Breeding advice

3 posters

Go down

Breeding advice Empty Breeding advice

Post by mysticbull Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:00

We have a female who has started her season today although I have bred her before and my other female I am now using a stud from a breeder rather than my own due to me retiring him due to his age. I have always bred my dogs with males that I own and now I'm looking for advice about how I go about breeding her with someone elses male. I currently have a breeder lined up and another just in case but I am uncertain how she will react to a male she has never met? I was advised by one breeder to muzzle her and hold her on lead whilst the tie was taking place but to me this sounds barbaric? Can anyone give me some tips as many people I have spoke to have agreed with this??

Many thanks
mysticbull
mysticbull
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sky, Storm, Breeze, Bliss, Duchess
Dog Gender(s) : 1 male 4 females
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Breeding advice Empty Re: Breeding advice

Post by Taryn Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:04

Gem or Caryll would be best to ask about that. they both have show dogs, i'm guessing they might know a bit more.
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:06

I obviously can't comment on the advisability of mating your bitch as I don't know if she is fully health tested and typical enough of the breed to warrant it.

However, I'd try the mating without a muzzle to start with, although you could take one along as a precaution. Most bitches, if introduced to the dog at the correct time of their season will accept the dog with very liitle problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticbull Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:16

Yeah she usually wiggled her behind in their face it's quite wrong to be honest lol! Yeah all health tested eyes clear etc have our health certificate Smile she's beautiful perfect physique and every part of her is muscle she has done some showing but I do competitive events now she does agility as she is very nimble on her feet! That's cool I just hate the thought of her essentially being raped as with my male we let them into a sectioned off part of our garden and let them do the deed. Is it around 10-14 days she is most fertile as iv always worked it on second week of season as she seemed overly interested in our male before and as it is someone else's they want it over a 48hour period but has to be very specific days?
mysticbull
mysticbull

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:36

As gem says, your bitch will tell you if the time's right. Yes, it's towards the end of the season, but the actual days (and it may only be 2 or 3 days) vary from bitch to bitch.

When I bred litters (years ago) I was determined that if my bitch didn't want to mate, then she wouldn't. It didn't come to that, but if it had, I'd have just walked away without a mating taking place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:41

gem wrote:Ive had people drive hundreds of miles and from overseas and matings havent taken place just the way it goes im afraid Smile

True.

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticbull Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:53

Sort of feel like I'm being spoken to like I do t know what I am doing? Iv grown up around dogs, breeding and showing and my mum owns rescue and boarding kennel but when it comes to my own I want it to be right. She actually advised me to be wary of unknown studs to my bitch Purely on her bad experiences. I only breed when I have at least ten people wanting pups I do t breed all year round and only use the best in breed due to my own dogs all being Crossguns, I totally get what your both saying but I was merely being cautious rather than jumping in and forcing sky into a bad situation.

Thanks though Smile
mysticbull
mysticbull

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticbull Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:55

The dot is meant to say dont spell error :s
mysticbull
mysticbull

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jan 30 2012, 00:03

mysticbull wrote:Sort of feel like I'm being spoken to like I do t know what I am doing? Iv grown up around dogs, breeding and showing and my mum owns rescue and boarding kennel but when it comes to my own I want it to be right. She actually advised me to be wary of unknown studs to my bitch Purely on her bad experiences. I only breed when I have at least ten people wanting pups I do t breed all year round and only use the best in breed due to my own dogs all being Crossguns, I totally get what your both saying but I was merely being cautious rather than jumping in and forcing sky into a bad situation.

Thanks though Smile

No never intended that sorry it wasnt me Im sure you do as you have bred litters before I usually post replys for all to read too and thats why I post the way I do to try and discourage people breeding when they have no clue what there doing Like I said hope it all goes well
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 10:42

mysticbull wrote:Sort of feel like I'm being spoken to like I do t know what I am doing? Iv grown up around dogs, breeding and showing and my mum owns rescue and boarding kennel but when it comes to my own I want it to be right. She actually advised me to be wary of unknown studs to my bitch Purely on her bad experiences. I only breed when I have at least ten people wanting pups I do t breed all year round and only use the best in breed due to my own dogs all being Crossguns, I totally get what your both saying but I was merely being cautious rather than jumping in and forcing sky into a bad situation.
Thanks though Smile

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that! As gem says, this will be read by loads of others & a comprehensive answer is useful!

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down