Advise Required

4 posters

Go down

Advise Required Empty Advise Required

Post by Lkr Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:29

Good Morning, I apologise for my first post here being a request for help. This seems like the best place to ask for opinion on whether or not what I am thinking of doing is correct or not.

A relation of mine has 'rescued' a puppy from an estate near where she lives which was chained up in the front garden with the words "I'm free take me".

She is an avid dog owner and could not just walk by, so took him with her after talking to the "owner" of the house, her intention is to phone the dogs trust in 10 days when they will accept him however when me and my partner were presented with the situation (we haven't seen him yet - cute puppy's are difficult to say no to) it got me thinking. We have been dog owners with for years but this will be our first together. We have looked into many breeds suitable for us labs, borders, British bulldogs etc but have been taking our time to decide what to do...

Onto the dog...

The obvious thing is I do not know the history of the dog. I had intended to visit the vet first so he can be checked over and scanned incase he is stolen or lost. Presumably the vet would decide to start him on his injections etc again incase he hasn't had them?

If we do decide to have him, after Doing a lot of reading on your forum I understand they can difficult to toilet train and need strong leadership from there owners, I have never done so before but I am strongly considering crating the puppy to help do you have any pointers & tips for this?

There of course many other questions I will have but in time I hope to become a part of what looks like a very helpfull and friendly community. Any help or suggestions you may have for my situation will be greatly apretiated.

Luke.

Lkr
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advise Required Empty Re: Advise Required

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:34

Hi & Advise Required Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advise Required Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advise Required Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advise Required Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advise Required Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Advise Required Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Advise Required Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Advise Required Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:36

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Here are a couple of links that should help.

[url=Hi & Advise Required Welcome]Hi & Advise Required Welcome[/url]

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/crate_training

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:49

Crikey !

Well defo get the pup checked over by the vet, if u decide to keep him he will prolly need vaccinating, worming, flea treatment and microchip.

Getting a staffy was the best thing we ever - given the training, attention, love and care they make fantastic companions. But u only get out of them what u are prepared to put in.

This forum carries a wealth of information, help and much support, so any probs - let us know.

Keep us updated with the pup x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:59

Hi Luke. Congrats on saving an animal in need Smile

Believe it or not Staffords are actually a very easy breed to toilet train, crate training will certainly help though. I have always found a key element in toilet training is when you are bringing your pup home take him straight to the garden or wherever he has to go to the toilet before you let him walk about the house. Stand outside with him until he goes. Chances are because he's young you wont be waiting too long. Once he goes make a big positive fuss and praise him. That will help him understand from the very start. Smile

And yes, def bring him to the vet for a good check up as soon as you can just to be sure Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 23 2013, 12:41

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me

I hope the owner who had the puppy chained up has now been reported. Toilet training can be a reasonable straight forward procedure. Make sure they go outside every hour, particularly after having a sleep, after having a meal and after having a play. Give lots of praise when he/she has gone to the toilet outside and you should be well on your way to a well house trained dog.

Crate training can be a God send to you, Rocky has a crate in the hall and will take himself off there when he needs some alone time. It will become your dogs safe haven, somewhere he/she can go to get away from everything.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 16:05

Welcome to the forum Smile if you decide to take the puppy, please do stick around and update us/feel free to ask for advice.

To be honest, I've read Staffs are difficult to toilet-train, but Loki was easy. He only ever peed in the house, and he understood the concept of only going outside very early on. The many accidents were mainly our fault for not recognising that he needed to go out.

As for leadership, that's not really an issue. I would say that Staffs can be very stubborn, but that just means you have to be even more stubborn and be consistent in your training. They can try your patience at times, being young, but it's worth it because they're such a loving, affectionate and funny breed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sat Mar 23 2013, 16:38

hi and welcome from me and tyke, well done on taking a step on rescuing a a dog.

i would recommend a trip to the vets. They will be able to check him out and see how he is doing in general. i will not lie to you this could be really easy or really hard and you have to say to your self, am i ready to stick this out when the going gets tough.

I would advise to get a crate, this will not only help with toilet training but as he coming into a new home this can be his own little place of security as and bed.

You may need alot a of patience and you will need to set guide lines etc

any other questions please ask Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 16:46

Hi & welcome from us, darcy took to toilet training & her crate like a duck To water, both were relatively easy. Good luck & well done one the rescue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 16:58

Hi and welcome

I was a first time Staffy owner over 2 years ago and had such a bad experience that I went and got another one just to make sure it wasn't bad luck Big Grin
The breed can be stubborn but also very intelligent and I have no doubt that in a few months time you will be thinking "Why didn't I get one of these years ago"
They are all very different like any other dog , Tilly was a pice of cake to toilet train , Tommy took a touch longer but right now I am in my office typing this with Tilly behind me on my chair keeping my back warm and Tommy laid on my feet keeping my feet warm, not sure I can keep up with this demanding behaviour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down