Help required

3 posters

Go down

Help required Empty Help required

Post by Scoobaroo Fri Jan 27 2012, 20:47

Hi all 

Started letting angel off her lead when we go for a walk down the farm tracks in between farm fields, first few walk's she came back when called and we rewarded her mainly fussing her with"good girl"etc and then it started.

Now comes the problem which has happened twice now and I'm not sure how to handle the situation, we get to the usual part of the track then let her off, she has a little run around us then she bolts across the farm field and will not respond to anything, I have to start walking over the field to her and she pops up as if the distraction has gone and comes running back, she  knows she's done wrong as her tail is between her legs. Done wrong is probably the wrong word to use. I'm pretty sure she's picked up a scent of some sort and just seems to ignore anything around her and just go for it. 

We have taken her out with my sisters staffy down the beach  and shes fine on commands, I'm just worried about taking her to a more public area(the beach) on her own and then she just ignores any command. 

Thank for any help

Scoobaroo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angel
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help required Empty Re: Help required

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27 2012, 20:52

try a training lead an extended one and keep getting her to come back and each time give her lots of treats, eventually it will workot just takes lots of time and effort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27 2012, 21:31

Agree start with the long lead and plenty of practice until you are comfortable

Back to top Go down

Post by paul/beau Fri Jan 27 2012, 22:39

i started with beau in the back garden with him just following me round, every now and again if he walked next to me he would get a treat, once he got the hang of that we worked on cal back, so when he walked away i would recall if he came he would get a treat. it is hard work and the wife called me crazy for spending time just walking around the garden. but it has had grate benefits.

beau will come of the lead and walk with me if he goes to far i recall, but i always let him run around and have fun.

most of the time it is just being repetitive all the time even if the dog does not get it right all the time. keep you voice constant don't shout.

the lanes and tracks have cars passing every now and than so i have got beau to sit and stay when a say car when on the lead or off the lead.

but constant all the the time
paul/beau
paul/beau
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Fri Jan 27 2012, 22:54

Romeo's still a baby, but he can been naughty in that he knows i want him to come back but he thinks what he is doing is more fun. the others are right, a training lead is best. this way there is no room for failure. you set your dog up for sucsess everytime, i recomend clicker training as well, but its all up to everyones individual likes and dislikes.
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down