Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP

2 posters

Go down

Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP Empty Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP

Post by crippingale Thu Feb 16 2012, 13:53

Need your advice,

My two year old Staffy bitch rescue that I have had since she was seven months has in the last month gone for three dogs. It seems to me that she runs up to them and shows submission they start to play and then when I arrive on the scene all hell brakes lose and Eden does not bite but heckles are up and she is on top of them with all teeth showing and will not let up! It goes on and on until I manage to grab her by the scruffs. She leaves the opposing dog petrified and shaking. Of course from now on I am going to have to keep her on the lead.

I am wondering if this is a protection thing for me. She is half German Sheppard. She should be looking at me for protection but it seems that she is doing the protecting. It seems only to happen on the one field.

I know she does not see me as the pack leader as she play bites me. It is definatley her dominating me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Clare
crippingale
crippingale
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Eden
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP Empty Re: Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16 2012, 16:28

Well, to start with, I don't hold with the 'pack leader' theory. A dog does not see a human as a pack leader - they know we are not dogs.

Play biting isn't a problem unless it gets out of hand & she won't stop when you tell her to. It has nothing to do with her dominating you, it's just how dogs play with other dogs.

I think it's more to do with the fact that she has GSD blood - the two together can be explosive! She's dominating other dogs but not injuring them - typical dominant behaviour, but not aggressive. However, other people (and dogs) won't see it the same way, so for the time being you'll have to keep her on a lead around other dogs.

Does she respond well to the 'leave' command? If so, try that before she gets to another dog. Make sure that all introductions/meetings with dogs are made under control & calmly before any play is allowed.

Back to top Go down

Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP Empty Re: Aggressive dominant behaviour - HELP

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16 2012, 16:42

Caryll wrote:Well, to start with, I don't hold with the 'pack leader' theory. A dog does not see a human as a pack leader - they know we are not dogs.
I dont exactly agree with you here Caryll. Perhaps 'pack leader' is an out of fashion term. I prefer to think of it as 'resource provider' and therefore requiring respect. I tend to think of it as setting boundaries and expecting these to be honoured, the reward being affection, food, treats and toys.

Caryll wrote:Does she respond well to the 'leave' command? If so, try that before she gets to another dog. Make sure that all introductions/meetings with dogs are made under control & calmly before any play is allowed

This is essential to my mind when interacting with other dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16 2012, 20:58

Ty wrote: Perhaps 'pack leader' is an out of fashion term. I prefer to think of it as 'resource provider' and therefore requiring respect. I tend to think of it as setting boundaries and expecting these to be honoured, the reward being affection, food, treats and toys.

That's probably a better term, yes. My problem with the whole 'pack leader' thing is that people assume that if they treat their dog the same way as dogs treat each other then everything will work out! That's why they get bitten when they try to pin down a dog - dogs don't see us as pack leaders, but as resource providers and dominant (hopefully) companions.

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Thu Feb 16 2012, 21:50

crippingale wrote:Need your advice,

My two year old Staffy bitch rescue that I have had since she was seven months has in the last month gone for three dogs. It seems to me that she runs up to them and shows submission they start to play and then when I arrive on the scene all hell brakes lose and Eden does not bite but heckles are up and she is on top of them with all teeth showing and will not let up! It goes on and on until I manage to grab her by the scruffs. She leaves the opposing dog petrified and shaking. Of course from now on I am going to have to keep her on the lead.

I am wondering if this is a protection thing for me. She is half German Sheppard. She should be looking at me for protection but it seems that she is doing the protecting. It seems only to happen on the one field.

I know she does not see me as the pack leader as she play bites me. It is definatley her dominating me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Clare

Are you personally nervous and maybe get too bothered about a little naive squabble? Like Caryll said above, just showing teeth is not aggressive it’s just that something spooked her and she thinks she needs to do something, It could be up to you what that something is btw. I swear dogs pick up on handler’s feelings and sometimes start to miss behave. How about calling her to you and walking away? Would she just follow you?

The other day I was in Bushy park and my girl went to say hi to a woman and her seemingly re-homed greyhound that was on a lead. I told my girl to stand back as i’m never taking chances with dogs on lead and she did but I heard the woman blurt out a very worried ‘NO’ followed by some pretty nervous growling from her dog. My Lucy only stood a couple of yards away waiting to be invited to play and I’m convinced her dog wanted to play also but the lady just seemed worried and the dog went off on one.

Also, my dog play bites me only and not my wife or kids because i like it and I promise she is far from dominant.

Hope you'll sort it out soon
CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down