Need ideas for new toys/chews

4 posters

Go down

Need ideas for new toys/chews Empty Need ideas for new toys/chews

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 08 2012, 13:04

Just doing some searches for new toys that will keep Dora entertained.
Looking for things that will preferably last and not be destroyed within minutes....

Has anyone bought either of these items and found them good?:

A Kong Stuff A Ball
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-raquo-Toys-Stuff-Large/dp/B001VLEYJU/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1328703699&sr=8-49
This sounds good - she loves searching for food drooling

Or these Indestructiballs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Pet-Indestructiball-Dog-Large/dp/B00393R11Q/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1328703699&sr=8-55
Sounds like dogs either love or hate these as they don't bounce confused

She isn't that strong at chewing yet, but it is getting to the stage where I am having to throw out most of her rubber squeaky toys and soft/fabric toys as these are getting destroyed and eaten too easily! I've picked up some interstingly coloured poos this last week sick Not good - my poor puppies tum has been full of junk!

Things she has already that have lasted her well so far are her Puppy Kong which is still going strong and her Smokey bone which she has had a go at nearly every day since she was little. I have the white Nylabones which are for 6months on, but she doesn't seem that interested in them yet - I think they are too hard for her still or maybe the shape is too boring.
She can eat really large raw hide chews quite quickly now so I'm not too keen on them.
I shall have a look through the posts in this section to get some ideas but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them
Thanks Smile
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need ideas for new toys/chews Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Need ideas for new toys/chews Empty Re: Need ideas for new toys/chews

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 08 2012, 13:50

After doing a little more research on this forum and other sites, I've decided to try getting Dora some antlers to chew. Probably the large ones.
http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/pure-dog-stagbar-deer-antler-dog-chew-497-p.asp
I think she will love them! They sound much safer and healthier than raw hide and should last her much longer.
I'm still happy to hear other toy or chew suggestions though if anyone has any Smile

Last edited by alexiastra on Wed Feb 08 2012, 13:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : kept noticing mistakes :P)
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 14:18

Dempsey loves stag bars! He has two of them which he's had for about 4 or 5 months & there's hardly a mark on them! And that's with a real power chewer!

Back to top Go down

Post by sammy&lola Wed Feb 08 2012, 14:29

Lola too loves these stag bars, 4 months on and still quite a bit left.

Can't suggest any toys, she's not really bothered with any of the ones we have bought her, she prefers throwing my socks, gloves and pants around.

She is also very partial to the odd wall >Smile

Need ideas for new toys/chews Lola002

sammy&lola
sammy&lola
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 14:32

Oh, dear! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 08 2012, 15:45

We got Rocky a Kong Wobbler which is in the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ALMW0M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_g199_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0C4N62RKCJ9ZN4ZK42E7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294

You can either put dry food (kibble) in this or treats. Rocky love to play with this and it has lasted ages.

He also loves this little chewable toy and has also has a few of these for ages.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ruff-and-tuff-rubber-chicken-leg-dog-toy-56253

Hope this helps a little.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 08 2012, 16:14

Thanks for the replies and glad to hear that the antlers have been successful for your doggies cos I've just ordered them and they were a bit pricey. Don't mind if they last though Smile
It is such a minefield buying toys and chews - there are so many on the market but not much that is suitable. Dora has got to the stage where she will just eat them all. Though saying that, she was chewing a plastic ketchup bottle today and I was relieved to see her spitting the bits out that she chewed off, maybe she is learning not to fill her tummy with junk! - maybe :/

I don't blame Lola for the wall - looks tasty to me - lol! Oh dear, poor wall. We have a tiny section behind her crate which has been chewed. I've caught Dora with my pants before as well Laughing

Thanks for the links Kathy. I like the look of the rubber chicken leg! We already have a food pyramid similar to the kong wobbler - she loves that. We feed her with it all the time. Another might be good for a bit of variety - she gets very efficient at getting the kibble out!
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 19:13

partial to the classics myself Big Grin http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-raquo-Extreme-Black-Large/dp/B003M4C1GW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1328728195&sr=1-3 ya can put peanut butter or whatever in there Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 21:37

Lemmy has a treat ball. you stuff it with small treats and when it rolls a certain way a treat comes out. he loves it plays with it for ages but a word of warning though when it runs out of treats or he doesnt get one for a while he throws it in the air and then cries and rolls and stamps as though he's throwing a tantrum Crying or Very sad the kongs are great too but the stuffing is expensive we put peanut butter in Lottie's she loves it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 23:22

We still use regualr old Kongs. She loves them and they last a good while

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Feb 09 2012, 11:22

Yeah Dora loves her puppy kong, but only when it has stuff inside and then she just licks the insides to death - doesn't do much chewing - lol! She isn't quite at Extreme kong level yet.

Julie, I'd like to see Lemmy throwing a tantrum! haha.

I think what is hard about choosing toys is that she doesn't necessarily play with them the way they are intended to be played with Smile She finds her own entertainment with them.

I'm hoping these antlers will keep her busy. The shop dispatched them the same day - i was very impressed! Hopefully they'll be here soon.
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:03

you mentioned rawhide chews. if you look you will get some spearmint flavour ones they go down really well and are meant as a dental chew and breath freshner. like you say they dont last long but for the purpose they are great Lemmy loves them. have you tried a boomer ball. it might seem a little expensive to start with but compared to the price of replacing toys its not really. and actualy the cheapest toy of all is an empty plastic drinks bottle for some reason these seem to give lots of entertainment for quite a while take the label off first though otherwise you'll be picking little bits up for ages Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:19

Plastic bottles are great as well as empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls. Just causes a bit of clean up Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:24

Thanks Julie! I've not come across spearmint raw hide. I'll have to look out for them.

Yes I did think we would get her a boomer ball, but we haven't got the space for her to play with one at the moment as our house and garden are pretty small. We are moving house soonish though and we will have a much bigger garden for Dora to play in so maybe we'll get her a boomer ball for the garden.

We have discovered she likes plastic bottles. She enjoys squashing them and ripping the labels off (and eating them), but gets bored after that, lol. Trouble is she now tries to get bottles we haven't finished with, so we have to be careful where we leave them Laughing We haven't had any drink spillages yet...

Jstaff Dora eats anything made of cardboard so I tend not to give it to her. Do you think it matters if she eats cardboard?
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:29

I'm not sure actually eating it is healthy. Suki usually just rips it apart and leaves a mess. I think she takes pleasure in destroying things. She will on occasion swallow some cardboard or rubber but it passes on it's own. As long as it isn't sharp I don't think it will cause any internal damage.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Feb 09 2012, 12:55

I wish Dora would do that! I'd happily go along and pick up all the pieces, but she tends to rip a large piece of cardboard off, chew it for a bit and then she will swallow it.
Same with cuddly toys, she'll shake and kill them for a bit then sit and chomp off their ears and swallow them!
I think she has stopped swallowing plastic stuff to my relief. She chomped a plastic coat hanger the other day and I saw her spit out all the bits.
I have to be so careful cos she does tend to swallow stuff. I don't care when she destroys stuff and makes a mess, I just worry about her ending up with a blockage!
I used to not worry too much about small bits of toys/chews/cardboard etc going through, only the last week or so I've seen LARGE bits in her poo. Not nice! So I need to put a stop to it.
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dillibags Thu Feb 09 2012, 17:45

Those antlers look ace! Have just ordered some for Maisie thumbs up
dillibags
dillibags
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maisie
Dog Gender(s) : Femal;e
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Fri Feb 10 2012, 12:52

The antlers arrived today - very quick service!
Dora couldn't wait to get hold of them - she could smell them as I was unwrapping them. I gave her the smaller of the two to start with and she needed no encouragement whatsoever, she sat and gnawed it for ages. I got some pics which I'll put up later.
It definitely seems as though they will last a good while and keep her entertained! thumbs up
alexiastra
alexiastra

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down