Dempsey's diet

2 posters

Go down

Dempsey's diet Empty Dempsey's diet

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07 2012, 11:47

Well, over the last year or so Dempsey has put on a lot of weight - what with his stomach operation, then his ear being ripped followed by his dew claws breaking his exercise was all up in the air.

We noticed just before Christmas that he was becoming very lethargic, didn't want to go out & would just lay around at home & we worried a bit. I didn't think he was 'ill' exactly but something wasn't right. I wondered if it was down to his stomach operation so i took him to the vets. The first vet put it down solely to a raw diet which I didn't agree with because he's been on that for nearly all his life. He recommended some supplements & left it at that.

It didn't change so we went back again about 10 days ago. The vet we saw this time, although he wouldn't recommend raw feeding, is ok with it. He thought that it may be down to his operation & that the stomach isn't evacuating all of the food all of the time. As he's raw fed & therefore eats less bulk, this means that toxins were getting into his bloodstream. He didn't charge for the consultation because he felt it was related to the operation, neither did he prescribe anything - what he did do was recommend a product called Rinti, which is a high fibre veg supplement for meat eaters...
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_health/stomach_digestion_supplements/14254

I bought some & he's been having it for about a week. The difference is phenomenal! He has more energy, he's enjoying his walks & he's losing weight because of it! The only drawback is that his poops are a lot bigger now, but I'll put up with that!

Back to top Go down

Dempsey's diet Empty Re: Dempsey's diet

Post by janey Tue Feb 07 2012, 11:49

Pleased to hear you have found a simple solution to the problem and that Dempsy is beggining to shed those pounds Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07 2012, 12:02

That's great news and glad to hear he is doing better

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07 2012, 13:07

wow well done, glad you got to the root of the problem, glad Dempsey is feeling much better

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 10:12

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 08 2012, 11:47

Glad to hear you got it sorted Caryll. what a difference just seeing another vet made and getting that second opinion.

Just a note for those who feed their dogs JWB Alfalfa is an ingredient in the kibble.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29 2012, 23:03

Wow, so glad Dempsey got better.
Is this something that I should be giving Blue due to eating Raw or is it something that Dempsey needed due to his operations?

The poo size thing is amazing, when I see other dogs now I think wow who left that.....a T-Rex

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31 2012, 22:19

Meant to ask you Caryll are DAF delivering to your area now are you still getting your food from morrisons?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:49

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Wow, so glad Dempsey got better.
Is this something that I should be giving Blue due to eating Raw or is it something that Dempsey needed due to his operations?

No, it's just that his stomach muscles aren't as good as they should be & he needs the bulk to get rid of the waste efficiently.

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Meant to ask you Caryll are DAF delivering to your area now are you still getting your food from morrisons?

When I contacted DAF a few weeks ago, not only are they still not delivering here, but they're not even considering it any more! I get the bones from Morrisons & the rest anywhere it's cheapest! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 18:04

Hope Dempsey is doing well.

I was looking into maybe getting an order off DAF once in a while as they do meats like venison, rabbit, duck etc so good for a bit of varity.
Im still get Blue's food from Landywoods. Great food and excellent prices only neg is they don't have a massive varity of bones, only do meaty ribs, chicken and turkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 16:30

I order from DAF and always buy loads Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 18:08

DAF's very good, I just wish they'd deliver here. Doesn't look like they will for the forseeable future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 08:37

Im just waiting for them to sort their website out as they're updating it at the moment.
Any pics of the different fods you get off them Ella?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 11:33

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Im just waiting for them to sort their website out as they're updating it at the moment.
Any pics of the different fods you get off them Ella?

Have a look at this.........

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:13

Thanks Caryll thumbs up
Looks a great post I'll have a good read and look through some suggested suppliers later when my brain isn't using all it's power on breath in......breath out.....breath in sick sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 00:20

Thanks Caryll Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down