Constant Itcing, licking and biting

5 posters

Go down

Constant Itcing, licking and biting Empty Constant Itcing, licking and biting

Post by DIANE Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:56

Sky my 2 year old Staffy bitch constantly is scratching her itchy skin, she also chews her feet and has servere hair loss, lots of trips to the vets she is now on predisone, one 5mg everyday. I feed her James Wellbeloved food and have tried oil suppliments in her food, also every different shampoo going, does anyone else have this problem and can suggest anything else i can try. Sad

DIANE
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Constant Itcing, licking and biting Empty Re: Constant Itcing, licking and biting

Post by Steve Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:58

Sad have you try giver her omega 3? it not going fix the problem over night it may take a couple month before it kicks in but it does help with dogs coats

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Constant Itcing, licking and biting Empty Re: Constant Itcing, licking and biting

Post by steve76 Tue Feb 21 2012, 22:02

i had a lurcher that had a itchy skin condition, the vet suggested pouring sunfower oil over his dinner, took a few weeks but it cleared up and his coat was great
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:33

salmon oil from fish4dogs.co.uk

and i bathed Diesel in Etiderm shampoo as recommended by the vet - sorted her skin out. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/c-407-Etiderm.aspx?_kk=ecef32ba-1e08-4b60-b61b-45c161e85724&_kt=10244046393&gclid=CIeZj5Ccsq4CFQcRfAodg2MoRA
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:58

What does Sky sleep on, is it a blanket that you wash? It could be an allergy to the washing powder/conditioner?
kathie450
kathie450
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 21:05

This probably won't cure the problem, but should help to reduce the itching/scratching cycle....

http://www.lintbells.com/online-store/14/yumega-plus-500ml

It sounds very much like an allergy, but the only way to get to the bottom of it is either expensive & invasive allergy testing or exclusion of one thing at a time - ie foodstuffs, type of bedding, washing powder etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 23 2012, 11:06

Kaos gets terrible itchy sore red and swollen feet in the summer, although i have never taken him to the vets about it im sure its a certain grass pollen allergy. As its not all the time just at certain points in the year i keep it at bay by washing his feet everytime he comes in from walks and after playing out side and sometimes use sudacrem or e45 itch relief cream and when really bad i give priton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 23 2012, 11:10

blaze wrote:Kaos gets terrible itchy sore red and swollen feet in the summer, although i have never taken him to the vets about it im sure its a certain grass pollen allergy. As its not all the time just at certain points in the year i keep it at bay by washing his feet everytime he comes in from walks and after playing out side and sometimes use sudacrem or e45 itch relief cream and when really bad i give priton

This could well be an allergy to grass sap, especially when the grass has just been cut. Every time I take Dempsey to the park in the summer I have to wash his feet when we come back, especially if they have recently cut the grass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down