Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating

2 posters

Go down

Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating Empty Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:46

Hi guys,

Don't have a dog yet, looking into it and had dogs before (one for 12 years). Got a thread going already:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t13760-new-member-considering-a-staffy-have-questions

But I have a different specific question so hope creating another thread is okay.

So, I am looking into getting a dog and should be able to come to an arrangement whereby it goes to my Mom's house when I am working or my brothers comes down to walk it when I am at work (will be walked in the morning before work, midday by a family member and when I get home from work). However, I would be getting a dog I may not know the history of very much (rescue) and don't want it to tear my house a part when I am out. So, therefore would it be acceptable to have my dog in the basement for a couple of hours on occassion when I am out? I'm thinking it would be better for the dog to be able to free roam rather than being locked in a crate?

It will be fully carpeted, will have bedding, toys, water etc. I know it sounds like a ridiculous question when there are people that have dogs outside and in kennels but I to ensure my dog is not ill treated in any way.

The basement has a lot of floor space and two section of rooms. However, there is only one window in one of the rooms that has natural sunlight coming through, would this be a concern for the dog?

If the basement is out of the question, what size does a crate need to be in relation to the size of the dog?

Thanks.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating Empty Re: Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating

Post by janey Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:50

Sounds fine. Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating Empty Re: Keeping a dog in the basement (only when out) + crating

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:54

Is the lack of natural light something to be concerned about?

Any idea on crate sizes?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 30 2012, 16:00

If he is only going to be there for a minimum stay then not at all and you mentioned that there is a window.

I haven't ever crated so I wouldn't no, Moo was a rescue and she has had run of the house since day one, never chewed anything at all but she did initially come to work with me Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 16:08

I can't see a problem.. it is not like the doggie will be locked in there forever..never seeing the light of day! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 16:31

Well the carpet might not be a great idea. If you plan to have that as his little home so to speak, i personally would fork out for cheap tiles or something because most dogs will have accidents and a few will chew the carpet and dig. But it would be fine. I would rather have it in the basement than in a crate tbh. Just make sure you leave a light on cause being in the dark is so sad haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 16:36

Forgot to add might be a good idea to leave a radio on ( where he can't reach it ) I always leave the radio on when I have to go out.. I think the boys enjoy it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 16:40

Cant see any problem. You will have peace of mind knowing your dog is safe. As long as he/she gets plenty of excercise it should be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 18:06

janey wrote:

If he is only going to be there for a minimum stay then not at all and you mentioned that there is a window.

I haven't ever crated so I wouldn't no, Moo was a rescue and she has had run of the house since day one, never chewed anything at all but she did initially come to work with me Xx

Thank you.

I will be looking into a rescue dog also.

vanessa wrote:

I can't see a problem.. it is not like the doggie will be locked in there forever..never seeing the light of day! Smile

LOL, nope! My brother has agreed to go down and walk my dog too, in exchange for using my gym equipment. He gets to save money!

Equi wrote:Well the carpet might not be a great idea. If you plan to have that as his little home so to speak, i personally would fork out for cheap tiles or something because most dogs will have accidents and a few will chew the carpet and dig. But it would be fine. I would rather have it in the basement than in a crate tbh. Just make sure you leave a light on cause being in the dark is so sad haha

I have gym equipment down there and don't fancy having tiles that may crack, unless you were referring to cheap carpet tiles? I'm not too fussed about the odd accident. My previous dog only have had an accident when he was sick / ill.

vanessa wrote:

Forgot to add might be a good idea to leave a radio on ( where he can't reach it ) I always leave the radio on when I have to go out.. I think the boys enjoy it!

Yup, I have already thought of that and will do Smile

Ty wrote:Cant see any problem. You will have peace of mind knowing your dog is safe. As long as he/she gets plenty of excercise it should be fine.

Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 21:00

The basement should be fine. If you go with a crate it should be large enough for the dog to turn around and stand up fully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 21:41

Can't see a problem with that at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:05

Thank you very much people.

Already measured up the basement for some carpet tiles Wink

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:07

Sounds like your dog will live better than I do! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:09

vanessa wrote:

We used to leave the TV on with CBeebies for Tilly if we went out for an hour or 2 but since she is growing up now she has moved onto CBBC Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:16

davemck3834 wrote:
vanessa wrote:

We used to leave the TV on with CBeebies for Tilly if we went out for an hour or 2 but since she is growing up now she has moved onto CBBC Laughing Laughing

Just make sure she doesn't get hooked on the soaps! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:23

Caryll wrote:
davemck3834 wrote:
vanessa wrote:

Just make sure she doesn't get hooked on the soaps! Laughing

Tell you what though our older Border Collie X (rescue) used to go mental every time Eastenders and Corrie came on with the howling we always assumed that was time for dad to take him out for walkies....du du dudududu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:58

Caryll wrote:Sounds like your dog will live better than I do! Big Grin

Well I'll do what I can to make it more comfortable. Floor is just concrete at the moment. Always planned on carpeting it out anyway.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down