-Ian-
jshrew
JStaff
Hoglet
adamprinceofeternia
Kathy
12 posters

Go down

Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please  Empty Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please

Post by adamprinceofeternia Tue Jul 08 2014, 18:23

Hi all. Just wanted to find out everyone's thoughts on tug toys, pulling toys. To date this is not a type of play I have entered into with my girl as the experiences I have had with other staffy's in the family is that they will never give up. I had always figured that it would be a bad thing to let the dog always win. What do you all think?

Cheers
adamprinceofeternia
adamprinceofeternia
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Kiara
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please  Empty Re: Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 08 2014, 18:39

We often have a game of tug with Rocky, if he lets go I have trained him to sit until we start again. So long as you win it's fine and when you say enough is enough.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please  Empty Re: Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08 2014, 18:49

I agree with Kathy my girl loves tug but also knows when I say enough' it's finished Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by adamprinceofeternia Tue Jul 08 2014, 18:55

How do you start training them to let you win? I know if I say stop or enough to Kiara she would just keep pulling and I'd have to let go and let her win.
adamprinceofeternia
adamprinceofeternia

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Kiara
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years old

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoglet Tue Jul 08 2014, 19:03

I think tug is really important and great fun, but you and your dog need to follow the rules.

If you put the effort in you can use it to teach your puppy/dog bite inhibition, self control and it makes a fantastic reinforcer for those who are obsessed.

This article explains more Smile

We can dangle Moss' tug toy in front of his face and he only takes it when we tell him to. Similarly we can ask him to leave, throw it and again he will only go after it when released. He LOVES these games and gets really hyped up, but is able to remain composed until we say "good boy, take it" - a very good skill to teach!

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/2007/12/10/dog-tug-rules/

Last edited by Kathy on Wed Jul 09 2014, 13:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added full link to post)
Hoglet
Hoglet

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Moss(SBT) & Jess(lab)
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 & 10yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Jul 08 2014, 23:28

Suki loves a good game of tug of war.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jul 09 2014, 02:54

The best reward at flyball is getting to play tuggy when Ledger brings the ball to me and he will hang off it and have me swing him around (the kids love to see the flying dog) For that reason he has to win else he wouldn't have the drive for the reward however him winning means the game stops and he has to spit the toy before we can play again.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jul 12 2014, 12:39

Errr... Must admit that I am never going to win a rope toy from Flo !. As far as she is concerned its hers and that's it. A stick is hit or miss. Sometimes she'll drop it but you have to be really persistent with her.

I think we missed out with getting Flo as an older rescue and her being so obstinate.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Thu Jul 31 2014, 09:17

Roxie absolutely loves her tug rope. When visitors come the first thing she does is run to her toy box and grab her rope. She has been taught to leave and will not grab it until she gets the go ahead. However, once the game commences it is very difficult to get the rope back  Laughing 

I love to see them both playing tug together. Maisey has a tendancy to lie on her back with her legs in the air and get dragged across the floor by Roxie. I really must fit some dusters to her so she can clean the floor at the same time, lol
saffi28
saffi28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by LexiconDevil Sat Sep 13 2014, 20:05

adamprinceofeternia wrote:Hi all.  Just wanted to find out everyone's thoughts on tug toys, pulling toys.  To date this is not a type of play I have entered into with my girl as the experiences I have had with other staffy's in the family is that they will never give up.  I had always figured that it would be a bad thing to let the dog always win.  What do you all think?

Cheers

when he wants to play tug of war he'll try and stick one end of it in your hand and I just hold onto it. after I feel him give it 3 or 4 pulls I let go then we repeat.I wouldn't have an out & out competition with him though
LexiconDevil
LexiconDevil
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Your Country : Finland
Dogs Name(s) : DropIt
Dog(s) Ages : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Mon Sep 15 2014, 21:49

I just played tug with pups and if she happens to win she just put the rope back kn my hand so the game goes on but she was never possessive she just likes to play plus it's very good opportunity to teach puppies basic commands like "leave it" and see them developing selective hearing Laughing
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Sep 16 2014, 21:36

Playing tug is a great way to knacker them out, and also a great way to teach them to "leave" and "drop".
If you get a few treats together, start playing a gentle tug with her and then hold a treat near her nose and say drop or leave (be consistent) When she smells the treat she will do so in order to eat the treat. Just repeat until you have to use treats less and less and always praise when she does right.

There is nothing wrong with having a game of tug along as they know when to stop Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17 2014, 18:39

Vin also loves tug his fave game. I recently purchased a rope (very strong) with ball also strong from PAH. Its an eco friendly range Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Wed Oct 01 2014, 13:31

I have read that there's no link between letting your dog win at tug and dominance.
Have a read of this.

http://dogtime.com/tug-of-war-with-dog-dunbar-faq.html

Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Oct 01 2014, 13:51

Leave or drop is very important with tug of war i use the same concept with a butchers bone Laughing mia even nowadays tries her luck i confiscate the bone then give her it back i had to this with mia when i first got her. She growled at me yesterday while passing by with the bone in her mouth i had to take the bone from her. She doesnt like change theres been workmen going round outside the house something i cant avoid.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pulling toys, tug toys. Opinions please  B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down