it himself! i told him its gunna take her time to get used to everything and new surroundings but its not helping that his whole family are putting pressure on him to get rid of her angry
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:28

Wo :/ .. Well perhaps show him some of the storys on here? Endless people who have new pups on here straight away post topics saying he or she wont sleep help!! .. Unfourtunatly its a common thing in pups for the first few days/weeks or so .. But all have conquered it and the pups now sleep straight through Smile .. I wa like it with skye too so maybe show him some of the topics so he can see its common and its not just your little onE

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 10:35

yeah hes been on here and knows im always looking for tips and advice on here, its just annoying because we had it so easy with our lab he thinks it should be the same for scarlet but i dunno theres something niggling me like someones hurt her? as she is very cowardly around men =/ she would rather go to a child or a woman and i dont know if thats contributing to it Sad
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 11:43

at her young age, it's unlikely that Scarlet's insecurity is the result of having been somehow harmed. it's more likely that this is all just her way of dealing with new people and her new enviorment. every dog's an individual, so expecting Scarlet to be just like any other dog you've had may be unrealistic. i'm sure you'll get through this. Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 12:07

oh i know its my partner expecting to be like the lab, i knew she was gunn be different, but she starting to settle more evryday and im going to take the crate up stairs tonight see if she settles better
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 12:12

lmjc90 wrote: im going to take the crate up stairs tonight see if she settles better
hope it helps. good luck Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 12:33

hope it works!! Big Grin

trust me alot of us have been through a similar thing !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 12:43

Do me a favour? Buy some lavender essential oil. Just before she goes in her crate (and after she has had the chance to go to the toilet outside) rub 2 tiny drops on her forehead, another 2 tiny drops on her chest & put a drop here & there on her bedding - not too much, just 3 or 4 at intervals.

Lavender has a known calming effect & will often help with restless nights.

Let me know if it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25 2012, 12:48

yes try what Caryll said for sure.
I have used lavender for Jethro too . forgot all about mentioning it!

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 15:07

ooo i will try that caryll have some in the cupboard actually Smile will do it tonight Big Grin
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat Feb 25 2012, 15:40

Bruno sleeps in his crate at night and goes in there when we're not home otherwise he would destory the house, we've lost alot stuff because of him heehee
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 15:52

yeah thats what im scared of scarlet doing on a night lol
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 25 2012, 16:10

I hope the lavender oil works I often use that myself when I can't sleep and it works for me thumbs up good tip
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Feb 25 2012, 18:45

well bed time soon so i shall keep you posted on how it goes
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy N Sat Feb 25 2012, 20:07

She needs to be in the same room as you for her to settle

Andy N
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by hutty Sat Feb 25 2012, 22:59

we'd had a cat some years ago and in the roof was one of those fluffy pyramid beds and with tia being so small the other half thought if we put that in her crate at bed time it would give her some security and to my amazement it did and from day one she honestly never made a noise
hutty
hutty

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : tia
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by paul/beau Sun Feb 26 2012, 00:08

laura

i went through the same problem with beau.

cover crate with blanket and don't force the dog in, let the dog use it all the time not just at night, if the pup falls asleep on your knee or elsewhere put pup in crate, so scarlet knows that when she sleeps its in the crate,

if you give the pup treat new toy ect learn puppy to take it to the create.

i used to tempt beau in with treats and sit with him for ten minuets then move away but don't leave room untill pup is settled,

the hardest part is to leave alone???? you now know that the puppy is fine and not in trouble. has water and stimulation via toys ect.

it took me 4 nights but you have to not give in to whimpering crying ect, i was lucky i had the time of work so sleep was not a problem .

if you check on the puppy you will not win and not get past this stage its hard as the crying does pull on the heart.

beau now uses his crate as his space rest's, eats bones in it takes all his toys in it, if i need him to calm down i tell him bed and he knows he has to calm down, i only call him out when he is lying down and tail is still and not wagging.

best to leave well alone, we did have a few mis hap,s with wee but after 4 days he new what was going on, my wife and eldest son used ear plugs.

it will pass
paul/beau
paul/beau
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sun Feb 26 2012, 01:22

Yeah Paul we tryed treats and I always stick her in when she sleeps Smile I got her crate up stairs and she's doing brilliant! Had a few whimpers but as soon as she know I'm here and she's safe she's all good again Big Grin
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 01:24

Glad to hear things are improving

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 06:12

jstaff wrote:Glad to hear things are improving

so am I !! applause

Back to top Go down

Post by paul/beau Sun Feb 26 2012, 08:23

>Big Grin< big hugs to scarlet for being good now
paul/beau
paul/beau

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sun Feb 26 2012, 12:27

she got lots of kisses thie morning once in the night she woke up for a wee and that was it!!! i did have to take her into my ebd as sirens were going off in my street and she was shaking like mad! but it worked Big Grin as soon as she knew i was there in the same room she was fine Smile and thanks caryll those lavender drops worked a treat alothough i only put some on her bed it was enough to knock her out for the night ahaha!
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 13:30

that is wonderful news!! good girl Scarlett!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Sun Feb 26 2012, 14:03

Bode generally sleeps on our bed at night, but the last few nights in her crate as she wouldn't wake us for a wee in the morning.

She will yelp and cry in her crate only some times, but as soon as the lights go out she's quiet, the crate is right next to my side of the bed, it definately makes a difference with them knowing your near by
Rob
Rob

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sun Feb 26 2012, 14:43

vanessa - ty Smile

so proud of her! now she knows she safe shes been going in no problem in and out by herself she knows now that we arent gping to leave her Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26 2012, 14:46

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:44

Well Done....Heston went through this in his first week, even though he was 4 months when we first got him from the rescue centre. Lavender & Classic fm really worked a treat for us, but we did have to work slowly on closing the crate door as he screamed too when we first tried to close him in it for the night. My partner really struggled with the nights because it had been ages since he had a puppy & also had never crate trained. I did all the night toileting, he did the early morning wake up and now he is really glad we saw it through as the crate is an absolute blessing. Heston loves his den and take it everywhere with us, so he always has a safe place.
georgiegem
georgiegem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Heston

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:54

Great news! So glad it is improving.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next