Crating

3 posters

Go down

Crating Empty Crating

Post by craig46 Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:56

I'm, awaiting delivery of a crate for Mattie. Do you think it might help with the problem of her pooing at night. I do mean to get her to go in on her own I'm not going to shut her in against her will. I guess what I'm asking is, will she poo in her own bed !! Laughing

craig46
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mattie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Crating Empty Re: Crating

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 19:00

Hopefully not, make it nice and comfy with some toys. Throw some treats in and she will investigate. If she already has a bed that fits put that in so she knows its hers Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:44

Yes, I believe it will help with the problem of pooing in her crate.

I've crated Zeus as soon as I got him at 8 weeks old and he only wee'd in his crate the first 3 days, after that, he never has and hes 11 months old now.

Pups will not poo in their own space, but just make sure the crate is not too big. I started off with a smaller crate for Zeus to prevent this problem, as he got older, I then moved onto a larger crate.

As Chiara said, just make sure the crate is really comfy and there is a bed in there. (I started off by giving him a oval bed, which he chewed up lol, he's now got a spongy mat in there).

Zeus always went into the crate as he associated it with a happy place - i.e. he always got a treat whenever he went in there. Never put your pup in the crate as a punishment as he'll never want to go in there.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:31

goldie87 wrote:Yes, I believe it will help with the problem of pooing in her crate.

I've crated Zeus as soon as I got him at 8 weeks old and he only wee'd in his crate the first 3 days, after that, he never has and hes 11 months old now.

Pups will not poo in their own space, but just make sure the crate is not too big. I started off with a smaller crate for Zeus to prevent this problem, as he got older, I then moved onto a larger crate.

As Chiara said, just make sure the crate is really comfy and there is a bed in there. (I started off by giving him a oval bed, which he chewed up lol, he's now got a spongy mat in there).

Zeus always went into the crate as he associated it with a happy place - i.e. he always got a treat whenever he went in there. Never put your pup in the crate as a punishment as he'll never want to go in there.
Thanks. Mattie is a 2 year old rescue dog, so maybe it won't be as simple as it would be with a pup. Watch this space !!!

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:01

Introduce her gradually to the crate. Just leave the door open, with bedding & toys in there for her. Don't clean the bedding first - she needs to have her scent in there. Maybe throw a couple of treats in so she can see it's ok.

Also, put an old blanket or curtain over the crate so that only the door side is uncovered - it'll make it cosey & feel safe for her.

When you do decide to shut the door, again do it gradually. Shut it & then open it straight away & gradually increase the time it's shut.

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:06

Caryll wrote:Introduce her gradually to the crate. Just leave the door open, with bedding & toys in there for her. Don't clean the bedding first - she needs to have her scent in there. Maybe throw a couple of treats in so she can see it's ok.

Also, put an old blanket or curtain over the crate so that only the door side is uncovered - it'll make it cosey & feel safe for her.

When you do decide to shut the door, again do it gradually. Shut it & then open it straight away & gradually increase the time it's shut.

I'm hoping she will take to it right away as she loved the crate she had at her foster home (Kieth) When I cover it I'm going to use my duvet cover I've had on my bed (my smell) and her own bed which has her smell on it, in the hope she doesn't mess in it.

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:08

craig46 wrote:I'm hoping she will take to it right away as she loved the crate she had at her foster home (Kieth)

She might, she might not. It's a different situation - but she should take to it quite quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:51

I found crating to be keep for a number of different issues, including going to the toilet in the house. It'll give her a place of her own and a sense of security. She may go at the start in the crate but don't be too discouraged if she does. What Caryll said about keeping her scent in there is very important, as this is what will teach her it is her space the quickest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Jan 08 2013, 14:58

Hi Craig,

Mattie was terrified of crates when she first came into the rescue.
I introduced her to them by tying the door open, getting her attention with a treat, then throwing the treat into the crate.

At first, she would only go half in, but the treats were gradually placed deeper and deeper inside, until she eventually figured out that there was no harm in going into the crate to get her treats.

I then started to put her food bowl in the crate.

She should be fine - she was spending hours in it as a foster in the end - curled up on a folded over duvet.

If you stand by the crate door and point into the crate with a firm "in", she should go, quite happily. But she will expect a treat. Smile
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:54

Keith wrote:Hi Craig,

Mattie was terrified of crates when she first came into the rescue.
I introduced her to them by tying the door open, getting her attention with a treat, then throwing the treat into the crate.

At first, she would only go half in, but the treats were gradually placed deeper and deeper inside, until she eventually figured out that there was no harm in going into the crate to get her treats.

I then started to put her food bowl in the crate.

She should be fine - she was spending hours in it as a foster in the end - curled up on a folded over duvet.

If you stand by the crate door and point into the crate with a firm "in", she should go, quite happily. But she will expect a treat. Smile

Hi Keith,
Crate arrived, put it up. put her bed in it and 20 minutes later she's in it sound asleep. You did a great job with her there mate !!!

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Jan 08 2013, 18:10

Good stuff Craig. thumbs up
As long as it's used as a safe spot and somewhere to sleep, and never for "punishment", I think she'll be fine.

Just one thought - she's only been pooing on gravel at mine. You've been trying to get her to go on grass. I should have mentioned - is there any gravel somewhere for her to go (preferably not a neighbour's driveway I dont want to s ).
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:16

From what Keith just said maybe get her a little bag gravel nd pour a bit outside so she will go on it. She is just confused bless her. Lola is funny about doing her business when on a walk and holds it in until she gets home. They all have their quirks x Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:58

Chiara wrote:From what Keith just said maybe get her a little bag gravel nd pour a bit outside so she will go on it. She is just confused bless her. Lola is funny about doing her business when on a walk and holds it in until she gets home. They all have their quirks x Big Grin

I don't have a back garden so I'm afraid I can't go scattering gravel around the area Surprised Just persevere and hope her first night in her crate doesn't end in a mess first thing tomorrow.

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 18:46

How did the crating go? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Wed Jan 09 2013, 19:54

Chiara wrote:How did the crating go? Big Grin
OK. She enjoys it (in fact snoring her head off in there,ATM) She slept in it last night and NO MESS. Only thing is she never pooed when I took her out and after 4 walks, still hasn't !

I'm wondering if maybe some sardines in oil mixed with her food tomorrow will help in that respect. doh

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Jan 10 2013, 16:58

How's the poop and peeing going mate?
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Thu Jan 10 2013, 18:14

Keith wrote:How's the poop and peeing going mate?

Err....TBH not good. Overnight on Tues/Wed nothing in her crate. Took her out at 8:00 for around 20 mins (pee), 11:00 (nothing) for the same 2:00 for 45 mins (pee) then again at 10:30 for 10 mins before bed.

This morning...same 8:00 for about 20 mins, get back take her lead off....straight into the kitchen to poo in the middle of the floor. Out again at 11:00 for 15mins (pee) 2:00 for 45mins (pee) 5:30 for 10 mins (nothing) If she does nothing at 8:00 or 11:00, I'll take her out for longer first thing tomorrow. If she poos after that in the house ...well TBH I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. Crying or Very sad

I'm not at the end of my tether yet...but it's just over the horizon!!!

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Jan 10 2013, 18:35

If you want to bring her over to mine, I'm pretty sure we can get her to poop in the garden where she's used to it, but on a lead - so she can make the connection that it's ok to go on a lead.

I'm taking it she's never pooped on lead yet, but the wees are under control?
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Thu Jan 10 2013, 18:40

Keith wrote:If you want to bring her over to mine, I'm pretty sure we can get her to poop in the garden where she's used to it, but on a lead - so she can make the connection that it's ok to go on a lead.

I'm taking it she's never pooped on lead yet, but the wees are under control?

Just one little pee at home and no, not one poo on her lead. That might work if you don't think that's a backward step bringing her back to you. Let me know,M8

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:10

Lola is funny about doing her business when she is out, only time she will is when she is off lead and can run off and do it . I think she gets a bit embarrassed if she is on lead. If you can't let her off, how about a long lead so she can move away a bit first Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Fri Jan 11 2013, 08:48

Chiara wrote:Lola is funny about doing her business when she is out, only time she will is when she is off lead and can run off and do it . I think she gets a bit embarrassed if she is on lead. If you can't let her off, how about a long lead so she can move away a bit first Big Grin

applause SUCCESS!!! applause [b]Up this morning ....fed.... out 10 minutes later (thanks Keith M8) two poos within 5 mins of going out. She was on a long lead but went no further away from me than she normally does with her extendable one.

@Chiara Do dogs get embarrassed ?

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11 2013, 09:57

Yes Craig46 dogs do get embarrassed Laughing . Glad Mattie is settling in to her toilet routine, it must be a relief! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11 2013, 09:59

craig46 wrote: applause SUCCESS!!! applause [b]Up this morning ....fed.... out 10 minutes later (thanks Keith M8) two poos within 5 mins of going out. She was on a long lead but went no further away from me than she normally does with her extendable one.

Glad it seems to be working, but please don't take her out so soon after feeding. You risk your dog getting bloat which is potentially life threatening.

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Fri Jan 11 2013, 10:03

Caryll wrote:
craig46 wrote: applause SUCCESS!!! applause [b]Up this morning ....fed.... out 10 minutes later (thanks Keith M8) two poos within 5 mins of going out. She was on a long lead but went no further away from me than she normally does with her extendable one.

Glad it seems to be working, but please don't take her out so soon after feeding. You risk your dog getting bloat which is potentially life threatening.

Oh, that's worrying ! I was taking her out after 30 mins but was advised 10 was better.

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Fri Jan 11 2013, 10:04

[quote="craig46"][quote="Caryll"]

Oh, that's worrying ! I was taking her out after 30 mins but was advised 10 was better.

PS She only ate a little of her food because she was dying to get out the door, so with hindsight, she may have done it anyway ! Laughing

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Fri Jan 11 2013, 10:53

In general, you should wait at least 30 minutes after feeding before taking a dog out (longer if it's a big meal).

But dogs' bowels tend to start moving five to 10 minutes after eating, so you should be fine to take her outside for a poo, then straight back in - just like what happens when a dog eats a meal in a house with a garden, then wants to go straight out the back for a poo.

Once back inside, you can wait a half hour, then take her back out for a proper walk.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down