generations of breeding

2 posters

Go down

generations of breeding Empty generations of breeding

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 09:35

If for example, you are breeding dogs, can they be registered with the kennel club if they have been breeding true for five generations as the breed you are breeding or does the kennel club not accept them?
What about if its a new breed? How many generations does it have to breed true?
I do remember reading that the rule of thumb was five generations but there are much older breeds like the jack russell terrier and plummer terrier that are not recognised by the KC.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

generations of breeding Empty Re: generations of breeding

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 09:53

?????????sorry if its just me but im not understanding the post are you on about interbreeding

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 10:05

No I mean if you are breeding a non kennel club registered dog, say for example creating a new breed or adding another standard to an existing breed. Like for example Bull terriers have standard and mini sizes, what if i wanted to create a mini staffordshire bull terrier standard, how many generations would have to breed to a specific breed standard for it to be accepted by the kc as a new standard or a new breed.
(I'm not planning to do anything of the sort i'm just curious)

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 11:00

It could takes many years, and even then they may not accept it! It isn't just a matter of breeding true for so many generations. You have to set up at least one breed club, create a standard and have a large enough gene pool for them to be accepted. You would also have to keep your own register of dogs/litters etc & all those who join must agree to register their dogs with your register. You're looking at many years of formation.

It's a lot of work, and at the end of it the Kennel Club can still say no!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 11:00

P.S. Why on earth would you want a mini Starffordshire Bull Terrier?

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 12:35

I don't its just an example Laughing I couldn't think of anything!
In regards to this i'm looking foward to the day the new alaunt is a well known breed.
I could never breed my own standard or breed-you need loads of money, knowledge and resources!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 12:39

shakespearesdog wrote:In regards to this i'm looking foward to the day the new alaunt is a well known breed.

In the UK it never will be. It would always be considered a 'type'.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 12:46

Really!? They don't look type to me at all. How ridiculous. I wish i could move...
http://www.thebritishalauntsociety.moonfruit.com/#

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 12:46

What about the Bully Kutta?

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 14:14

Why do you want another fighting dog to be registered?

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Feb 03 2012, 17:13

Another fighting dog?
Are you saying that just because a dog is bred/was bred to fight other dogs and guard houses that it would make a useless pet?
Thats very hypocritical considering you have owned a stafford and own a bull terrier.
I think Bully Kuttas are a very interesting and beautiful breed of dog. If I got a mastiff breed they would be my first choice.
I fostered a rotty x english mastiff for a year, he was used to be chained up outside and trained to attack on command yet he acclimatized very quickly and was a fantastic house pet-and the poor love had only been subject to beatings and harse words his entire life. He is now living a happy retirement. Smile

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Feb 03 2012, 19:30

You need a lage society of like minded people who are all passionate about the new breed to represent it and campagne it
I doubt the kennel club will consider anything new with bull breed in them they will fall into type unfortunatly thats the fault of all the unscruplious breeders out there Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 23:47

shakespearesdog wrote:Are you saying that just because a dog is bred/was bred to fight other dogs and guard houses that it would make a useless pet?
Thats very hypocritical considering you have owned a stafford and own a bull terrier.
I think Bully Kuttas are a very interesting and beautiful breed of dog. If I got a mastiff breed they would be my first choice.
I fostered a rotty x english mastiff for a year, he was used to be chained up outside and trained to attack on command yet he acclimatized very quickly and was a fantastic house pet-and the poor love had only been subject to beatings and harse words his entire life. He is now living a happy retirement. Smile

Not hypocritical at all! The Bully Kutta is still bred for fighting, staffs are not (not the ones you or I get hold of, anyway) and haven't beed for decades! Any Bully Kutta you brought into this country would have been bred from fighting parents - google images of them & you'll see most of them are of dogs fighting!

Same with the Indian Bull Terrier - bred for fighting.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sat Feb 04 2012, 18:19

Staffordshires still have strong fighting instincts and rottweilers still have strong guardian instincts. Both breeds are power breeds and could kill other dogs and people if mistreated.
Bully Kutta are not people aggressive dogs, they are prized and live with the family in the house. Them, the 'indian bull terrier' known as the gull terr and the gull dong (pakastani bull dog).
People domesticate wild wolves. A mastiff breed, already used to people, would be easy to fully domesticate when given sufficent exercise.
Thats the mistake a lot of americans make with the apt, they forget its a working dog and fail to give it plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.
That said I would not trust a breed like that in the wrong hands, the same as any powerful dog. All power breeds should be subject to a mental test to obtain a licience to own one, but thats another story!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 05 2012, 01:16

shakespearesdog wrote:Staffordshires still have strong fighting instincts and rottweilers still have strong guardian instincts. Both breeds are power breeds and could kill other dogs and people if mistreated.
Bully Kutta are not people aggressive dogs, they are prized and live with the family in the house. Them, the 'indian bull terrier' known as the gull terr and the gull dong (pakastani bull dog).
People domesticate wild wolves. A mastiff breed, already used to people, would be easy to fully domesticate when given sufficent exercise.

OK. Firstly, the stafford cannot be compared to the Bully Kutta, the Gull Ter or the Indian Bull Dog. The stafford that you and I own have been bred for years from non-fighting dogs. Although some still maintain a da attitude, they are not fighting dogs. The others are, and are bred purely from fighting dogs. There's a world of difference.

And people cannot tame wild wolves. Even a wolf kept by humans from a cub will not become 'tame' the way a domestic dog is.

Do you really think that the Bully Kutta would make a good breed for the idiots who mis-use the staffs now? I would hate for any of those breeds to become recognised & hope they never are. You can call me what you like, but we don't need any more fighting breeds intoduced to this country. We have enough in the wrong hands already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down